oregon steelhead slaughter

R

rico

I hate reading about stuff like this.

readhttp://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/police_asking_for_help_solving.htm

That is sick and the reward of 1000$ what a joke! They should be fined up the ying Yang. It's because of this fisheries are declying so rapidly, some people just don't care!:(

yah, i thought the reward was pretty weak. i hope they catch whoever did that, and i hope the punishment is much more severe!:(

The reprocussion of such activies is irreversable once we pass the brink of total anielation of those stocks. These petty fines are rediculous when you consider the penalties that Revenue Canada issues for late payments just for example.

$1000.00 is a joke. When will they get serious. Poaching should get minimun 5 years in jail. Trafficking drugs is no worse in my opinion. The effects on lives are equally devestating. Once our fish are gone, people lives will be changed forever.

This goes for all animals for that matter. Abuse and exploitation is not taken seriously enough by our government.[xx(][xx(]:(:([V]

I agree 100% serious punishment would prevent these things, and maybe more of a public awarness this is going on!

-Steve

Not sure if I'm missing something here but I think the "reward leading to information" is $1,000, I can only hope the fine plus jail is much more.

Hey Steel..etc Dont give up on the Willy that easily. I know guys that do quite well. Even ODFG says nice things too..
quote:WILLAMETTE RIVER: sturgeon, steelhead, warmwater species

A 12+ pound Steelhead
- Oregon Fish and Wildlife-
Through Dec. 4, 7,017 coho (4,046 adults and 2,971 jacks) have passed over Willamette Falls. The large number of jacks bodes well for coho returns next fall. A few early winter steelhead continue to move over the falls, but the numbers are typically low (174 to date) and we would not expect decent numbers of fish to begin moving over the falls until later in December. You may want to start planning your trip to take advantage of excellent catch and release opportunities for wild winter steelhead in the Molalla and Santiam rivers this coming winter.

Early hatchery winter steelhead returning to Eagle Creek Hatchery on the Clackamas as well as early wild winter steelhead can provide good opportunity in the Willamette between the mouth of the Clackamas and Meldrum Bar. Fish will tend to hold in this area as they wait for cues to move into tributaries or above Willamette Falls. Low river flows or cold snaps will tend to slow fish down and the big water of the Willamette can provide some intriguing opportunities early in the year.

The Dec. 9 conditions showed Willamette flows dropping further to 9,000 cfs with a temperature of 46° and the visibility up to 5.7 ft.

The sturgeon angling remained fairly slow last week in the lower Willamette. From Multnomah Channel to the lower Portland Harbor near St. Johns, and on up through the Milwaukie/Oregon City area sublegal sturgeon continued to dominate the catch. There was an occasional keeper reported as well.

Sturgeon anglers are reminded that effective Jan. 1, 2009, a new method of measuring sturgeon for retention will take effect statewide. Under the new rules, sturgeon will be measured from the tip of the nose to the fork in the tail (rather than the tip of the tail). The resulting allowed retention measurements are slightly shorter than the old method. As a result, the 2009 slot measurement for sturgeon caught in the Willamette River will be 38 to 54 inches. Remember, this is a simple conversion of the old method. It does not mean you can keep smaller fish, only that the method of measuring “keepers” has changed. From Jan. 1 on, make sure that your sturgeon is of legal length under this NEW measurement technique.

Bank fishing for sturgeon can be found at Meldrum Bar, at the wall in downtown Oregon City and at Kelly Point on the St. Johns peninsula. Sturgeon anglers have been using frozen smelt, shad, herring and anchovies as effective bait.

Sturgeon anglers must remember that retention of white sturgeon is allowed four days per week on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday through Dec. 31, 2008. This regulation applies to the lower Willamette below Willamette Falls and includes Multnomah Channel. Also, sturgeon landed in the Willamette must be from 42 to 60 inches in length to be retained.

The Willamette provides an excellent warm water fishery in the summer and early fall months. You can expect to find an abundance of bass, crappie, and bluegill available. Target the rocky outcroppings, structures, or old pilings. Casting a variety of plugs or jigs near the shoreline can be successful. A simple bobber and night crawler might prove to be the right choice also. The local tackle shops can set you up with the right gear and direct you to the best spots. Lately, warm water anglers have reported catching primarily smallmouth bass at depths of 30 to 40 feet.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Wow cool dude...horray for us and screw every one else..... Im so sorry life sucks so bad:(

Humpy, YHBT - "You Have Been Trolled". Don't answer to him alias: cooldude, tidehunter, silverbullit, philharris. He is going to get banned soon.

wow thats disgusting. it always seems to be the case that no one saw what happened. and why are they just gutted? sounds a lil odd

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

Unfortunately… EGGS</u> is correct! :(

A few years back while fishing the Nisqually I ran across “large” PILES of fish, much larger than this article relates too. All were gutted and left on the bank to rot? I remember seeing all those nets out and saying to myself… What a waste! I reported it to officials and their response was there was nothing they could do about it! I haven’t bought any eggs or been river fishing since!

Back