Pinniped Developments

Pinnipeds have an impact on fish stocks however they are far down the list of concerns to salmon survival all of the other non natural impacts weigh far heavier on salmon stocks then natural predators. I would agree that more monitoring and development of ways to cull pinnipeds where they have become habituated to stocks of concern would be great and removing man made barriers that make salmon more vulnerable to predators. The problem is it doesn't address the root causes of decline and only distracts the limited effort from governments to help salmon into something that is misguided at best. Hake are the number one food source for sea lions, why are hake doing so well when salmon aren't should be the question, not remove predators because at some point that includes us and that still wont help rebuild stocks.
Well said, the decline on fish stocks is multifaceted and to point all fingers at pinnipeds is to ignore many other factors.

Most folks understand that... I find that some of you folks redirect it else where and under state there impacts.. in the end they are are impact & a impact which we can do something about.

Last edited:
Most folks understand that... I find that some of you folks redirect it else where and under state there impacts.. in the end they are are impact & a impact which we can do something about.
Do you know if anyone has been in contact with the Alberni /Bamfield FN to see if they are interested in helping out in Barclay sound?

Not sure at this time.. a couple weeks ago when dumping my boat in there was 4 or 5 seals in the arera of the boat ramp... lot more then i have seen in the pass

I attended a presentation by Brian Riddell about the Marine Survival Project. Which I think had components of Dr. Carl Walters research as well. It appears pretty clear that pinnipeds are way beyond their natural predation levels.

Is some sort of management a silver bullet. No. Not sure why others are insinuating that is what this is. However, seems pretty clear that some targeted management could be very beneficial. Additionally, of all the potential tools in the tool chest, this one is a lot easier to execute compared to, for example, repairing all of the damage we have done to the river ecosystems.

Justin will find some way to align with ENGO's. Pee Wee Herman has no spine, and given his pension for stealing $$ donated to the Truckers or anyone who doesn't agree with his world view it won't be long before he jails the Conservatives who promoted this Bill. Seems that is his leaning these days. Sick and tired of the whole line of BS from them. I better not say I support the Bill, may end up doing some jail time.
Searun, you are obviously engaged and active in regards to current fisheries issues that being said resorting to name calling does not help put your position forward, rather it diminishes it.

Last edited:
The vote was being held today.
Of those actually present in the house it appeared to be a dead heat.
When they sat idle for the electronic vote to be tallied it went on too long.

Then the announcement that there was technical difficulties with the electronic vote system.
Voting therefore stood down until the fall...

UnReal.
Nog

The vote was being held today.
Of those actually present in the house it appeared to be a dead heat.
When they sat idle for the electronic vote to be tallied it went on too long.

Then the announcement that there was technical difficulties with the electronic vote system.
Voting therefore stood down until the fall...

UnReal.
Nog
Crooks

Something is very VERY Amiss here.
As I noted, the Speaker stated that the vote was now removed until the next sitting in October.
Then, quietly, the government website suddenly announces the Bill as being defeated:

I personally watched the vote via parlvu. I watched as four Liberals stood in support.
How is it possible that the vote now reflects but TWO Liberals in support?

Something very much STINKS here...

Nog

Yep. I personally watched it.
The Speaker DID defer the vote until October.
Then...

And, anyone can check the recorded version of the vote in attendance on Parlvu.
It does NOT mesh with what is being cited.

Something STINKS here...

Nog

Back