Port Renfrew report

casper5280

Crew Member
I'm planning on going there end of next week and would like to know any recent reports .I've heard that it was slow a while ago,but no recent reports since the derby.Thanks

Just came back from there , very slow , got 3 coho in the low teens for 3 days thrashing the water to foam as it were , rained heavy last night and of course its clearing again , need a couple of days heavy downpour then look out I think , will be watching the weather and ready to go.
Nice to be retired you can wait for the moment to give 'er.

AL

Alley Cat that was what I was thinking ,if this rain has got them moving.I've got from Wedesday till Tuesday open just need the signal and I'm there.

Probably see you out there then , I am in an 18 ft Livingston , white -dk. blue trim line , all Yamaha powered , yell and wave if you see me and we can have a beer and a chat after.

AL

From what I understand they are still out at the the banks. The rains this weekend should hopefully bring them in.

I hope I'm wrong but I think you'll find out that there aren't many more Coho(at least biters) on the way no matter how much it rains. Our run of Coho down in Puget Sound has come and gone. They all went right thru the Straits, through Puget Sound and into the rivers. Our rivers are stuffed with Coho and have been for some time. They just had lock jaw in the salt this year, no idea why it was as bad as it was. Everytime I went out in the Straits or in Puget Sound I marked fish on the sounder all day, more than I ever have. Went for lots of "boat rides" pulling everything in my tackle box past all those fish with no luck. They just simply were not feeding. I here lots of people say they are still coming because it's been so dry. Hope so but my opinion is that they have come and gone.

Good luck. Let us all know if it turns on out there.

Slabby

A lot of the fish around Port Renfrew spawn in the San Juan and Gordon River's (which is right in Port Renfrew) and are not mainland fish, so they still might be some out there waiting to come in.

Its a different run for sure. Northern Coho with much larger sizes than you would get farther down the straight. Some years they havent even come until november.

The fisheries officer I talked to a few years ago said there are still coho entering the San Juan into December. This is such a weird year who knows what will happen.Do the rain dance.
T2

Back