Possession of fish from multiple areas

BarryA

Crew Member
I'm trying to find a DFO page that mentions the rules regarding fishing in one area while retaining fish caught from another. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the legality of having a ling on board I caught in 18-1 while fishing for salmon in 29-4 (where ling cannot be retained).

Am I allowed to fish in both areas, or do I need to offload my 18-1 ling before fishing in 29-4?

thx in advance...

You need to off load that fish is what i was told by Fishery Officers

Fishtofino -- thx, that's pretty much what I figured. Guess I'll have to target ling only after I catch my 84.9cm 28# salmon.

I fish multiple areas all of the time and don't return mid trip. I just record my catch as specified in the regs.
I recommend calling DFO and asking, those officers might have just been overstepping their authority.

maybe take a picture of your GPS lat/long when and where you've caught your ling?
I have plenty of proof on my plotter, you can easily spot a hookup on your tracks since the boat path becomes much more erratic while you maneuver to keep the fish in position.

the fact that I can even prove I was fishing elsewhere that day seems good enough, provided there is no stated rule that clearly precludes this.

Not a problem.
I have been checked on the water with springs and coho on board.
Fishing in an area outside the coho keep area.
Just told the guy where I caught them ( a few miles away).
The enforcement guys are normally pretty reasonable.
No need to offload the fish.
Nowhere in the regs does it say that you cant posses fish in an ares where that species is closed.

Back