.ORG How's the Melting Pot?

Look at it this way guys when .ORG finishes this pot at no cost. The tiger torch I got for free and the propane burner inc. a tank that I got for free. Add in the 300+ pounds of lead I have for less then $100 and the 2-15#molds I got for $50. In the end fishing will be cheaper for many of us. So i can make 20 15#ers for less then $150 and from there every thing is paid for. So at less then $10 a ball everything is paid off in the first 20 balls.

But they are not for sale. This is for fun. Keeping fishing cheaper for some good friends.

As for Lorne he got a great deal on his lead and yes his will be about $0.90 a ball.

Sorry posted this as you guys were posting still........

Look at it this way guys when .ORG finishes this pot at no cost. The tiger torch I got for free and the propane burner inc. a tank that I got for free. Add in the 300+ pounds of lead I have for less then $100 and the 2-15#molds I got for $50. In the end fishing will be cheaper for many of us. So i can make 20 15#ers for less then $150 and from there every thing is paid for. So at less then $10 a ball everything is paid off in the first 20 balls.

But they are not for sale. This is for fun. Keeping fishing cheaper for some good friends.

As for Lorne he got a great deal on his lead and yes his will be about $0.90 a ball.

Is that really all that matter's to you Owen. Not a word about the health of the guy that is building this mold for you for free. Are you really that cold? Come on man!!!!

Is that really all that matter's to you Owen. Not a word about the health of the guy that is building this mold for you for free. Are you really that cold? Come on man!!!!

Ah Owen's not so rough in person. All's good :)
I do like fishin with him. Once this is all over with will get out more for sure.
Worst part of all this is I can't drink my scotch until they fix me up!
I'm feeling stronger right now though so might try and get out Wed if the weatherman's not lying. I'd offer someone to go but I've a full boat. One of my old friends from the Okanagan, and my biz partner. One day when I'm done building boats for others I can build myself a big one haha.

Did you read my next post? That post was made well you guys were bantering back and forth. I caught it before you did....

Oh and I have known about .ORG's health for a long time we PM each other about it rather the making it a online topic.As it is up to him to share it with other online not mine. I think it's called respect....

Cheers,

Hey .ORG tried calling your cell today.Left you a message. Came up with a small aluminum job when you are ready. If not maybe you can dirrect me to some one that is interested in taking it on..

Cheers,

be very carefull with that lead that lorne has, he did trade me some... there is some moisture trapped inside some of it!

be very carefull with that lead that lorne has, he did trade me some... there is some moisture trapped inside some of it!

Really? how is that even possible to trap moisture inside of a 35lb cannonball? I have melted 5 balls and never saw that once. Not sure who you are(traded a few guys over the last little bit) Hope you are ok. Can you give me some more details. i.e when you noticed? did you cut it up into chunks first? etc. Did anything bad happen?

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I have melted 5 balls and never saw that once. Not sure who you are(traded a few guys over the last little bit) Hope you are ok. Can you give me some more details. i.e when you noticed? did you cut it up into chunks first? etc. Did anything bad happen?

Lorne

Lorne do you have bad lead? Do I need to get rid of that lead you traded me? WTF man...You tring to hurt me? Thanks for the warning Gilwell :)

Is this the $0.06 a pound lead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain to me how you could get moisture inside lead.
GLG

I do not think they are talking about inside the cannonball.
Usually the moisture is trapped in the impurities on the lead. That is say if it was from lead pipe or tire weights, moisture gets trapped in the metal clip as it rusts in the tire weight, or under the paint on the piping.

^^^^^ exactly. Thats why i asked who he was and how that is even possible. They are 35 lb commercial cannon balls that i traded. Already poured, and when ive melted them (too make normal size cannon balls or decoy weights) there is less tthen a teaspoon of impurities in them and zero moisture.

Really? how is that even possible to trap moisture inside of a 35lb cannonball? I have melted 5 balls and never saw that once. Not sure who you are(traded a few guys over the last little bit) Hope you are ok. Can you give me some more details. i.e when you noticed? did you cut it up into chunks first? etc. Did anything bad happen?

Lorne

you traded me for 3 12lbs cannon balls

the lead started to "boil" when we put in one of the 2 balls into the pot with around 40lbs of melted lead. was not enough moisture to explode the lead.

Best bet with these is to start them off in the pot, and pre heat the pot with them in the pot (same as with wheel weights)

Lorne do you have bad lead? Do I need to get rid of that lead you traded me? WTF man...You tring to hurt me? Thanks for the warning Gilwell :)

Is this the $0.06 a pound lead?

Fish Assassin, it is good lead you got.

Just be safe while working with lead! Pre heat any suspious lead, get it hot before droping it in the pot. I've been doing this for awhile now, and we made the mistake of not pre heating it. Have seen this many times before with commercial cannon balls.

Thinking, no more trades for me... I'll just stick to my lead supplier and 99.9% pure lead

^^^^^ exactly. Thats why i asked who he was and how that is even possible. They are 35 lb commercial cannon balls that i traded. Already poured, and when ive melted them (too make normal size cannon balls or decoy weights) there is less tthen a teaspoon of impurities in them and zero moisture.

Do you flux your lead?

Not sure how the water gets in. But the other day I made about 40-1#ers using old dive belt lead. One of them kicked back and boiled like crazy. Would think it was because of water that got in a crack or a air pocket some how. I could only think it was forced in there under pressure while diving.

As I said before get the lead hot before dropping it in the pot, or stick to pure lead that was not dragged through the water before.

I dont want to see anyone get hurt pouring lead.

If you want any tips on pouring lead just ask. If you get into making smaller moulds and the lead is not getting a full pour there are ways of getting it right, just ask.

For fishing weights we want to use pure lead, wheel weights are no where near pure. Even after melting them down and fluxing the pot.

And please, dont get into using the lead out of car batteries... way to many deaths every year from this

Back