Possible Chinook closure's

Mismanaged government resource. very sad to see. If mismanagement continues what does the immediate future hold? Sad for us but also future generations.

If mismanagement continues, why did the federal government hire bad people working in the fisheries department that allows too many commerical overfishing and putting many more fish closures?

quote:If mismanagement continues, why did the federal government hire bad people working in the fisheries department that allows too many commerical overfishing and putting many more fish closures?

I don't think they hire bad people working for DFO it is just they hire spineless people. The large commercial company's like Oceans, pretty much call the shots behind closed doors. DFO tries to do the right thing but industry has there own agenda. IMHO DFO doesn't want to deal with a bunch of angry commecial fishermen. As for a closure.. I'm all for it, but lets at least make it for 4 yrs so that all the cycles get to benefit from lower fishing pressure.

quote:The large commercial company's like Oceans, pretty much call the shots behind closed doors
I have seen it first hand. Companies like Canfisco etc would love to restrict the sport catch. Some of those old boys feel the best way to conserve salmon is to leave it to the commmercial fleet to manage. I was in a meeting a few years ago where the IPHC was trying to limit and even put closures on the sportfisherman's access to halibut because the prices were so high and they wanted a larger share.

quote:[
. As for a closure.. I'm all for it, but lets at least make it for 4 yrs so that all the cycles get to benefit from lower fishing pressure.
That will surely put a lot of people out of business...
Think of the marina's,tackle stores,charter guides etc.
who count on the fishery to make their living.
I would rather see reduced limits, maybe 1 per day ,max 2 possesion.

Relax, there has been NO proposed changes yet.
Lets hold our powder till we have some facts about what they propose.

quote:That will surely put a lot of people out of business...
Think of the marina's,tackle stores,charter guides etc.

I think that these people should look at the future and realize that unless something is done soon they won't have a fishery to worry about. According to the posts on this topic already I am willing to bet that folks would take up fishing for different species not stop fishing. So instead of selling lots of salmon gear the stores should just order in more halibut and trout gear? As for the guides.. Well they are probly the worst contributers out of the sporties to the population decline. Perhaps it would do them good to go and find a real job for 4 yrs. Having guided, (The guilt of catching so many fish actually got to me and so I stopped guiding and went to work as a fishery officer) I know that guideing is simply the best summer job a fisherman could possibly have, but in reality for the future of the resource it would be the best thing for the fish. Who knows maybe 4 yrs of no fishing would cripple the commercial and sportfishing industries and not do a bit of good for the stocks, but until we try no one will ever know.

Very nice there Rob how about you loose your livelyhood for 4 years and see how you like it sometimes you can be such an butt I respect somethings you say sometimes but if there is no fishing then you would be out of work too, I know I spend a LOT of money that goes into the community of sooke not to mention the renfrew guides so not only the guides but all the towns, city, small communities would greatly be affected!!!!!!!!!! NOW THAT IS THE BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!AND THE FUTURE!!!!!!It has a domino effect to every one to a conerstore to a major airline

WOLF

"A real job." It's not easy, sure it's a lot of fun, but there is still a lot of pressure to perform for your guests...plus some hassle from other fisherman etc. Guides are hard working...the least you can do is respect that......real classy of you. [xx(]

quote:Well they are probly the worst contributers out of the sporties to the population decline

Give me a break, anybody up to date on what is going on knows this has nothing to do with it.

All I can say is if chinook stocks/regulations go the way of coho and sockeye, the diverted sportfishing pressure on halibut/
bottomfish, crab and prawns etc. is going to f**k them up too.

Then it will really be time to sell the farm.

Anyone who thinks guiding is a hard job doesnt like fishing as much as I do [:p]
Previously stated on another topic.
quote:Just crunching some numbers.. I hear some guides bragging that they guide into 200 Springs a yr for there guests.. If half of them are females then there is potentialy 400,000 eggs out of the cycle. (I personally guided for 8 yrs and am responsible for about 1/2 million fry not making it back to the Ocean) Of those they (the top biologists) estimate only 15% make it out to the ocean. So if a guide catches and bonks on the head 100 female springs in a yr then he is potentialy decimateing the stock by about 60,000 fish that would have made it back into the ocean. Times that by the number of guides, then again by how long they have been guiding... gulp......

I know damb well that when I fish now for myself I don't take near the number of fish I took as a guide. Although I am allowed 700 Springs a yr I wouldn't need more than 20. Apparently I overestimated the foresight of some of the guides on here. I imagine I would get a similar reaction if I asked the commercials to not fish for 4 yrs or the Natives for that matter! That is the problem!

quote:Give me a break, anybody up to date on what is going on knows this has nothing to do with it.

60,000 don't make it back to the Ocean from each guide each yr. (if they take 200 fish) I know it is just a drop in the bucket, however it all adds up.

Perhaps not fishing Springs for 4 yrs might not make a difference like I said before.. Who knows? I am pretty sure it wouldn't hurt the stock though. And for the record I am not trying to "Blame</u>" anyone.. We are all in this together, (Natives, Sporties, and Commercials), now and I just want what is best for the fish. Obviously no fishing pressure would be ideal. I do not know what Ottawa has planned for the West Coast fishery? Who knows if any regs will even change? The way things are going is downhill if you havn't noticed. Maybe we have a chance now to turn it around? Call me a conservationist if you want.

"...The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." President Theodore Roosevelt.

quote:Originally posted by Robert Warren

As for a closure.. I'm all for it, but lets at least make it for 4 yrs so that all the cycles get to benefit from lower fishing pressure.

Makes sense to me nobodies going to like it but when it comes to this a one year closure would be a waste of time, too bad the hatcheries couldn't increase the chinook output over some of the other species chum pinks etc

It is definitely long hours anyway...well worth it without a doubt. And as far as the food fishery for natives is concerned, I agree with it for those who use it correctly, but many sell quite a bit of the fish, which is absurd, not to mention illegal. That is an area that absolutely needs to be cleaned up...if they are selling it, then they are taking more than is needed.

And I agree with the quote, but quoting someone who supports nordicism (racism) isn't always a good idea :p

quote:not to mention illegal.
debateable... is it not also illegal to infringe upon rights guaranteed under a treaty? You can't really call one act illegle by implementing an illegal act?

I'm fairly sure it isn't debateable...it's illegal, end of story. All citizens of Canada should be treated equally....same hunting rights, same fishing rights, same human rights for that matter. If a certain group is going to abuse a special right they are given, then why give it to them at all? The argument of the first nations I don't believe applies, as scientific proof shows they were not the first nations, but in fact killed off the nations before them.

However, this is getting side tracked....back to fishing, selling is illegal, yet it happens all too often, and those who sell get off easy. That needs to be changed.

I could have sworn I made a post here earlier about one group blaming the other. For the record I dont for a second believe guides are a cause of the collapse. They give the general public a chance at a public resource. To say you quit because of the guilt makes no sense at all unless you were doing something illegal out there or using dynamite. Guides are a big part of local economies and are ususally the first to help out in stream restoration or hatchery work. Namely because they depend on the resource so much. Personally I blame sasquatch mating patterns on salmon numbers being so low. I figure we have pointed the fingers at so many people why leave the sasquatch out of it. I think that Kokanee campaign is a way of cleaning up their image.

Back