Port Alberni Salmon Derby

So I heard the 2013 Port Derby is going to be a coho derby due to the possible chinook restrictions in Area 23. Anyone else heard this as well?

Thanks for posting the article

As quoted from the article
"We're trying to figure out why the return is so small," Cole said.

Could it be... taking nearly everything returning to the river in nets starting with seines at the mouth of the river to native nets strung all the way up river has taken it's toll?

This isn't rocket science that is for sure.
I have been posting on the mis- management of this fishery for years, sending letters making phone calls.
Just basically wasting my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't stop fighting a good fight Islandgirl. There are many more along side of you. Please don't stop writing and fighting.

Correct me if I am wrong . It seems to me that Chinook where closed and they had a Coho derby back in 1996 i think it was. I did not enter that one but was in town so we went down to the Marina for BBQ fish dinner. Sad to see us back to that again. Why the town of Port dose not fight harder to protect this industry that generates so much money for them I will never know.

Correct me if I am wrong . It seems to me that Chinook where closed and they had a Coho derby back in 1996 i think it was. I did not enter that one but was in town so we went down to the Marina for BBQ fish dinner. Sad to see us back to that again. Why the town of Port dose not fight harder to protect this industry that generates so much money for them I will never know.

According to the article I posted, it was a coho derby in 2000.

There is serious mismanagement happening over there. To be back to the same closures 13 years later means the lesson has not been learned.

Big question...are they closing Barkley sound to spring retention?
Searun do you have any info to pass on?

It looks like as of Aug.1st you will be able to retain 2 springs under- no overs and it will be non retention of springs in Alberni cannel.... there looks like some good news regarding coho retention but it is going thru the process of being approved.....

It looks like as of Aug.1st you will be able to retain 2 springs under- no overs and it will be non retention of springs in Alberni cannel.... there looks like some good news regarding coho retention but it is going thru the process of being approved.....

Trying to look this info up. DFO's site is not working very well right now

Damn, that's to bad it had to come to that. Hope we don't get to many gnarly days offshore.

Damn, that's to bad it had to come to that. Hope we don't get to many gnarly days offshore.

Its for one season and you will still get a crack at those good springs in June and July.... the off -shore usually starts to dry up for spring around mid Aug... :(

Its for one season and you will still get a crack at those good springs in June and July.... the off -shore usually starts to dry up for spring around mid Aug... :(

My season won't be starting until August 1st unfortunately so I will be putting some offshore miles on the tinny! I hope DFO keeps things in and around the river enforced this year.

Lots going on with the Local round table and we will see what happens.... Lots of good folks working hard for all of us there.....

Press Release

The Port Alberni Salmon Festival Society met tonight to decide the fate of the 2013 Festival.

Yes Virginia, there will be a 42nd Annual Port Alberni Salmon Festival!

Membership has decided on a Coho only derby this Labour Day Weekend, because of DFO regulations and the fact that the hatcheries will need all 16,000 Chinook predicted to return this year. (speak to Bob Cole or Paul Dore’ for those details).

We felt as a group taking a year off would impact the Valley as with the service groups unable to generate a large part of their funds at Salmon Festival the “trickle down” to local organizations who rely on monies from groups such as Kiwanis, Rotary and Lions would be devastating.

We are truly grateful to those local businesses who support the Festival with “hidden weight” prizes and we will maintain the $30.00 entry fee but will be looking to find those that may be able to take over the payout of our top prizes so the Society can stay alive in the future. With rising costs of traffic control , security etc, when all the bills are paid we have nothing left over.

We as a group, look forward to number
42 this Labour Day Weekend.

Thank you

Dan Washington
Society President

If it's for conservation,I don't mind leaving the springs alone in the inlet this year.I'll still fish the derby,had a blast in the last coho derby.I just hope that the other sectors will have to leave them alone too otherwise It'll be all for not.

The link below is just a short little read on last years sockeye and chinook in the Alberni Canal from last years forum posts.
When the Fn's were netting sockeye during their beach seines last year in Aug most likely they would have been harvesting some early chinook as well.

In 2011 SSS not meet their escapement target for chinook.
Last year (2012)total chinook harvest by all sectors was to be limited to approx. 10 000 fish. During the FN commercial opening they harvested OVER 11 000 fish when they were limited to 2000 approx. Again escapement was not met.

With closures on sport fisher I am hoping that the river will be patroled to let these fish get to their spawning grounds.
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...alberni/page26&highlight=alberni+sockeye+2012

thanks to RR for sending this link

Back