Prawn Fishing pretty good

Well I was invited out by another member to hit a well known spot by local fishermen around the Comox Valley on Friday. We set 6 Bauer traps and hailed 28 prawns. Try splitting that and make prawn tacos...... Pretty dam sad

If my recent outings are any indication the Commercial guys won't be hauling much out of the Inlet this year. I've had the worse results ever.
Started prawning on opening day and the numbers have gone from 800+/- prawns the frist couple days to 400+/- the next week to under a 100 at the end of last week. That was 22 days of prawning. We use to prawn just about all year long and always get 200-300 prawns a day. So we have pulled all your traps and are done for the year. Never seen it hit this hard in such short time and I've been doing this for 30+ years. We need a pulse fishery sooner in the season to manage stocks because as soon as the commies are finished we won't be anything left this year.

Casper5280,
We are done for the year most likely also. Pulled my boat out of mill bay last Monday. I agree, pulse fishing ASAP.

Casper5280,
We are done for the year most likely also. Pulled my boat out of mill bay last Monday. I agree, pulse fishing ASAP.
Yes alot of my buddies either pulled theirs last week or over the weekend. All said they can't believe how fast it dropped off this year. That being said I can't believe how many traps are out there this year. Between the ramp and Pat Bay there must have been a 1000 traps. Just from the ramp to the island it was just crazy. Where I prawn there is hardy any traps and the #'s are way down, can only imagine what it's like where there are traps stacked on top of each other.

Casper -22 days of prawning since April 1?
We don't need a pulse fishing, we need you and others prawning 22 of 27 days to ease up.
Lol!
I do not understand why so many people are out prawning day after day and putting thousands of prawns in the freezer. This is killing the stocks

We don't need a pulse fishing, we need you and others prawning 22 of 27 days to ease up.
Lol!
I do not understand why so many people are out prawning day after day and putting thousands of prawns in the freezer. This is killing the stocks

oh no, its the commies that are going to come and wipe out the inlet - not the sporties "getting their prawns for the year".

Casper5280,

You can decide yourself that to take less, that's always an option.

Oh and this thread has almost 8000 views, maybe next year don't brag about how good prawning is and it won't get so much pressure.

Lol!
That was 3 familys fishing for 10 of those days. Had friends from Alberta here and they were here the first 10 days. The last 11 days were for my family and friends and we took less in the last 11 days then my Albertian friends did in the first 2 and a half days. Believe me none of those prawns will go to waste.

Oh and this thread has almost 8000 views, maybe next year don't brag about how good prawning is and it won't get so much pressure.

I think that was mentioned on the first page of this topic..... You post it and they will come :)

Some people will never learn......

Not a word next year.

"You can decide yourself that to take less, that's always an option."

Hey Poppa, not sure what this means? I never once posted how many prawns I kept or didn't keep, I prawned two weekends in April as I was in the kootenays for a week, is that excessive to you?

Do you think it should be a catch and release fishery?

Last edited by a moderator:
The new regs we need is not pulse fishing the new sport regs should read

1 - all traps must be checked once every 8 hours
2 - no overnight soaks

There, problem of 1,000 traps fishing all month is solved.

P.S this would apply to crab traps too. The checking every 8 hours could maybe be removed and just state no overnight soaks to allow people to drop traps in the am fish a long summer day and then grab their traps on the way in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new regs we need is not pulse fishing the new sport regs should read

1 - all traps must be checked once every 8 hours
2 - no overnight soaks

There, problem of 1,000 traps fishing all month is solved.

That's actually a great idea. You gotta be out there fishing your traps, not just soaking them for 30 days straight.

Gear N Beer - I have no idea how much days your fishing or how many prawns you've taken. My point was, instead of waiting for DFO to tell us what to do, we as fishermen can decide to not be pigs.

That's actually a great idea. You gotta be out there fishing your traps, not just soaking them for 30 days straight.

Gear N Beer - I have no idea how much days your fishing or how many prawns you've taken. My point was, instead of waiting for DFO to tell us what to do, we as fishermen can decide to not be pigs.

Why did you use my quote? Was I being a pig?

No prob, and it's my backyard too, well finlayson arm anyway. 10 min walk to ocean

Is it not open all fall/winter? I don't prawn down there often. Maybe that is the problem you close it all the time and then bang open it. The other area where I go that is not the case. So takes me a few weeks and I am done for a while. The best is again winter hands down.

I seem to remember the inlet it was closed for quite a while...

I walked down there yesterday at Mill Bay. It has the heaviest pressure I have seen. Floats everywhere. So you combine that with heavy short run commercial opening and there you go.

Year round sport pulse with controlled year round commercial would be my vote...... These short burst of fishing just hammers them. South island is finally seeing that I believe. There also might might be more going on there...I wonder if this PH water thing has something to do with it. Hope not.

Someone has been systematically emptying prawn traps at night on the inlet. Last week they hit mine 3 out of 4 nights. The night they missed had 500 and the nights they hit them had 20 or less. I have reported this to the RCMP in Sidney and there is a file # 2014-1809. If enough of us complain perhaps they will take it seriously and catch these pricks.
Everyone I have spoken to has had the same thing happen to them

Back