Port Renfrew open for 2022?

Clint r

Anybody know what’s happening in Renfrew this year? Last year the talk was about FN taking over Gateway Marina. That still going ahead? The FN campground going to be open? I’ve got a few messages out but no replies yet. Been a few years since we were last there so would like a heads up before I start making any concrete plans.

Anybody know what’s happening in Renfrew this year? Last year the talk was about FN taking over Gateway Marina. That still going ahead? The FN campground going to be open? I’ve got a few messages out but no replies yet. Been a few years since we were last there so would like a heads up before I start making any concrete plans.
Following, I hope they get the campsite online some day.

What about Bud and Rex are they not still running the Port Renfrew Marina up the River from the reservation?

Not too sure? Never been up there. Did/do they have a public boat launch there? We’ve been 3 or 4 times but not in the last 3 years. We usually stay at the res campground and moor our boat at the native dock but our new to us boats quite a bit bigger and might be a bear to launch there.

*looked at my navionics app and it shows there is a ramp but no reservations for a campsite

Last edited:
If the proposed DFO SRKW protected areas go ahead then fishing for the whole south end of Van Isle, including Port Renfrew is in serious jeopardy! We need to fight hard against there going ahead. We must attend the consultation meeting and tell DFO that these restrictions will destroy the public fishery in this area with little real benefit to the SRKW!

Not too sure? Never been up there. Did/do they have a public boat launch there? We’ve been 3 or 4 times but not in the last 3 years. We usually stay at the res campground and moor our boat at the native dock but our new to us boats quite a bit bigger and might be a bear to launch there.

*looked at my navionics app and it shows there is a ramp but no reservations for a campsite
They do have a ramp but you need to watch the tide as it can be shallow on low tide and there is a certain route to follow up river to the ramp.

If the proposed DFO SRKW protected areas go ahead then fishing for the whole south end of Van Isle, including Port Renfrew is in serious jeopardy! We need to fight hard against there going ahead. We must attend the consultation meeting and tell DFO that these restrictions will destroy the public fishery in this area with little real benefit to the SRKW!
Any links to this?

They do have a ramp but you need to watch the tide as it can be shallow on low tide and there is a certain route to follow up river to the ramp.
Shallower than the mouth of the river? First time there, the very first thing I made sure to do was grind off about 2” of my propeller just so I would never forget the path through.

The marina never sold. Deal fell through in fall.

What about Bud and Rex are they not still running the Port Renfrew Marina up the River from the reservation?

No.

Have no details other than when I talked to Bud last he said he was out of the marina business, several months ago.

Here's an old pic of Bud throwing a fan while doing a cutback at Jordan River back over 40 years ago in compensation for my lack of info.

99Budscutty.jpg

Take care.

Rex has marina now and like whole in the water said might not be any fishing on south coast
Well I have camped there many years but not since about five years ago.
It’s a fish camp campground like Bamfield used to be in grappler inlet many years ago.
Not the same if you can’t catch a fish and throw another log on the fire when you get back to rest and repeat the next day. So sad to see everything that the average Joe could partake in gradually disappearing.

Well I have camped there many years but not since about five years ago.
It’s a fish camp campground like Bamfield used to be in grappler inlet many years ago.
Not the same if you can’t catch a fish and throw another log on the fire when you get back to rest and repeat the next day. So sad to see everything that the average Joe could partake in gradually disappearing.
Just read on another thread that Seabeam in grappler inlet just sold and no more rentals so that is the end of that one.

Just read on another thread that Seabeam in grappler inlet just sold and no more rentals so that is the end of that one.
You never know. Maybe they take a year to fix some issues and open it back up as a lodge?

As noted Bud is no longer involved with PRM. Rex is running. I believe it is mostly booked up with seasonal rentals. Not much for short term.
Gateway did not sell from what I heard. So still option there with plenty of cabins to rent close by. Pacheedaht campground is good to go. Best to call but it is really booked up and is not a "fishing" camp. We booked 3 weekends for the summer but had to call 100 times to get through and reserve. Still lots of options.

Any links to this?
Whole in the water was in the same meeting as me and he might have better copies of the maps. The maps do show the Port Renfrew area

As far as I know, the lined areas noted on the map (see index) are under discussion. The attached map is of the areas being investigated and nothing is carved in stone yet, but as we have seen in the Victoria area things change. Like the year DFO was going to close salmon fishing west of Sherringham but instead the closure started at Otter Point west. Never saw that coming.

The SFAB is doing everything possible for fisherman to receive more fishable areas. The problem is, there are more and more groups fighting for closures than fisherman fighting to get more access to the resource. These groups have lots of funding and it is getting harder and harder for volunteers (SFAB) putting in hundreds of hours of their own time (free) to fight back.

The second map shows whale activity areas. As we all know there are lots of groups wanting fishing shut down in areas of high whale activity or just shut down ........ Guess which areas the lobbyist will probably want closed? Looks like Port Renfrew, Gulf Island and the mouth of the Fraser River to me.
These areas are also under discussion and nothing has been finalized.

Thanks god we have the SFAB to challenge these DFO fishing changes. It takes a lot of time in meeting, and more time writing letter to even get your foot in the door to discuss the issues.

Attachments

• areas under consideration.jpg
    areas under consideration.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 95
  • whale activity area.jpg
    whale activity area.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 94
West Coast closure on map is, in my opinion, a big bark and small if any bite!!

The SFAB is doing everything possible for fisherman to receive more fishable areas. The problem is, there are more and more groups fighting for closures than fisherman fighting to get more access to the resource. These groups have lots of funding and it is getting harder and harder for volunteers (SFAB) putting in hundreds of hours of their own time (free) to fight back.
Well there are a lot of sportiest that live near the mouth of the Fraser so by that measure the Fraser should be good to fish again with reasonable conservation measures.

Back