Painting Aluminum

Charter Tofino

I was thinking of painting my 14 ft welded aluminum but have no idea what this entails. Is there any way to paint aluminum with some amount of durability other than powder coat?

To do it right there are a number of steps with some chemicals. Not too hard I will write something up on it tomorrow.

PM Albernifisher. He paints all the Lifetimer boats. He's on it.

Personally I would leave it raw for the natural ability of the aluminum to protect itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly google sharkhide aluminum cleaner. The stuff is pretty amazing and you will get a more unified look on your boat. And a heck of alot cheaper than painting. I used the protectant on my aluminum and its still shining like new!

I was wanting to do the same to my old 14ft, once I looked into the amount of work I wire wheeled the entire boat to get of the old paint.

Paint won't stick to aluminum very well at all unless you put on aluminum oxide primer first........or zinc -chromate primer..

Both are toxic though.....you can't be too careful...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really not that hard. Aluminum clean it, prep, wash with alodine wipes, epoxy, couple coats of single stage paint and your good to go.

It's really not THAT hard.

Step 1 - pay AlberniFisher whatever he wants
Step 2 - have a beer
Step 3 - enjoy your newly painted boat

I agree Alberifisher is probably the most knowledgable and I agree with what everyone has said. The only thing I would add is make sure your work space is clean and free of dust. I repainted mine here are some pics of before and after

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 278
nice looking boat. before and after....

PM Albernifisher. He paints all the Lifetimer boats. He's on it.

Personally I would leave it raw for the natural ability of the aluminum to protect itself.

PM Sculpin

He's an ace metal worker plus he likes to make friends ;)

Step 1
Media blast to a good profile leaving good surface to take a coating
Step 2 within 4 hours of blasting clean the entire surface with alumaprep
Step 3 coat the.entire surface with Alodine make sure you follow the instructions
Step 4 drink beer and allow to dry
Step 5 coat with 2-3 coats of awlgrip 545 epoxy primer or equivalent
Step 6 coat epoxy primer with 2-3 coats of your favorite color linear polyurethane paint.

After complete take note that it was way too much work for a tough aluminum fishing boat. Go buy yourself a jet pump for that boat instead of painting and go punish some fish.

Cheers

Back