Portable Fish Finder

Sitkaspruce

I am in the market for a portable fish finder/sonar for my 12'.

I have been looking at Lowrance and Hummingbird portables, just not sure of screen size.

Any experiences with any models??

Cheers

SS

I have the hummingbird 140 c (for sale) it's a decent unit I use it on my canoe good for finding structure not sure how accurate the side scan is though

cabelas in Nanaimo has lowrance marc 4hdi for 239.00 dollars gps chartplotter included and you can make your own maps with insight genesis software just make a bracket for transducer to then clamp on boat

$35 ..and you pay shipping...works great Lowrance portable.
Fisher_Dude will be on the island in may...save shipping...going to sooke

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that portable, or any portable work well in the salt or are they really only good in the fresh water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has no one used them in the saltwater? I have a row boat that I salmon fish with and don't want to add the weight of a large battery to the boat. There are lots of regular( non portable) units that are made for the salt specifically so there must be some performance differences. I am wondering if the portable units are useful in the salt. Maybe they don't have enough juice to be accurate in the more turbid water. Maybe I'm way off and it's fine. Thanks

I don't take mine in the salt, I don't think it would hold up well the battery pack has been replaced due to some corosion and I have only used it in freshwater

Thanks for the reply.
It sounds like maybe even if the unit displayed properly the rest of the unit might not hold up for long in the salt environment.
If anyone out there had been using it in the salt chuck I'd really appreciate the feedback
Thanks angus

Back