Possession Limit Question

It is your fault tho if your plan is to take it to the processor so you can keep more on the same 4 day trip. IMO your doing it then for the sole purpose of getting around the law.

If you returned to your ordinary resident but you stuff is stuck at the processor that's different IMO.

There are people that will be printing out multiple license this year and taking there catch to processors so they can double up on trips and I think we can all agree that is just plane wrong.

Exactly my point from last year. If you return home to your residence. You should be good to go. Why should a lawful fisher who has returned home be unable to fish for 4 weeks or 3 months because of St Jeans capacity limitations. It never made sense. And I never suggested dropping fish at St Jeans so you could get back out fishing when you were away from your regular residence. Not the way I roll.

Enforcement of this is greatly lacking. I was on the North Island last week and every unit in the campsite had a big freezer plugged in to their rv. I know for a fact these people were taking more than their possession limit. I also saw one guy on the road with a Ford Ranger - Idaho plates who had 6 of the giant igloo coolers in the back of his truck with a cargo net over it. What was that guy up to? He wasn’t coming up here to get Lucky Lager. He probably had to put overload springs on the truck just to keep the arse end from dragging when it was full if fish and ice.

These people know that there is very little enforcement and who cares if they get fined a few Canadian pesos.

Enforcement of this is greatly lacking. I was on the North Island last week and every unit in the campsite had a big freezer plugged in to their rv. I know for a fact these people were taking more than their possession limit. I also saw one guy on the road with a Ford Ranger - Idaho plates who had 6 of the giant igloo coolers in the back of his truck with a cargo net over it. What was that guy up to? He wasn’t coming up here to get Lucky Lager. He probably had to put overload springs on the truck just to keep the arse end from dragging when it was full if fish and ice.

These people know that there is very little enforcement and who cares if they get fined a few Canadian pesos.

Saw very similar in Kyuquot last week with guys camped on a beach; generators and huge freezerS running. Have seen them there a number of years and even the locals know of it but nothing is done.

I don’t understand why people wouldn’t report something like this if they knew for a fact it’s going on.

I bring my own deepfreeze along also doesn’t mean I fill it 3 times to the brim, I bring it because I want a quality product when I’m done and I want my fish frozen fast and to stay frozen and I don’t want every man banging my fish bags around. People camping on a beach or in an RV site probly have no other option other than bringing their freezers, what choice do they have.

Not saying it’s not happening but I would make sure before accusing people of such a thing.

Attachments

• 0F1E4F85-8648-44E1-9F51-8C35F721013A.jpeg
    0F1E4F85-8648-44E1-9F51-8C35F721013A.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 73
6 coolers for 4 guys is pretty common, Remember their getting their possession limit often in multiple species. Halibut, ling cod, rockfish, crab, pawns, salmon, cod ect...

He could have been up for a few days with friends or family fishing and the rest of the party with the RV’s are maybe going to travel some and take their time getting home and this guy came up to fish a few days then was taking the fish home for everyone so they could relax and travel and not have to worry about their fish. Could be a few different things doesn’t mean that they are doing something wrong.

Saw very similar in Kyuquot last week with guys camped on a beach; generators and huge freezerS running. Have seen them there a number of years and even the locals know of it but nothing is done.
Unless there are multiple calls to the rapp line nothing will change

I spend a month at Alder Bay in the summer. I can retain 8 salmon (within species limits, of course) and 1 or 2 halibut. My wife can keep the same. My 3.6 cu ft freezer parked beside my trailer won’t hold that much!

As an aside, after I left this summer, DFO came through the park and did a few freezer checks. They did find one violated (a Canadian) and confiscated the fish. Don’t know about a fine.

I don’t understand why people wouldn’t report something like this if they knew for a fact it’s going on.

I bring my own deepfreeze along also doesn’t mean I fill it 3 times to the brim, I bring it because I want a quality product when I’m done and I want my fish frozen fast and to stay frozen and I don’t want every man banging my fish bags around. People camping on a beach or in an RV site probly have no other option other than bringing their freezers, what choice do they have.

Not saying it’s not happening but I would make sure before accusing people of such a thing.

Reporting in Kyuquot is almost a moot point as it's very rare that DFO is up there for enforcement. Believe me.....we call stuff in all the time if seeing illegal activity.

Dumb question but without walking into a beach camp and inspecting freezers where do you draw the line at accusing or reporting?

So true but i was told they need multiple calls to build cases based on boat registration #'s and license plate numbers

I don’t know where people get the balls to do stuff like that. I sweat over every detail in order to have it right, I do everything possible laying my fillets perfect in the vacuum bags even going go as far to fold the inner bags the right way so it doesn’t interfere with the easy identification of fish. I don’t want anything to ruin my trip and have something wrong and it cost even more money than it does. Crazy people would risk so much.

I don’t know where people get the balls to do stuff like that. I sweat over every detail in order to have it right, I do everything possible laying my fillets perfect in the vacuum bags even going go as far to fold the inner bags the right way so it doesn’t interfere with the easy identification of fish. I don’t want anything to ruin my trip and have something wrong and it cost even more money than it does. Crazy people would risk so much.

you’re leaving the tail on those fillets for easy ID right? :) sorry couldn’t resist. so many bloody rules to remember

Back