Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

Any signs of sockeyes, guys? Leaving for Renfrew on Saturday.

I think you mean feet not fathoms? 70 feet sounds about right, thanks.

no he means fathoms as in 420 ft of water. fish are any where from 30 to 75 ft deep.

Yes, at 420 feet deep!!!! Right, and I might have started a bit deeper so thanks for that.
Excellent feedback. Now I know exactly where to start.

Any suggestions for the Swiftsure Bank this weekend... I havent been up this year.. Looking for both Salmon and Halibut.. Gear suggestions and location would be super helpful.
Cheers..

Two days of big slab action at Camper fri &sat. Out at first light and our limit by 8:30 friday. 1- 40lber, 2-30lbers and a scrappy 28lber to round it out. Out to 600 ft of water to bag a sockeye and three pinks and back in to dry land by noon.
Saturday first light and another four slabs in the boat. 1-35lb , 1-30lb, a 26 and a 22, with a 24lber released for good Karma. Fresh run came through on the tide swing. Smaller fish, but super scrappy and shiny bright. Out to 100 feet of water for two quick double headers of pinks and the fishing was done. Probably my best trip of fishing... ever!
Lot of soft hits,especially at first light. Had to watch the lines like a hawk as a subtle tic was enough to maul the bait.
Most hits were preceded by a tic on the line, with a good rod pump as much as twenty seconds after, so dont be quick to pull up if you think you had a strike.

Ebb fishing at it's finest!

hali still coming in off the drift on the ranch kelly or is it turning into an anchor show?

Guys it is still hot in Renfrew. Worked a bit harder to get alot of action but once we dialed things in and kept to our game plan things rounded off to be another fantanstic trip.

A few pics

Oh and yes that slab was taken on a cast fly. Saw a few nice porpoising springs and cast to them. What a fight!

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 118
A few more

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 93
Halis were on the drift yesterday, and the anchor today. Looks like our Swiftsure drift'n'jerk season is over. Anchor was great with 6 kept and several released. Salmon is good on the banks, but slowing down. Crabbing is FINALLY starting to slow down a bit, but a couple of traps ought to get you a great feed! Back at 'er again tomorrow!

We also had a great weekend... Havent seen fishing this good in a while and so much life happening on the bank its just great to see... Everyone has smiles on there face...

How did it go on sunday, Peterman? Out to the bank again? Dave is due for some luck so I hope you slammed them good!

We whent out for Salmon at logan and got 2 early another at Walbran.... plus broke off a couple... Ran out for Hali. Anchored up and got 2 nice 40's and a 100 lber...Just a gong show as she wrapped up all the other lines and just missed the anchor rope... We packed it in after that... Didnt try to kill ourselve trying to get limits of everything... Davey was pretty happy... Mike N. had a pretty good time playing a few salmon and a hali. real nice guy... he's got all teh photos plus some video... just waitin to get it.

My son and I are relatively new to Hali fishing and will probably not get out again this yearApprox where do you go and what depth? Thanks.

Back