Ottawa Says No Fish For You

So I guess that's it. One news story on Friday night is all I saw. With Owen saying "there's other places in BC to catch fish". It's too bad that's what stood out, I'm not trying to criticize him in any way. Looks like this will be accepted by the masses as a reasonable measure. ****.

Stiff fines and harsher penalties for fisheries violations no matter who you are would be a good starting point. However, stiffer fines and harsher penalties would only be effective if there was enforcement. Why do you think we continue to see rec anglers catch illegal undersized crabs or take more than their quota of rockfish and ither species? The fines for commercial fisheries violations are steep and severe yet why is there year after year violations and tickets issues for commercial sector? FN fisheries? When there is vuolatuosna dn tickets is issued, every single ticket and fine is dropped prior to going to court or during court. No wonder why all this illegal **** within all sectors continues and has a much bigger impact than these dumbass non science based regs which came out.
What’s that got to do with the ******** Salmon regs? Just curious

So I guess that's it. One news story on Friday night is all I saw. With Owen saying "there's other places in BC to catch fish". It's too bad that's what stood out, I'm not trying to criticize him in any way. Looks like this will be accepted by the masses as a reasonable measure. ****.

Yes the solution is everyone in south B.C. fish WCVI.

I’m sure that’s gonna work out well in the end

What’s that got to do with the ******** Salmon regs? Just curious

What's that got to do with the salmon regs? Its a part of the problem in my opinion. If FN weren't able to get away with gillnetting and illegal catch for resale purposes do you think they would be as aggressive towards DFO for shutting us down? If they get punished for abusing the system and hoarding fish that they are not entitled(aside for their own consumption and ceremonial purposes) do you think they would have pushed DFO that aggressively to shut us down? While most commercial fishermen are honest and obey the rules, there are some who don't and take advantage of huge economic benefits by exceeding quotas, fishing in off limit zones etc.... It only takes a few commercial fleets to engage in illegal activities to make a huge impact due to their ability to scoop up large volumes. The ones who do it obviously feel the economic benefits hugely outweigh the chances they get caught. While this may not be the answer, in my opinion it would make a big difference in putting less pressure on the salmon population and perhaps wouldn't have put us in the place we are today fighting for a piece of the pie and loosing that battle.

At the end of the day, enforcing rules and regulations on everyone comes down to DFO doing their jobs and that will neve happen. But its the first step if they ever get their **** in order in opinion. They have failed miserably and have demonstrated that they belong on ametuer hour comedy shows due to how pathetic and comical their operations are run. I think we can all agree that there are hundreds of other solutions readily available if they truly wanted to protect endangered stocks... Seal anf sea lion cull, deal with commercial herring taking herring out of the water which feeds Chinook, address and put a place in place for habitat destruction, fund hatcheries better and fund clipping program, etc etc... If they implemented just some of these mentioned programs and decided to shut us down, I would be more willing to accept the decision.

Last edited:
There are some really good ideas here, biggest problem is again were dealing with DFO/GOV to do the right thing , like as you all have described , habitat repair, seal/sea lion cull to name a few, most is all out of our control. We need work on things we do have some control over small as they seem . No more data scale samples/head return until closures lifted. Stop the SFAB process AND TELL THE PUBLIC why the longest running committee in no longer functional (one way committee) really good creative ideas falling on deaf ears. Tell the public about the amount of volunteer hours that go into working groups , stream watch, hatchery/net pen just to name a few. The public really has no idea what the volunteer's really do , take it to the schools , get the kids involved (tell them LIBERIALS SUCK !!). We have to get the communities behind us !! We need to find some small wins and build off of that . Im sorry but letter writing maybe makes us feel good but has know real value except showing DFO how many people really do care which is far from good. We really have nothing to lose now , next year will not be better , if your area borders the Van closure your area is next !!!

