Peninsula Boat Ramp

I think the only way you’ll see any additional boat launches is if the local FN Band decides to go into that business. Getting a permit from the government for anyone else would take many years and buckets of cash for environmental studies. Maybe some kind of partnership will be worked out, but it would be a good cash maker for a local band.
There's a lot more money in condos and other development than a boat ramp with parking

There's a lot more money in condos and other development than a boat ramp with parking
Agreed. But a lot more money in luxury vacation homes/condos with a boat ramp if you want to, or can go full out development. Think about it? What we’ll heeled person wouldn’t like a luxury Vacation condo with a marina in it given a choice! Unlikely to see any Marinas get approved on other than First Nation land and not all First Nations On the Peninsula want,or could handle too much development, but a boat ramp might work.

Agreed. But a lot more money in luxury vacation homes/condos with a boat ramp if you want to, or can go full out development. Think about it? What we’ll heeled person wouldn’t like a luxury Vacation condo with a marina in it given a choice! Unlikely to see any Marinas get approved on other than First Nation land and not all First Nations On the Peninsula want,or could handle too much development, but a boat ramp might work.
I think it's time to take the environmentalist approach here.
I do a lot of boating in the safe and calm waters of Saanich Inlet, as do many others, based on the traffic I see some days.
The only option to get there is to launch at Tulista and drive the boat around, an approximately 30 minute boat ride.
Think of the fuel spent and the carbon emissions, both of which could be mitigated by a launch somewhere, anywhere on the inlet.
Wouldn't our green mayor Lisa Helps be on board with that. As well as the Federal Green party who currently represent us in Ottawa?

Why would Lisa Helps (the mayor of Victoria) care about an issue in central/north Saanich? Hope after Covid that the First nations ramp will open up again.

Why would Lisa Helps (the mayor of Victoria) care about an issue in central/north Saanich? Hope after Covid that the First nations ramp will open up again.
I have heard rumors that the First Nations ramp in Brentwood Bay is going to be permanently closed to the public and/or permanently decommissioned.
Its current state is one of disrepair/neglect.
The last time I used it (pre-pandemic) my elderly father-in-law fell through a broken section between two float segments. I thought at first he had broken his leg, but fortunately it turned out to be less serious than that.
In addition, the approach to the ramp is rather steep, leading to much tire spinning and occasional scariness as boats are pulled in and out.
If it can be repaired to the point of making it safe, then it is certainly a good option.

I do a lot of boating in the safe and calm waters of Saanich Inlet, as do many others, based on the traffic I see some days.
The only option to get there is to launch at Tulista and drive the boat around, an approximately 30 minute boat ride.
Think of the fuel spent and the carbon emissions, both of which could be mitigated by a launch somewhere, anywhere on the inlet.
Wouldn't our green mayor Lisa Helps be on board with that. As well as the Federal Green party who currently represent us in Ottawa?
I have a utopian vision, of bringing the saanich inlet back to its glory days.

Imagine this....
...a high quality boat launch with ample parking, taking the pressure off the Tulista ramp.
...a beautiful summer day with families launching craft of all sorts to enjoy the spectacular beauty of Saanich Inlet (all on flat calm waters and within a short drive of anywhere in a major metropolitan city)
...fish returning to an actual river system (Gold River) supplemented by a vigorously supported hatchery system (I imagine a system of net pens deep down in Finlayson arm that releases a hundred thousand coho to support an urban fishery)
....thriving businesses in Brentwood Bay and Mill Bay that benefit from the increased business arising from the opportunity to take your family fishing, without having to drive for hours (Renfrew or Alberni or beyond)
...fun, productive and fantastic derbies run by organizations such as Sidney Anglers
...maybe a boat rental business for those who aren't fortunate enough to own a boat, I learned to fish this way when renting a boat at Sewel's Marina in Horseshoe Bay

Its all good, and how life used to be in Brentwood Bay 40 years ago.

I have that same common sense attitude as far as wasting fuel in regards to running your boat one hour offshore and and another hour back to get one measly Halibut that cannot be any bigger than a certain size. Instead I just say screw it and the Politics of that whole equation wins for the intended victors. Or plowing through ten coho to finally get a clipped one. It's never about being Green.

Back in the day i would use that ramp a lot for running to Separation point in Aug/Sept and it was in great condition. That was 20 years ago !! They collected $10 and you would think they would take some of that money and put it back into repairing the dock/ramp. Not ! With all the guys using it to prawn/crab,fish it was well used. Chief Don Tom seems to have more important things on his plate these days from watching the news lately. They have a real opportunity to generate some income from the ramp. In the end maybe they just don't want people using it ?

The airport and the coast guard each have great ramps in Pat Bay with lots of parking. Now just need to get them to do the right thing and open it up

Don’t know why the tsartlip band don’t approach the feds saying they need money to rebuild the ramp and docks to create economic growth for the band. Trudeau is giving money away right now like a November rain storm

Don’t know why the tsartlip band don’t approach the feds saying they need money to rebuild the ramp and docks to create economic growth for the band. Trudeau is giving money away right now like a November rain storm
How can we help make this happen?

Just read this post in Adam Olsen's blog. Says he 'grew up fishing in the Saanich Inlet'...maybe he would champion this boat ramp cause with the feds....

