P.A. salmon fest,coho tactics

albernifisher

Well seeing that The salmon fest is only a few weeks away I'm going to ask for your help. I never target coho,only catch them as a bycatch. What are your leader lengths,speed,lures...? Who is all going? were staying at seabeam in the bunkhouse

after fishing the sound this weekend, seems the coho were hitting anything and anywhere, at any speed! it was awesome... however, we used leaders about 48", speed about 2.2-3.0 this weekend.

we tried a newer hootchie, kind of a white/purple haze and did very well on it.

I concur on the white- ish hotchie patterns but far shorter leaders for us did the trick.

Some good news from China creek, Cohos are coming into the cleaning table, Wild and hatchery are keepable in this part of the inlet....Springs are a bit more plentiful but enjoy the fight then let them go.Its still closed from Lonetree into port.27 and 33 feet seem to be the early depths with 55-65 later on. Remember the kids on the long weekend as there will be a kids zone at Clutesi.

Lance Dobosz
Remax

Don't see a thread focused on the fishing in the Canal now that the Sockeye appear to be finished, but this one about coho and the PA Derby will do.
Got back to camp (Macktush) after missing a few days and wasn't prepared for what happened. Wasn't interested in running to the outside so I thought I would just fish a bit close to camp and do a bit of prawning and crabbing.
Once in camp, word was fishing was pretty slow with the odd spring and coho getting caught. Since springs can't be retained, that really makes it slow.
Anyway, not one to sit around when there is water, a boat, and fish to be caught I set the traps and hit the water Saturday morning. It was slow to start, not getting a bite till 0730, nice 16lb spring. Really nice fish and a scrapper, but.. released him. Rewarded for my good deed with a double only minutes later, 12lb spring and 9.5lb coho. Hmm, I'm liking this already. Anyway, fished till 11, caught and released 6 springs, retained 3 coho. Sunday, similar action, all starting a bit late, but ended up with a true triple header, 3 lost, 3 springs released and 3 coho in box. Monday really slow to start and then bang, about 830 double header, lost both, didn't see the one, other was a big spring, damn. Moments later, nice coho and within half hour another. Finished weekend with 8 coho and 300 (or so) prawns and a lot of fun from the springs.
Got to like that.
Oh details, fishing mostly in Bell's Bay, 43 & 47 ft, only 2 lines. Chartruse anchovy holder, hot pink TKO spoon, green & glow TKO spoon.

mylar skirts. mirror flashers, 36" leaders, 25-45' deep, vary speed from 2.8 to 4.5, they seem to hit on the speed changes so vary your speed constantly.

Went out and fished the inlet for a couple hours this morning around MacTush....within minutes, bang, a nice 15lb spring...released it. Then tried longer for a coho, but only landed one more spring, which was a lot of fun, but sad to see it go. Then we headed out to Pill & caught 2 coho at Pill. The action seemed decent out there (both fish caught on a white hootchie at 50 ft).

15'6 hourston- faded green (no cover) with a 50 newer yamaha. Why do you ask? Were you out then?

We tried last night (from about 6-8:15pm) in the inlet from Dunsmuir to Sproat Narrows - no bites & didn't see anyone with a fish on (but today was a different story - I'll put that update in the Barkley Sound thread).

Awesome job stress medicine and pwport, pwport, what type of boat do you have?

Looking for a seat for the derby. In Port on biz but have time.
Got all my own gear and, just finished in Ukee as a guide.
Just up the street from you Lance.

Know a guy that used really small Apexes that were less than an inch long. They weren't made by Apex...they were from the states someplace.

They were sort of clear orangey amber color......

Worked amazingly well for him. (This was a few years back).

Normal gear like hoochys and spoons I would try going faster........

As High Five said......sometimes it's seems ridiculously fast. Much faster than Chinook troll-speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gear is all tied, chomping at the bit. Leaving Nanaimo at 11am Friday. Will be monitering channel 6 and The boat goes by the handle " wet dreams" good luck to everyone going

Lets get at er....don't pit er pat er////hmmmm....

Fishin Lone tree to closure Sat am. Stay the night anchored out in the Nook...go from there
Lance

Day 1 is in the books.Beautiful,flat calm and stinking hot. Started at 6 am on the wall,non stop action on springs. Coho were allmost non existent for us. We ended our day with 9 springs,3 coho with a hand full of others lost. 17.1 lber was leading the derby so far

Just back at the bunkhouse to recharge our batteries for a bit. 2 springs and 5 coho this morning,still searching for the winner,all our coho have been around 8-10 lbs

Back