Past License - Salmon Catch and Possesion

Reel Time

Trying to wrap my head around the current closures and past few years.

I grew up along the fraser river in the 90's, I remember when they banned commercial boats from fishing the region as salmon populations were dire.
Back then the catch was 4 per day and 8 possesion. You could fish all day and catch 1 fish if you were lucky.

Anyone recall the years when catch limits were last changed? And what they may have been in the 80's, 70's.

i made this thread because there are much more fish in the area in the spring, and now we see closures. Yes many may be hatchery from the states...

Well I hear ya. Campbell River is closed for Chinook retention again this year until July 15, even though the area has a healthy Chinook population, a hatchery, and at least 3 chinook pens raising the beasts in the immediate area. To top that off the Campbell River itself has opened for retention of Chinook the last 2 falls. That’s the first time in my 30 years of fishing there. So why again are we closed ? If population of chinook is strong enough to open the river for retention but we can’t even keep a clipped Chinook in the ocean where they’re a little harder to come by?

Back