orcas appetite for sea lions

For how smart they seem in their hunting techniques, I surprised they all don't eat the seals.

Yes... the coast would be a much better place if these transient Orca's would indeed start feeding strictly on seals.. :p

Yes... the coast would be a much better place if these transient Orca's would indeed start feeding strictly on seals.. :p

Really? Look at this quote from Micheal Biggs... Despite the diversity of fish
species taken, resident whales have a clear preference for salmon prey. In field observations of feeding, 96% of fish
taken were salmonids. Six species of salmonids were identified from prey fragments, with chinook salmon

(Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) being the most common.

maybe we need to nuke those bastards... then our sport would have one less competitor. (in case you missed it-- it was a poorly disguised attempt at sarcasm on my part. LOL)

Them seals are starting to show up in wolfpaks arround nanaimo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they are. I managed to get out for a few hours last Monday with my daughter and the seals were everywhere. We could only stay in an area a little while then motor away from them several times. They were relentless. No sooner we'd get a fish on the hook and the seals showed up.

A pod of orcas swam by us, the seals disappeared but then came a herd of whale watching boats. Between the seals, the whales and the mass of people chasing the whales in about 30 boats, there was no peace.

too bad u could not have popped one and fed as a snack to them , get them addicted and licking their chops for more.
we should all apply to DFO for experimental harvesting permits....then maybe dfo will get the message that a cull is necessary.
I understand Natives can harvest for food and ceremony , we should support this and get them into the biz.
I would love some smoked jerky seal and a seal skin rain coat.

A pod of orcas swam by us, the seals disappeared but then came a herd of whale watching boats. Between the seals, the whales and the mass of people chasing the whales in about 30 boats, there was no peace.

Can you believe they call those boats "echo", as in echo tourism?? As of right now those tourist speed boats are my number one nuisance....far too fast, far too loud, and far too disrespectful to other boaters.

Back