Ouch!!!

less and less freedom of speech all the time. I guess it's ok that politicians can lie to us repeatedly, over and over. oops, did I just say that...? time to put my tinfoil hat on....

26766campbellriverstaniford.jpg

So let's get this straight.... no internet postings that fish feedlots are bad....
Do not compare them to other harmful things......

Mainstream had sued Staniford regarding his anti-salmon farming campaign “Global Alliance Against Industrial Aquaculture.” In it, he compared eating farmed salmon with smoking cigarettes and claimed that “salmon farming kills.”

Or Else

The ruling in favour of Mainstream provides general damages of $25,000 and punitive damages of $50,000. The company had asked for $125,000, but was otherwise pleased by the verdict.

Because the fish feedlots see that as being the internet bully.

“The soul of a company is its employees, and we need to stand up for them and defend them against malicious and defamatory attacks, and against cyberbullying,” said Laurie Jensen, Mainstream’s manager of communications and corporate sustainability. “We are pleased that the court recognizes that especially in the age of the Internet, public comments need to be backed up by facts.”

Well that's great...... I would think they must be proud to stand up against this big bully....

We will wait and see.....
Staniford said he is presently in Ireland and plans to appeal his case to the Supreme Court of Canada

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/provincial/216479471.html

On a side note anyone else think
Mainstream’s manager of communications and corporate sustainability
this is odd to have these two jobs at once. But then, nothing suprises me coming from this Norwegian corporation........

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck with his appeal in the Supreme Court. In a just society it's these fishfarms that should be getting sued. for placing all our fish stocks at risk....

So if you write a fiction book about a fictitious fish farm and you make up a story that is not so complimentary.....is that defamatory or poetic license?

CK, you guys at Mainstream must be really proud of this win in the crusade!

I'm wondering if all of the propaganda that the fish farm industry puts out against Mortin and Suzuki could be seen as slanderous and defamatory. It makes you wonder if there are any bored old lawyers out there that are just pissed right off about this ruling and the actions of the fish farm industry and are considering filing similar suits against people in your industry who really like to be vocal in the media. I've noticed someone who shares your name on twitter who really likes to throw the dirt. I'm no lawyer and certainly going to watch my words and I'm sure many on both sides of the debate are doing the same thing.

I truly think that you have been involved in a wonderful thing here and just great for freedom of speech in Canada. Great job! Great way to win the public opinion poll. Very smart moves.

Back