Possession limits

LOL! Well, I give up. If folks aren't going to bother reading what I write but simply assume I want to greedily kill more fish, so be it. Cheers everyone.

Ukee

I think it's funny that you guys feel like the rules are biased against you ?
If i want to head up to the interior to do some trout fishing on your pristine lakes,
guess what I can only take home my possession limit.

I think it's funny that you guys feel like the rules are biased against you ?
If i want to head up to the interior to do some trout fishing on your pristine lakes,
guess what I can only take home my possession limit.

Hey its always fun to poke the bear.
But seriously if it cost an Islander $2k every time they wanted to take home 4 Chinooks they'd be pissed too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I'm with you man.
Local island greed is taking over this thread.
The Island is a big place! Lots of island people leave home to fish different areas of it and fall under the same regulations you do!

Yea that about right for a week.
Truck gas $500
Ferries $200
Groceries $200
Moorage $200
Bait $50
Boat gas $900

**** that's more than I thought!

I get that it's expensive for you to come fish, it is what it is.

But where's the connection?

How are possesion limits tied to the cost of fishing?

Fishing has NEVER been about getting affordable fish for the table, if you want cheap fish then go to the store.

A two day possession limit for 2 anglers fishing the west coast (area 23/123) etc is 16 salmon, 12 lings, 4 halibut, 12 rockfish, 24 crab, 800 prawns...

Seriously, is that not enough for you? How much do you think you're entitled to per trip to the west coast? Gimme a break...

It's attitudes like this that reinforce the idea of a two tiered system. (not to attack you Trendsetter, there is a lot of this opinion in the other 18 pages). For most people East that "per trip to the west coast" possession limit equals an annual limit. If that limit is good enough for my friends in Alberta, it is good enough for everyone. Lets just make that the annual catch limit for all Canadians and be done with it. Of course that's a bad idea, but I hope you get the point.

My only real problem is how these possession limits are put into force. As I stated earlier, the law saying that I can only have my limit in my possession makes no sense. I cannot carry my niece and nephews limit back with me from the Island, with there licenses, because they are going to vacation there after words. What if I have a friend who comes from Prince George who stays in a hotel and we do a weekend charter. I cannot legally bring his fish back to my place and freeze them for him. I would have his license, with all information documented. He is a Canadian citizen with just as much legal ownership over those fish as me, but because he lives somewhere else he has to pay a processor and wait months. I understand the intent behind the law, but if you have substantiated proof that the fish were caught legally (a copy of a license should suffice) you should be allowed.

As for all those claiming that this possession limit vs travel/expenses is equal to trout fishing in the interior are mistaken. Lets be honest, if you live ANYWHERE in BC and cannot catch a 2 day limit in 3 solid days of fishing (average length of a charter on the ocean), hang up your rods. The province (who owns the freshwater species) have done an fair job at giving all residents of the province equal opportunities.

As for all those claiming that this possession limit vs travel/expenses is equal to trout fishing in the interior are mistaken. Lets be honest, if you live ANYWHERE in BC and cannot catch a 2 day limit in 3 solid days of fishing (average length of a charter on the ocean), hang up your rods. The province (who owns the freshwater species) have done an fair job at giving all residents of the province equal opportunities.

Now you've lost me, if it's that easy then everyone goes home happy right ?

Yea that about right for a week.
Truck gas $500
Ferries $200
Groceries $200
Moorage $200
Bait $50
Boat gas $900

**** that's more than I thought!

IMO this thread is getting rather tiresome and maybe just a little whinny.....

The rule is the same for everyone plain and simple. If you choose to travel away from your home residence and want to bring home fish from that "away" location, everyone has to deal with possession limits equally. When I travel to Vancouver Island on a muti-day trip I have to deal with possession limits and the costs associated with that trip. Everyone has costs associated with travel .....again , equal for everyone. When I fish Vancouver Island or elsewhere in BC I have to abide by the 2 day possession limit, but when I fish out of Vancouver, I don't. And who's fault is it that I choose to live in Vancouver far enough away from Vancouver Island fishing that I have to deal with the 2 day possession limit reg when I travel there on a multi-day trip ?

I think the answer is obvious ..... even though I'd love to convince DFO its their fault that I don't live closer to the best fishing spots ;).

It's attitudes like this that reinforce the idea of a two tiered system. (not to attack you Trendsetter, there is a lot of this opinion in the other 18 pages). For most people East that "per trip to the west coast" possession limit equals an annual limit. If that limit is good enough for my friends in Alberta, it is good enough for everyone. Lets just make that the annual catch limit for all Canadians and be done with it. Of course that's a bad idea, but I hope you get the point.

you're agrument is a non sequitur - one of the lamest forms of debate there is.

a 2-day limit is A LOT of fish, you don't like it, there's always golf.

you're agrument is a non sequitur - one of the lamest forms of debate there is.

a 2-day limit is A LOT of fish, you don't like it, there's always golf.