The Tsartlip Band has been putting a lot of new infrastructure in on their land. New sidewalks, paved roads, a gas bar, partnerships in housing developments and work is going on at the school now too. Don't think the ramp is big on the list for the band and from what I have seen no one pays the ramp fee most of the time anyway.

Looking at the calm waters down the Saanich Inlet and around to Satellite Channel find it frustrating nowhere to launch safely.

The Federal government promised a Boat Launch when they built the Institute of Ocean Sciences in the 70's. If anyone can find the document that says that please let me know. Ask around, I'm sure someone's parents have a stack of old papers lying around that has it.

Looking at the calm waters down the Saanich Inlet and around to Satellite Channel find it frustrating nowhere to launch safely.

The Federal government promised a Boat Launch when they built the Institute of Ocean Sciences in the 70's. If anyone can find the document that says that please let me know. Ask around, I'm sure someone's parents have a stack of old papers lying around that has it.

They have ample space for it, just seems like no one in the feds cares enough to do it. I honestly think there's a better chance North saanich undertakes a ramp somewhere to serve their tax base, but it wouldn't be at ocean sciences.

Here's where the ramp and parking could go

Attachments

• 20210124_130012.jpg
    20210124_130012.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 38
They have ample space for it, just seems like no one in the feds cares enough to do it. I honestly think there's a better chance North saanich undertakes a ramp somewhere to serve their tax base, but it wouldn't be at ocean sciences.

Here's where the ramp and parking could go
I think there is a underground bunker on that piece of land.

Ryan, that is one of three locations our group put froward to North Saanich.

Number 1) The float plane base in Pat Bay. The most simple most affordable solution. Infrastructure is already in place, just needs updating and and some rearranging. It has been used in the past as a boat ramp but that privilege was lost in the late 70's. Reason being float planes and boats don't mix. Not sure about that, Victoria, Vancouver harbours, Tofino harbour with the added fog factor or Campbell River. Tyee Club boats tied up along side the float plane base. Unless someone can show a legal reason not to put a boat ramp there please let us know.

Number 2) That is the location Ryan has pointed out beside IOS. Government already owns the land so just the political will to do it plus infrastructure costs.
Eroyd, the mound is just all the fill excavated when they built IOS. The bunker you may be referring to was seismographic equipment originally installed. That equipment has all been updated and is no longer an issue so no need to protect it.

Number 3) There was a 25 acre property for sale along Landsend Rd close to Swartz Bay. It has over a 1000 ft of beach access. Runs from the ocean all the way to Landsend Road. Pretty much an all weather location. Could easily accommodate a boat ramp. Its potential is more than just a Boat Launch. Parkland, camping, kayaks, the potential is huge for the greater area. It is the last piece of land like it on the Saanich Peninsula , probably the whole lower Island. It could be the Gateway to the Gulf Islands National park.
Unfortunately price is a factor and the Politicians can't see more than 3-4 years down the road. It could be like Stanley Park in our area if we purchase it now. In 25 years we would be kicking our selves for not doing it now
Seems like the politicians are dropping $15 mil every week on old hotels in Victoria. We the tax payers work our asses off to pay that but get SFA in return.

Bottom line, if we sit back and don't push this now, in the next few years we won't have any place to launch out here.

Ryan, that is one of three locations our group put froward to North Saanich.

Number 1) The float plane base in Pat Bay. The most simple most affordable solution. Infrastructure is already in place, just needs updating and and some rearranging. It has been used in the past as a boat ramp but that privilege was lost in the late 70's. Reason being float planes and boats don't mix. Not sure about that, Victoria, Vancouver harbours, Tofino harbour with the added fog factor or Campbell River. Tyee Club boats tied up along side the float plane base. Unless someone can show a legal reason not to put a boat ramp there please let us know.

Number 2) That is the location Ryan has pointed out beside IOS. Government already owns the land so just the political will to do it plus infrastructure costs.
Eroyd, the mound is just all the fill excavated when they built IOS. The bunker you may be referring to was seismographic equipment originally installed. That equipment has all been updated and is no longer an issue so no need to protect it.

Number 3) There was a 25 acre property for sale along Landsend Rd close to Swartz Bay. It has over a 1000 ft of beach access. Runs from the ocean all the way to Landsend Road. Pretty much an all weather location. Could easily accommodate a boat ramp. Its potential is more than just a Boat Launch. Parkland, camping, kayaks, the potential is huge for the greater area. It is the last piece of land like it on the Saanich Peninsula , probably the whole lower Island. It could be the Gateway to the Gulf Islands National park.
Unfortunately price is a factor and the Politicians can't see more than 3-4 years down the road. It could be like Stanley Park in our area if we purchase it now. In 25 years we would be kicking our selves for not doing it now
Seems like the politicians are dropping $15 mil every week on old hotels in Victoria. We the tax payers work our asses off to pay that but get SFA in return.

Bottom line, if we sit back and don't push this now, in the next few years we won't have any place to launch out here.
Thanks for your effort!

Well you know for a fact you won’t get any Federal support as long as Elizabeth May represents us. Just read the latest newsletter where she applauds the creation of the Pender Island Whale Sanctuary.

Back