Supposed to report for June you can guess what I'm going to say in my report
Yup same here on mine , gonna give them a **** load of my mind in the comments, suggest everyone do the same. Then as noted by another give them nothing the next month ! They seem to take what we send to them and either throw it away or use against us

There are some really good ideas here, biggest problem is again were dealing with DFO/GOV to do the right thing , like as you all have described , habitat repair, seal/sea lion cull to name a few, most is all out of our control. We need work on things we do have some control over small as they seem . No more data scale samples/head return until closures lifted. Stop the SFAB process AND TELL THE PUBLIC why the longest running committee in no longer functional (one way committee) really good creative ideas falling on deaf ears. Tell the public about the amount of volunteer hours that go into working groups , stream watch, hatchery/net pen just to name a few. The public really has no idea what the volunteer's really do , take it to the schools , get the kids involved (tell them LIBERIALS SUCK !!). We have to get the communities behind us !! We need to find some small wins and build off of that . Im sorry but letter writing maybe makes us feel good but has know real value except showing DFO how many people really do care which is far from good. We really have nothing to lose now , next year will not be better , if your area borders the Van closure your area is next !!!
You know, when I first joined this forum there was a very vocal group of members desperate to educate everyone about how bad the Conservative government was, and how terrible Stephen Harper was for Canada and especially us fishermen here on the West Coast. When the regime changes only the fisheries minister changes really. The government workers underneath all stay, and keep doing their jobs. Some get direction from their leader, others don’t. I’m not convinced a change in government means a change in fishing decisions.
I agree with you that the volunteers contributions often go unrecognized.

The conservatives have a hunting and fishing caucus.

Do the liberals have one?

Is JT more likely to go on a nature tour in Tofino or go fishing?

If it helps you sleep better at night thinking the liberals did not do this to your fishery then so be it.

The conservatives have a hunting and fishing caucus.

Do the liberals have one?

Is JT more likely to go on a nature tour in Tofino or go fishing?

If it helps you sleep better at night thinking the liberals did not do this to your fishery then so be it.
Read between the lines as creatively as you want.
Just saying fisheries is fisheries, only the minister changes. That’s all.
If you think the conservatives have the courage to fight against the environmentalists and First Nations on this matter, good luck with that.

I doubt many that participate in the process would agree with you.

If you don’t think the liberals are responsible for giving all the Fraser 4.1s to First Nations and closing down the Vancouver fishery in August you have obviously chose to put your hands over your ears.

Maybe it's a pipe dream but what we need is a stronger voice which enables more impact for our demands.... If we had a coalition of anglers both saltwater and freshwater across this nation that represented our rights and wont' allow government ******** to be slung at us.. If everyone saltwater and freshwater angler paid a fee and joined the cause, the money could be used for PR to educate the public on real issues and the DATA, and not made up lies and ******** that the government reports. There would be money to pursue legal action. The number of recreational anglers from both salt and freshwater across this nation has to surely be larger than all the FN, ENGOs and other groups combined. I am sure the east coast fisheries has it's own set of issues and BS related to gov and politics. Maybe I am way off base and there likely is tons of holes in this idea. But what I do know for certain is that at this point in time we need a fresh approach and a different strategy. Sure hope we are dumb enough to do the write letters and spend countless days on a proposal to DFO based on scientific data and evidence. They dont' give a rats butt about the evidence or about us. Accepting that is the 1st step in moving forward.

Down here in WA our Chinook season is now reduced to 2-3 weeks in the summer and there is no winter fishery. We’ve lost 93% of our fishery since 2016. We produce hatchery fish that we no longer get to harvest. There is no C&R. Same issues, different country. Legislative and other means got us nowhere so now we are banding together to pursue the legal route.

https://fishnorthwest.org.

Down here in WA our Chinook season is now reduced to 2-3 weeks in the summer and there is no winter fishery. We’ve lost 93% of our fishery since 2016. We produce hatchery fish that we no longer get to harvest. There is no C&R. Same issues, different country. Legislative and other means got us nowhere so now we are banding together to pursue the legal route.

https://fishnorthwest.org.

Man does that ever ring a bell up here

Nobody cares about fishing or fishermen.
Bottom line.
We do of course, but politicians work for the majority.
The majority cares about reconciliation.
The majority cares about Orcas.
People don’t give a **** whether or not we can bonk Chinooks.
Reality bites.[/QUOTE

your on the wrong forum...we care a hell of a lot about fishing!

Back