Otter Management

I'm having a pretty big problem with otters climbing into the back of the boat while it's moored and pooping everywhere in the back of the boat. As everyone who has ever had to deal with otter crap knows, it isn't the most pleasant to deal with.

Cover is not an option, but I've heard mixing up a cocktail in spray bottles that you can spray on the pod to keep them out. Cayenne and water was one suggestion. Has anyone had any experience dealing with this specifically? What works best? We're going as far as to consider putting a motion activated sprinkler on our dock. Open to anything though.

I've heard a couple things that works well.

1. Spray bleach over everything. They don't like the smell. Obviously you have to do this each time the boat gets wet. Mothballs are also reported to work the same.
2. Try an electrified wire on Styrofoam blocks attached to your house battery.
3. Leave a radio on -- or, try one of those high-frequency sonic repellents from Home Depot (they run about $15).

Mothballs don't work.

If you want cheap Chile Pepper got to the nearest East Indian grocery and check the bulk bins they sell some cheap nasty red stuff that is really strong.

Of course you have to deal with it aboard your boat it takes ages to disappear-no going barefoot that's for sure (!)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad had this problem on his dock, and the only thing that worked was bleach. Spray a bleach solution on the dock, and they will likely stay away from the dock and boat. But it's something you'll have to do fairly regularly.

mothballs definetly does not work.buddy used them in his boat--they **** right on top them.

my buddy got one of those stuffed animals thats motion sensitive so anytime a otter came on board it would dance crazy... seemed to have worked.

Also someone on here is using this beeper thing that deters critters of all types beeps a sound all the time seems to stay clear....
personally hate the lil buggers

good luck

Mouse traps set on the pod. Won't seriously hurt them but they won't step on it twice.

I'm suprized about the mothballs not working. My neighbours had a problem with Racoons at their house, pest control guy used big stinky moth balls on the ground. Apparently Raccoons hate them, they were gone in one day. My lab stayed out of our side yard for 2 weeks, she didn't like them either.

As an automotive mechanic i considered this too. Having done several 22re 2.4l, cpi 4.3l and 5.7l motor swaps in toyota 4x4s I'm familiar with the engine controls and inputs

A few things to consider, some of which are dummies down to save me typing paragraphs with my ithumbs , fuel maps are totally different. Autos have a 3d map to deal with variable load and rpm. Ie high rpm low load accell, decelleration cruise. Boats have a much simpler almost linear map baised on an assumed load at a given rpm

Fuel control/ feedback to achieve low emissions is done by the O2 sensor. Without it engine goes into limp mode

Tough to fit that into a set of manifolds...

Vehicle speed sensors are used to control throttle and shift points. The PCs will be looking for those. Gets confused when there are no input there.... Limp mode

Prob some more issues too but my coffee is getting cold

In the end I bought a used mpi setup instead

As an automotive mechanic i considered this too. Having done several 22re 2.4l, cpi 4.3l and 5.7l motor swaps in toyota 4x4s I'm familiar with the engine controls and inputs

A few things to consider, some of which are dummies down to save me typing paragraphs with my ithumbs , fuel maps are totally different. Autos have a 3d map to deal with variable load and rpm. Ie high rpm low load accell, decelleration cruise. Boats have a much simpler almost linear map baised on an assumed load at a given rpm

Fuel control/ feedback to achieve low emissions is done by the O2 sensor. Without it engine goes into limp mode

Tough to fit that into a set of manifolds...

Vehicle speed sensors are used to control throttle and shift points. The PCs will be looking for those. Gets confused when there are no input there.... Limp mode

Prob some more issues too but my coffee is getting cold

In the end I bought a used mpi setup instead

Fixit -- that upgrade would only make your Otter go faster -- not go away :cool:

Back