Penn Battle 2 vs Spinfisher

Battle 2 vs Spinfisher

• Total voters
What's the most compact model of the spinfisher or is there a better alternative?

The 2500 is pretty tiny - only holds around 140 yards of 10lb mono...unless you're asking about a compact big reel? The 4500 is a small-big reel, if you know what I mean, I think it holds more than twice the line of the 2500 but it's still a fairly compact reel.

Good luck getting one now, though...supply chain is getting pretty weird these days. It's playing hell with ammo manufacturers which is more my area of expertise, but I hear that fishing gear is also all getting harder to come by. I don't think Harbour Chandler is having much luck getting stock out of some manufacturers and my suspicion is that it's the same problem ammo manufacturers are having: even the stuff built here, needs raw materials from overseas, and that's all garbled at the moment.

So anyway I'd like a new SF6 myself but am too frugal and living off my old diawas...but even if I felt flush I'm not sure of the supply. Happy to be wrong; there may be stock of higher end eggbeaters as a lot of guys seem allergic to them; maybe this is a product that's been unaffected. But I'm looking at stock of rods and reels in a few places starting to look a little thin, and I suspect that's why.

The 2500 is pretty tiny - only holds around 140 yards of 10lb mono...unless you're asking about a compact big reel? The 4500 is a small-big reel, if you know what I mean, I think it holds more than twice the line of the 2500 but it's still a fairly compact reel.

Good luck getting one now, though...supply chain is getting pretty weird these days. It's playing hell with ammo manufacturers which is more my area of expertise, but I hear that fishing gear is also all getting harder to come by. I don't think Harbour Chandler is having much luck getting stock out of some manufacturers and my suspicion is that it's the same problem ammo manufacturers are having: even the stuff built here, needs raw materials from overseas, and that's all garbled at the moment.

So anyway I'd like a new SF6 myself but am too frugal and living off my old diawas...but even if I felt flush I'm not sure of the supply. Happy to be wrong; there may be stock of higher end eggbeaters as a lot of guys seem allergic to them; maybe this is a product that's been unaffected. But I'm looking at stock of rods and reels in a few places starting to look a little thin, and I suspect that's why.
I was one of those guys. But on our last trip up the coast I brought along my old Osoyoos carp rod. A $30 (including tackle) Shakespeare. I was casting around docks and jigging up bait with the sabiki on it. Even had a few kids playing with it and they understood how to dump line no problem. I underestimated them. So after that I've now realised I would like to get something small but big enough to yank up a 20lb ling or feisty coho or something.

I was wrong.

You were right.

Oh, well, I don't claim to have been right about spinning reels or anything, those are just the reels I grew up with. I believe my dad read Charlie White's "Drift Fishing" and decided the spinning reels and light tackle described within were his favourites and I just grew up thinking they were normal. I do use other stuff now a lot of the time.

Although I will say that I was out in rough conditions at Thrasher earlier this week and when it was a bit hectic, I couldn't run anything as well as an old Diawa spinner I had on a backup rod. I ended up using the backup rod just because the reel on it was hardwired into my hands. I couldn't believe how smoothly I could run it, just from a lifetime of using them, even though for two years now I've mostly been using single action reels.

And that's why I too want a Spinfisher.

I've used Penn Battles, Penn Spinfishers, and Diawa BG's and caught a boat load of San Diego tuna and yellowtail with them all. Do yourself a favor and google "Diawa BG reviews". I think you will find the Diawa BG comes out on top in almost every head to head comparison with Penn Battle 2 and is pretty much on par with the Spinfisher.

This Diawa BG 5000 is a bad butt saltwater reel for sure....

https://www.amazon.ca/Daiwa-BG-Spinning-Reel-Master/dp/B01JH8FHFI?th=1&psc=1

I couldn't resist and ordered the Spinfisher from amazon. I got the 6500 which I would like to use for jigging bottom fish and tuna fishing. Anybody have rod recommendation to complete the combo? I was going to go with a trevala but maybe there are some better options?

I think Pacific Angler carries some Penn's...might be worth giving them a shout.

Sea-run I bet would order in anything for you if you're willing to wait....they brought in two Okuma tuna rods for me at a very comparable price to online stores shipped from the US

I couldn't resist and ordered the Spinfisher from amazon. I got the 6500 which I would like to use for jigging bottom fish and tuna fishing. Anybody have rod recommendation to complete the combo? I was going to go with a trevala but maybe there are some better options?
That new spinnfisher deserves to be matched with a new Carnage 2 in the length, weight and style you intend to use it as. Many new styles about to be released, not sure of availability during the world madness.

HM

Back