Port Alberni Hazard

Halilogger

For anybody launching or using the fresh water Marina, traveling down river when you get to the marker and have to turn to port about 20 degrees, just past the mill. Right around that area there is a submerged HAZARD.
I went out on a low tide and coming back it was a high tide, I always slow down in the river, but still remain on plain. I nor my friend didn't see anything, when I hit something not real hard but a deffinate thud I cut the motor, but it was to late for my prop. Both of us said W.T.H...... looked behind the boat nothing, lifted the motor, a big sharp bend in 1 blade, and a 3 by 1 inch chunk missing out of another blade. I had to run the rest of the way on my kicker.
I believe it is a dead head log, that on a high tide has 1 end on bottom and the other end is 18" below the surface.

Which side of channel when you are heading out of (down) the river and into the canal?

I don't know if they moved the channel marker back this week yet or not, but last weekend one of the channel markers had been dragged out of position and was up against the mill side of the channel and downstream from it's orriginal location.

Channel markers are not moved, both are out of position. Went down today on low tide and did not hit anything thankfully. There is a log in the river which is marked, just down from the mill and now over in the shallow water away from the main channel.

Theres a brolen off piling at the mouth that I almost hit last season. Just go slow, so many people go way to fast in the river.

Going down river when u make the turn at the first dolphin. I always get nervous running in the rivers at high tide, North arm of the Fraser same deal, run it at a low and u see lots of dead heads poking up, run it at a high, u don't see half of them.
Prop damage is $95 plus taxes, I'm happy it didn't damage the skeg, the motor didn't even kick up, I think it just missed the leg, my prop not so lucky. I wonder what a stainless would have looked like, and if there might have been other casualties ?

Theres a brolen off piling at the mouth that I almost hit last season. Just go slow, so many people go way to fast in the river.

Yep, gota be careful not to cut the corner there or you will hit it for sure. I have seen a few guys on mid tide try to take a short cut across the mud flats and find out the hard way how much water isn't there and why you need to "red right returning.";)

Back