Optimum kicker bracket height ???

kanuckle head

Looking for the best height/depth on relocating my kicker bracket
I have a new'r Yami high thrust EX long to replace a long leg Honda kicker
The bracket will be replaced by a stationary system instead of the weaker adjust up-down crap

Should the prop of the newer motor sit lower on the hull or should the captivation fins be the height of the water level @ troll, be the more crucial height???

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanx
Kh

I am setting up my outboard now too...what I found is that if I set the kicker cav plate at water level it is not deep enough...any wave action result in the cav plate and the water inlets to the cooling system coming out of the water...in larger waves, and wakes from passing boats, the prop will even come out. I am using my adjustable kicker bracket to test various depths and so far with the cav plate about 2-3" under, when stationary, its just about right. The other consideration is making sure that when the kicker in in the transport (up) position that the prop is clear of the wake of the main motor.

I would think you would want the prop in the clear water below the hull. That would mean putting the cavitation plate near the base of the transom in front of the kicker.

I agree the deeper the better for sure. Here is a shot of my kicker down and I have zero issues with it caviatating our getting the housing wet. It is an XL shaft 2009.......

Attachments

• Ready to go!.jpg
    Ready to go!.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 407
  • Aug292011 601.jpg
    Aug292011 601.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 408
My understanding is that ideally you want the cavitation plate to be even with the extension of the bottom of your hull where your mounting it. After that you do have to make sure it will clear your wake when underway. Being that it will be a fixed bracket you will probably have to compromise. It's the same dilemma that I have and I will make observations regarding clearance before drilling the Bracket Holes.

Here is a picture of where I mounted mine. No sea trial yet but I'll post back if there is an issueImageUploadedByTapatalk1369420726.922524.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369420741.289135.jpg

here's the bracket without the kicker:

here's the kicler sitting on the bracket (9.9 Honda X-tra long shaft)

Here's the clearance when it's tilted

You want the cav plate even with the bottom of your boat or just shy of it. Any higher, when you get in a following sea you'll suck air

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 with Sharphooks cav plate even or as close to bottom of hull as possible

X2 with Sharphooks cav plate even or as close to bottom of hull as possible

If I do so my extra long leg may not clear if tilted to the max when the big motor bites to get up on plane on a fixed kicker mount, but would sacrifice that than to constantly run the kicker starving for water & cavitating IMO

My extra LNG shaft just clears the water I found in rough water it maybe to low as ways get upto the cowling

The optimum way is to have a rigid adjustable kicker bracket that tucks away when not in use & drops down in increments to prevent the motor to suck water in the cowl in lumpy conditions

non existence in my pocket book, may have to design one:p

Back