Piston broke

No truer words have ever been said. The next advise goes along with that. Tighten the new bolts up to within a quarter turn of snapping, never more and sometimes even less.

Oly

Best approach I have used for a stuck bolt is heat, cool, penetrating oil, wait a day, rinse and repeat. Try to firmly, but cautiously remove the fastener before you start the next heating. The heating/cooling cycle induces little fissures in which the penetrating fluid can travel by capillary action. Can't say it has worked every time, but most times it is successful.

Something got sucked into #4 cylinder and rattled around in there for a while.

Head has taken a beating too. There are pieces of whatever it was still in there. Also a few particles in the other cylinders. I don't think I'll rebuild this one, if I miss just one little piece of foreign material the whole thing will happen again. She's dead, Jim.

If it has't been bored before..rebuild it. All 30 over, new pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets...good as new. Find a good used head. The most important part when considering a rebuild is the crank. If it gets scoured then the cost of the rebuild is to high. I've had similar with my Yami and rebuilt it and it was just fine. Likely a ring got stuck in a port and snapped off...once a chunk is in between the piston and the cylinder it starts to tear the piston apart.
When I do a rebuild I send the parts for machining over to Mongoose in Vancouver, have a local shop like SG assemble the rotating assembly...crank, rods, pistons and heads. Then I take it home and dress the block with all the bolt on stuff myself to save on labour.

Like you say the best deals have trailers and hulls. First one I did was a trailer with a hull that did a Vancouver Edmonton trip. I made about $3500 by the time I got the hull to the dump. But I worked my butt off before I abandoned the project. Glasse in a couple stringers.

Interesting that a standalone used engine costs more than a hull-trailer-motor combo of similar age. I guess it's the potential hassle of dealing with unwanted hull. I'm seeing a few possible deals, some driving and compression testing coming up this weekend before I decide.

Back