Paying tax on a private sale boat in BC

This is what I've done.
Buy boat and trailer home.
Insure trailer with icbc
Go to gov and register boat
Go fishing
Call lighthouse insurance, send them original receipt 30K plus lots of pictures of everything
Go fishing

Wait two years..... Provincial gov sends letter asking for bill of sale and your money.
My problem was boat shrink wrapped in Tahsis with bill of sale on board.
Waited three letters
Got a forth nasty letter. WE HAVE ASSESSED YOUR BOAT VALUE TO BE ####. please pay. So i did, right away.

If the insurance company can call the provincial gov and ask them to release personal information, then someone is in trouble. The freedom of information doesn't apply here.

Keep all your paperwork...bill of sale, pst receipt, etc. I paid mine up front when I first insured boat, trailer, got trailer plates. Two years later got a bill, had to send in copies to prove payment already made. Typical government operation!

Took about a year before they started after me. Luckily I had proof of payment ....

Last 2 boats recieved my tax notice within the year. Oddly though never recieved any kind of tax notice on a boat we bought 6 years ago?

So I just did this a couple weeks ago. There is a new process for registering a boat and it works great.

Transport Canada has a new Online boat registration site here: https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/pubweb/default.aspx?lang=en-CA

You can either receive a new registration, update info on your existing, or transfer a registration for a boat you purchase that has a number. You need to provide a scanned copy of the Bill of Sale along with a Photo of the boat, the address of the prior owner and your contact coordinates. It takes about 5 minutes to complete the forms. Once the forms are completed, the email you a Temporary Registration in about 5 minutes that you are required to print out and keep on your boat. In my case, the permanent registration was emailed 2 days later.

I assume that the tax man will send out a bill at some time in the future as they now have all the bill of sale info.

If the insurance company can call the provincial gov and ask them to release personal information, then someone is in trouble. The freedom of information doesn't apply here.
You mean those same insurance companies that can deny a pay out when they discover a pre existing condition in a clients confidential medical file? I don't trust them, they must have a means of getting info. Heck what if they just ask you for your tax receipt prior to paying out?

Last edited:
It took them a year to catch up to be. I tried to do it like the op but gave up.

Seeing as Christy and the Libs are in pre-election giveaway mode, now might be the time to push for a reduction in the used vehicle transfer tax back to what it was before the HST fiasco (7%) or maybe even eliminate it all together. I think BC might be the only province in the country that charges this tax.

The libs have been in giveaway mode for years! Give away the cheap ferry system, give away the publicly owned rail system, give away the rivers for privately generated power we don't need which is then purchased for three times more than what Hydro can sell it for!

<Rant over>

(Not sure if I should be resurrecting an old thread or starting a new one.)

Looks like the govt is now (?) asking us to be proactive and file a Casual Remittance form, rather than just wait for the tax collector to catch up with us. Googling "pay PST boat bc" leads to a document that says

"If you do not have a PST number, you must self-assess the PST due by using a Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405) on or before the last day of the month following the month in which you obtained the boat."

:(

When I recently bought a used boat from the States to bring it to BC, CBSA charged me the PST at the border which was a hefty bill. Apparently, this has recently been added to the import proces.

I’ve registered the boat already so will see if they ever send me a letter. Government’s left hand usually doesn’t talk to the right one. We’ll see....

I
It takes 2 years and It will catch up to you.
I got lucky and ignored them. They gave up and sent me an assessed value. This was good....
I had the same good fortune to be taxed on their assessed value. If you don't respond to their first two letters then you get the assessment.

Seeing as Christy and the Libs are in pre-election giveaway mode, now might be the time to push for a reduction in the used vehicle transfer tax back to what it was before the HST fiasco (7%) or maybe even eliminate it all together. I think BC might be the only province in the country that charges this tax.

Yea I remember that. It was about 7/8 years ago with my last boat purchase. I was lucky as the laws were just changing and I got in under the wire and paid the lower rate. As I recall I paid it at an office tower somewhere near the old Bay building in Victoria.

Remember they were going to reverse the HST and get rid of it but still kept the extra taxes for used cars and boats. The Prov. Liberals just lied to us about it, but never gave up the income. Probably some lobbying from the used vehicle sales industry and governments never like to give up new tax streams once they get the hooks in.

Funny…this just happened to me from a boat purchased back in the summer of 2019. I only had the boat ten months before we sold it, my wife didn’t like it as it was too big for her to comfortably handle plus it had twin 200’s on it and confused her lol. In June of 2021 we sold our house in Victoria and moved to Arizona full-time. I forwarded all my mail to a buddies house and he just received a letter addressed to me to pay the tax on that boat. I think I’ll wait it out

Last edited:
You mean those same insurance companies that can deny a pay out when they discover a pre existing condition in a clients confidential medical file? I don't trust them, they must have a means of getting info. Heck what if they just ask you for your tax receipt prior to paying out?

Ziggy, don't confuse insurance companies that insure health risks and provide policies such as life insurance, disability income protection, and critical illness insurance-people know them as life insurance companies with Property Casualty(P/C) insurance companies

Here is some basic information that may help explain things.

P/C companies insure your house, car , boat, etc.

When a person enters into a contract to buy insurance they provide specific information to the insurer to assess the risk they are insuring. For example, the known value of your house is calculated, how far it is from a hydrant, a fire department, etc. They may ask for a boat survey every 5 years.

On the Life insurance company side of things if you buy a policy personally (life, accident, or critical illness) you will be required to provide proof of health, and depending on the answers to the application questions, your age, the amount of insurance, you may have to have a nurse come and ask the same questions again, see an insurance company approved doctor for a full medical, or they may just accept the questions on your application , and write your doctor.

As we all know from insuring our boats prices and policy wording varies depending on the type pf policy and the company

Every one of these applications has a disclosure form that an applicant signs and one of the things that and applicant agrees to is to share and give access to the insurance company to a centralized organization that keeps track of insurance applicants . This is the Medical information Bureau or MIB

Pre-existing condition clauses are a whole different thing.

Let me give you an example

A company, provides group insurance to it's employees. Instead of having everyone do an insurance medical, when people enroll they are given insurance coverage up to a certain limit on application. For higher amounts above a set limit employees have to provide a completed medical report. The insurer in these cases will either approve the additional coverage or not.

For example a small company's benefits plan might be offer disability insurance up to $5,000 /month but medical proof is required for application over $2,000/month.

This is different than if you are buying insurance privately when they will individually underwrite people. and add a rating or an extra charge if for example a person is the perfect weight for someone 6'8" but they are 5' 6" Have a underlying illness etc.

Pre-existing condition clauses are how group insurers can underwrite everybody in a company . If a person makes a disability claim for example because they already had a medical condition that occurred in a time period before the person joined the plan (say 244 months) then if they made a claim for the same illness in the first 24 months after they applied they claim might be declined (the policy terms explain this)

When a person applies to make a claim critical illness , disability, the applicant as part of the claims submission process signs a release allowing the insurance company to contact the claimants doctor(s) obtain all medical records etc.

There is also a claims appeal process where if a claim is denied or stopped at some point a claimant has the right to appeal that decision.

It is very unfortunate when denied claims are not appealed. I have seen denied claims reversed on appeal.

Back