Possible Chinook closure's

scott craven

I just read a grim article in the T.C. this morning about
poor Salmon returns, Chinook in particular.
DFO are already talking about either a complete closure or
reduced opportunities and catch limit's.

I hate to even think about the first option.

Ouch !!:(

Yeah, I heard about that. interesting, DFO didn't mention about commerical overfishing in Alberni canal last summer and also Alaska commericals took a lot of our fish near Canadian waters.

I think it is time to go troutfishing and maybe halibutfishing in next summer.

Nice for the Charter guys! I have 12 trips booked already and lots to come in the new year what can i tell my clients for 2008 ?
Lets go for a boat ride!
If they make it catch and release we can still make it! If they shut it down for one year the impact on the tourism industry here is going to take a pounding!
I rememeber when the shut down Gold river and made it catch and release we still went up and we have never had such great fishing!
We can keep our fishery with the hatcheries and if the DFO doesnt screw it up, Dont open the herring and anchovy fishery when the salmon need IT! This year they had a pilchard fishery WHY?!

Does anyone want to buy a Bertram with new twin 220 horse mercs and a client list?

They wouldn't go as far as to cut back all chinook fishing would they? I just can't see it happening. Commercial fishing is where the cuts need to be made!

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

They wouldn't go as far as to cut back all chinook fishing would they? I just can't see it happening. Commercial fishing is where the cuts need to be made!

Yes, they might go that far.
Commercial (troll) fishing on WCVI has taken hit after hit after hit the past few years. The quota last season was insufficient to provide for any real opportunities. Then this year the Dino cut that again by 40 %. Well and good you say? Lip Service actually. The springs the Area G Fleet largely targets are US origin, and have been for years. Basically up to 90% of the realized catch were US bound fish. The fish we sporties target are about 65% or better Canadian fish. Wherein lies the greatest impact??

Now, if we're talking the rape and pillage the bag & net fleets were allowed to perform in such areas as the Alberni Inlet, I would have to agree Whole-Heartedly!

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

The writing is on the wall for the Salmon fishery, I think... Time for us twin engine guys to pursue Albacore, I'm gonna give it a crack this summer.

Made it out there a few times last year LC. Very much a REEL Hoot! Bloody fast and furious Fun! Try it, you're gonna Love It! I know I will be chasing them again this coming year, FOR SURE!!

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Commercial (troll) fishing on WCVI has taken hit after hit after hit the past few years. The quota last season was insufficient to provide for any real opportunities. Then this year the Dino cut that again by 40 %. Well and good you say? Lip Service actually. The springs the Area G Fleet largely targets are US origin, and have been for years. Basically up to 90% of the realized catch were US bound fish. The fish we sporties target are about 65% or better Canadian fish. Wherein lies the greatest impact??

Now, if we're talking the rape and pillage the bag & net fleets were allowed to perform in such areas as the Alberni Inlet, I would have to agree Whole-Heartedly!

The writing is on the wall for the Salmon fishery, I think... Time for us twin engine guys to pursue Albacore, I'm gonna give it a crack this summer.

Made it out there a few times last year LC. Very much a REEL Hoot! Bloody fast and furious Fun! Try it, you're gonna Love It! I know I will be chasing them again this coming year, FOR SURE!!

Cheers,
Nog

Guides technicly ARE commercial fishermen, yes, but we don't have the ability to wipe out a whole run with the swoop of a net. I'm willing to bet that running full bore, the entire guide fleet along the coast takes far less then any two or three of the largest sieners out there.

As far as targetting Albi's, I'm looking forward to it, just need to do my research and figure it out.

I would hope for the sake of all those whose business's are related
to the Chinook fishery that DFO will make any closure announcement's
early.
It will not take the sting out, but at least there may be time to make other arrangements.

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Cheers,
Nog

Guides technicly ARE commercial fishermen, yes, but we don't have the ability to wipe out a whole run with the swoop of a net. I'm willing to bet that running full bore, the entire guide fleet along the coast takes far less then any two or three of the largest sieners out there.

Exactly what I meant.

Yes I remember it well. It was probably the best fishing the Charlottes had ever seen that summer but nobody wanted to go up because it was catch and release. After that we had numerous years of great fishing with the one over one under limits and everybody was happy. Don't know why the $^#@ bother changing it back but they did. Who are they trying to make happy? All you really need in a day is one nice chinook per person. Oh well at least I have pictures to show the grandkids when they call bull on my stories from back in the day!:(

They closed it down in 1995 to all sectors. That year the cowichan river had it's biggest return in the last 15 or more years,when they opened it up the next year numbers were back down.

cletus: "They closed it down in 1995 to all sectors. That year the cowichan river had it's biggest return in the last 15 or more years,when they opened it up the next year numbers were back down."

Well, that bad year right after the closure lift had then certainly nothing to do with the closure lift. Most VI chinooks have a 3 or 4 year cycle. I am not convinced that more stringent catch limits for the anglers will have any measurable effect...Please read under "Strait of Georgia Salmon Crisis Meeting" what seems to be the issue with low returns this year - and probably next year...

I was wondering why they showed such a big spike that year at the presentation - man that was a depressing meeting.

The area G troll has hade a huge impact on ECVI springs, especially the Cowichan River. Those fish caught may not make up the majority of the fish, but they are the majority of the Cowichan Run.

More Doom and Gloom announcments, belive it when i see it happen, just matter of time with such DFO miss managment though, been saying it for years. Can see it now, 300 guys anchored up at west constance in 2008, what no Halibut left???

Back