Plugs

The Jack Smith plugs had been around for a while. I have had mine a couple of years.

Plugs are a "some days hot some days not" kinda lure.

100% agreed on the advice on this thread.

If you're going to run plugs, stack a plug 20' up on the same side. Plugs you're generally trolling a bit faster and there have to be quality fish around...otherwise they sit there and do a whole lot of zero. But when they get one, it's always a quality fish.

I have tried plugs a couple of times and had some success on the West Coast. What I always was told is it's better to use plugs as you get into August. Do many guys fish them in late June early July over there?

I use plugs in cowichan lake alot ,if I am fishing very tight to shore or trying to fish a point I will run a very short line from my downrigger or planner boards.like 20 feet or so if I am out in deeper water I will run them 100 feet and I have had good luck both ways,because some times the fish are in 10 or less water and tight to shore so a very long line will miss the spot

It's a 5" Custom Tubby Jack Smith UVBII. Playgrounds brought in both 6" Classic Jack Smith UVBII and the 5" Tubby. The Jack Smith hoochie has been really hot as well so guys have been running a JS hoochie on one side and the JS 5" Tubby on the other. Been having great luck with that combo so far. Hopefully they get more before my holiday!

There it is... this is a 6" Tubby.

Had some pics on my phone

Last edited:
Did you put aftermarket eyes on that?

Yes, definitely sets it off...from some of the lures I Customize to my wishes. however when the Chinooks are in, they don't seem to care.

I have a Tomic 500 with more than 30 Tyees on it....and too many 20+ to count. The paint is 50% gone and it'll probably outfish most of what's in the tackle trunk. It has no paint in the eyes.

fishing_magician - that is the BOMB; nice job on the knot placement, won't get that action with a pulled pin!!

fishing_magician - that is the BOMB; nice job on the knot placement, won't get that action with a pulled pin!!

Yup.

These didn't have the ring on them when I got them...I have since added rings on them.

I have had these 3 years now...just figured this out. I think of the set I have only fished this one plug pattern a few hours. I believe it has one 28 pounder on it...and the 602 fished beside it has outfished it by far

Back