Possession Limit Question

BigBadBrad

Hi guys,

Just finished a great trip staying down grappler inlet fishing Barkley Sound. I dropped my possession limit of Chinook and coho off at St jeans to get smoked and canned. I was planning on going fishing again next week and was wondering if it is still legal for me retain salmon and bring them home? St jeans said it would take 3 months until I received my product.

If I was on an 8 day trip and dropped off my possession limit at st jeans on day 4 can I then continue to fish and retain more salmon? Obviously never going over my 10 Chinook a year limit.

Gracious!

BBB

No longer in your possession; you can reset and reload. this is a huge loophole that DFO cannot enforce.
they don’t like it, but technically you’re good to go.

told to my face from a DFO officer friend of mine.

Thats good to know. That sure wasn't the sentiment on this board last year. Seems fair to me. Not the fishers fault if a processor has a back log and can't do your fish in a week or two. Why should you be penalized and not be able to fish for 3 months. Senseless... The news I always expected frankly.

Really its going to take 3 months to prepare your fish, that sounds ridiculous.
Typical turn around for a processor that takes in a ton of fish from sport fishing lodges and rec fishers in BC. Earlier in the season their turn around was 2-3 weeks which was the shortest they have ever had at that time of the year.

I don't think they will do canning. I know it is almost impossible to obtain that license and St Jeans is one on a very short list that has it.

Just curious guys i know the prices vary but how much are you looking at to get a possession limit of salmon processed?? say some canned, smoked ect...

Thats good to know. That sure wasn't the sentiment on this board last year. Seems fair to me. Not the fishers fault if a processor has a back log and can't do your fish in a week or two. Why should you be penalized and not be able to fish for 3 months. Senseless... The news I always expected frankly.

It is your fault tho if your plan is to take it to the processor so you can keep more on the same 4 day trip. IMO your doing it then for the sole purpose of getting around the law.

If you returned to your ordinary resident but you stuff is stuck at the processor that's different IMO.

There are people that will be printing out multiple license this year and taking there catch to processors so they can double up on trips and I think we can all agree that is just plane wrong.

Last edited:
Yes.....it was the thread about Moutcha Bay saying you could get your limit processed and still go for more.

I was part of the dialogue on that thread and emailed DFO; directly from them stated until you return to your residence you can not have more than your possession limit in any form.

And on a side note.....any fish you consume is also part of your possession limit.

In a nutshell I can be in Tofino for a week and take my daily limit into Trilogy day in and day out but once at my possession limit I can not retain any more fish.

Yes.....it was the thread about Moutcha Bay saying you could get your limit processed and still go for more.

I was part of the dialogue on that thread and emailed DFO; directly from them stated until you return to your residence you can not have more than your possession limit in any form.

And on a side note.....any fish you consume is also part of your possession limit.

In a nutshell I can be in Tofino for a week and take my daily limit into Trilogy day in and day out but once at my possession limit I can not retain any more fish.

So, folks on your way to the processor, with the 3 month lead time, with your fish limits, make sure you make a quick stop in your driveway before you go back fishing.

So, folks on your way to the processor, with the 3 month lead time, with your fish limits, make sure you make a quick stop in your driveway before you go back fishing.

Yup.....that's basically it.

Imagine with a lead time on processing if I just kept leaving fish in Tofino at the processor and was stopped on my way home in October with a bunch of possession limits; I don't think I am going to fair too well.

I guess Fisheries Officers could be real dicks and sit outside the parking so if I have more than 1 possession limit at the processor here in Vancouver and pick up all at one time I may have some s'plaining to do. :p

I could be wrong but I recall someone saying many years ago that a lot of this was put in place because a lot of "out of towners" were showing up in areas setting up RV's with their own canning equipment.

Yup.....that's basically it.

Imagine with a lead time on processing if I just kept leaving fish in Tofino at the processor and was stopped on my way home in October with a bunch of possession limits; I don't think I am going to fair too well.

I guess Fisheries Officers could be real dicks and sit outside the parking so if I have more than 1 possession limit at the processor here in Vancouver and pick up all at one time I may have some s'plaining to do. :p

I could be wrong but I recall someone saying many years ago that a lot of this was put in place because a lot of "out of towners" were showing up in areas setting up RV's with their own canning equipment.

That’s exactly why it was done I must admit my parents were one of them. It was all legal at the time so it’s not like they were doing anything wrong just doing what was done at the time. We would set up our camp and mom would have the canners going and dad and brothers and I would fish. There were daily limits which we didn’t exceed and the possession limits for canning were based on quarts or pints per person not actual fish numbers. Make no mistake none was wasted either we had a big family and it all went to use but again I can certainly see why the regs were changed.

Personally I’ve never found a reason to bend the rules they are what they are. We find the regulations plenty enough for our family if it isn’t well then I guess fishing isn’t for you maybe one should find something else to do or another means of feeding the family. Each person can retain 8 salmon in total on a trip, if there are a couple family members that’s 16 fish if 8 of those are chinook averaging 18# that’s a good chunk of food. If it’s 3 or 4 family members that’s 24 or 32 fish that’s lots of food. Surly we aren’t spending all the money we do going fishing expecting it to pay for itself cause it won’t, not those of us that travel any great distance to do it. The meat we get is just a bonus and a chance to get something back not all but just something.

The days are gone when people can live off the land, there’s just to many people this day and age. We have to look at it as a treat and an occasion when we have wild game. It’s sucks I know but it’s the days we live in.

The chin canneries in CR were no joke, I know of one under cover sting operation back in the day. DFO went undercover camping and would watch people. Funny stories DFO would sit at the campfire the night before and watch then can way more then their limit. Would go and bust them the next day and they would denigh it all.

Lots of Americans had up to 100 cases packed away in their arrow streamers.

Back