pod construction

I have a quote for pod construction that seems quite reasonable. The fabricator says he will use 3/8 aluminum against the transom, and 3/16 for the rest. The dealer I'm buying the motors from, twin 115 4 stroke Mercs, says that's not good enough. I need to use 1/2 plate at the transom and 1/4 everywhere else or the welds will crack. Anyone with a pod , or has heard of problems with cracked welds please give your opinion. Thanks

I have a quote for pod construction that seems quite reasonable. The fabricator says he will use 3/8 aluminum against the transom, and 3/16 for the rest. The dealer I'm buying the motors from, twin 115 4 stroke Mercs, says that's not good enough. I need to use 1/2 plate at the transom and 1/4 everywhere else or the welds will crack. Anyone with a pod , or has heard of problems with cracked welds please give your opinion. Thanks
I would check with some other aluminum boat fabricators and see what they would use for the weight of those motors

As a welder / fabricator I would have to side with your dealer on this. I think 3/16" is too thin but 1/2" at the transom may be overkill depending on design.

.240 minimum for the tub or it will buckle

(imo) I would rather see that 3/16" be 1/4"... prob wouldn't hurt to go 1/2" against the transom. the extra weight should be minimal. best advice is to see what other guys are using (and how they are holding up) as stated or mentioned earlier... I run inboards and pretty much always have so can't be of too much help. but i've done alot of fabrication and never seen something built too strong. usually engineers trying to cut corners to save a few bucks and end up costing more in the long run....
fishtank makes a good point on the first reply, post 2...
I believe there are different grades of aluminum also with some being quite a bit stronger than others. make sure the grade of aluminum is structurally sound.

1/4 for transom and sides and top. 1/2" for the new transom on the back of the pod. Use 5052 aluminum also

Back