Paint problem

spring fever

I have a welded aluminum pod across the back of my boat. It was powder coated white 8 years ago and non-skid 3 m stips were applied at 3"intervals. To board the boat there is a ladder suspended from the pod and of course you have to tread on the pod to get in the boat' The non skid has lifted because the powder coating has pulled off in a 1' x 11/2' patch. I have cleaned it up to bare aluminium and I have some 3m non-skid in a sheet. Should I apply this directly to the bare aluminium or is there a primer and paint I can use with good adhesion so I could put the non -skid over top. The rest of the paint is sound and so is the pod.I will still need to trim it up with paint even if I don't put it under the non-skid. So what's the best paint for the job or is this a yearly problem now?

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

I redid my pod about 10 years ago. Un-bolted the engine and the pod and took it into Victoria Powdercoating. They media blasted it and re-did the powdercoat. I have a few chips again now where the outboard bracket sits on the pod. In a few years I'll take it off again and bring it back to new. Wasn't that costly. Had all the engine controls unhooked ahead of time and took the boat down to the dealer..they lifted the engine off and racked it until I needed it. The pod unbolts easy enough. The hardest part was dealing with the old Sika Flex.

Back