If you read what I said, I agree a 2 day limit is a lot of fish. My point was that many people on here are arguing that 2 a day limit is more than anyone can use if you live inland. Once you live on the coast then it is nowhere near enough, and a person needs their annual limit to scrape by.

As for my earlier post comparing trout to salmon, It was a bad day and I was being short. For that I apologize. It was an argument about ownership. Trout in this province are owned by the residents of this province. As such, I think the province has done an excellent job in providing everyone with a fair opportunity to catch and retain a limit of trout no matter where they live. Salmon, on the other hand, are owned by all the citizens of Canada, however, through a matter of geography not everyone has equal access. As such efforts should be made to make possession and distribution as equitable as possible.

If you read what I said, I agree a 2 day limit is a lot of fish. My point was that many people on here are arguing that 2 a day limit is more than anyone can use if you live inland. Once you live on the coast then it is nowhere near enough, and a person needs their annual limit to scrape by.

As for my earlier post comparing trout to salmon, It was a bad day and I was being short. For that I apologize. It was an argument about ownership. Trout in this province are owned by the residents of this province. As such, I think the province has done an excellent job in providing everyone with a fair opportunity to catch and retain a limit of trout no matter where they live. Salmon, on the other hand, are owned by all the citizens of Canada, however, through a matter of geography not everyone has equal access. As such efforts should be made to make possession and distribution as equitable as possible.

They already did, they allow you to take TWO days worth of fish home with you, which is plenty. Want to more fish, then go fishing again. Nobody is forcing you to live away from the ocean, if fish is that important to you make a life choice to move.

If having a big cheap house and oil money was important to me I'd move to Alberta, you are free to do as you please.

BTW - how much fish do you want to take home from one trip? Like would 10 chinooks work for you, 15? what's the number?

This thread, through mostly articulate and polite debate, raises some realities that many of us need to be more aware of:
- the lining up, tying gear, and anticipation of a trip is as rewarding as the trip itself.
- the take down and battle with the fish is more memorable than any fish dinner.
- feeling badly about releasing the first few fish of the day and then not getting a limit is okay, not a stupid mistake.
- trout are best enjoyed as a catch and release species, so when will the same sentiment become more prevalent for coho and chinooks?
- if calculating the cost of boating and fishing on a per pound basis is folly, wouldn't bringing enough home for a few fresh dinners rather than a full limit be okay too?
- a two day limit is plenty of fish for someone that loves fishing enough to make financing multiple trips a priority. A two day limit is more than enough fish for the person that fishes one trip per year; clearly he or she does it for the experience and logically has no reasonable expectation of a full freezer.
- Those (like me) who travel to and enjoy fishing and being on the island, need to learn to relax, stay longer, keep the fish from the end of the trip, release the early ones and stop worrying about work-arounds for the regs. The speed-fishing weekend trips are sometimes a necessity but full limits out of them need to become less of a norm.
- Many of us will retire on the island if fishing is a high priority.

They already did, they allow you to take TWO days worth of fish home with you, which is plenty. Want to more fish, then go fishing again. Nobody is forcing you to live away from the ocean, if fish is that important to you make a life choice to move.

If having a big cheap house and oil money was important to me I'd move to Alberta, you are free to do as you please.

BTW - how much fish do you want to take home from one trip? Like would 10 chinooks work for you, 15? what's the number?

After this I am done with this thread. Again, I fully agree that a 2 day possession limit is a plenty, fail to see how that is so hard to understand. What I don't understand is people who say that it is enough for those can't fish everyday, but those who can need more. To me once the fish is being shipped home, or at a processors it should be removed from the possession limit.

I can catch my 8 chinook in a weekend, drive home, throw them in the freezer and go out again next weekend and catch 7 more (for 15 annual limit in 29). How is that different them the my friend from Alberta coming into town for 2 weeks, catching eight one weekend, putting his fish in my freezer, then going out again and catching 7 more the weekend before going home? Salmon belong to all Canadians equally, however, he is breaking the law where as I am not.

BTW - you were so close. I do make my money in Oil and Gas, though it is mostly in BC. And honestly, the trip next month will probably be the most fish I have taken home in years. With the exception of sockeye openings, and pinks in the river I usually C & R. Try to catch a coho for my B-day BBQ in October and that about it.

Fresh out of the microwave up at da beach.

uploadfromtaptalk1403939810911.jpg

Carry on......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back