Optimax Oil Comsumption

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

I have been keeping a record this year regarding the amount of fuel and oil that my 2005 135hp Optimax is burning. I have noticed that I seem to be burning fuel to oil at a ratio of 40:1. I was under the impression that the Optimax should run around 80:1. I normally cruze around 4000RPM and I idle very little. Is this oil consumption normal? or is something wrong and if so any ideas what I should check first?

Capt

They will double oil when put in break in mode. If you primed the motor via pumping the gearshift forwards 3-5 times with key in on position that will also kick in "break in mode". Could be stuck or are your kids playing in the boat when your not looking? lol

They use way more oil above 4000 rpms. I keep mine under that, 38-3900 max.

If you had asked a Merc dealer he would have told you that.

My 135 seems to run about 60:1 I find as the revs go up oil consumption goes up. Same thing it seems to take a jump right at 4000. 3900 and I would bet it would be closer to the factory 80:1. Problem is my boat performs really nice at 4200

I haven't run oil-injected 2strokes in years, but I always remember that the oiling was a variable rate; lots of oil at high rpms, little oil at low rpm. I seem to recall that Yamaha engines were around 50:1 at higher rpms.

Question for you guys: why are you using Mercury brand oil? I remember 2stroke oil was classified by different grades such as TCW-II, and then TCW-III. Isn't that all you need to satisfy your warranty? Just curious.

I think the Merc stuff is better for the engine but thats my opinion. The shipping is not bad to blaine. I usually order 10gallons and it costs about 300 bucks

If that is actual Merc. Optimax or Quicksilver (their non dealer brand) DFI oil that would seem to be a very good price at about $7.60 a liter. In BC if you can get it for $10.00 a liter you are doing good and I have seen it much higher.

Replacement cost on a 225/250 Opti is going to be in the $20,000. range, so using oil specifically formulated for them is not a bad idea.

Perhaps we need some sort of Opti DFI Oil bulk shared purchase club with a few of us and purchase in larger quantities at better prices or import it from the US as you may be doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy it bulk from my dealer in Tofino using my own container for about $8 liter

It's comes in sealed Containers marked with all the correct Mercury markings. I kind of doubt that they would be faking the oil

There was no intention to imply otherwise. I know that some use high quality but somewhat lower cost oil in Opti’s that is not specifically Merc DFI oil. I also know you can buy Merc. DFI in bulk in large drums around 50 gal. which sounds like the source for Fishtofino's $8.00 a liter oil, taking his own containers.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your TCW3 oil, blue is bad, green is good, brown is best. Also be aware that Merc will not warranty new Optimax's if they are not using genuine Merc TCW3.

There was no intention to imply otherwise. I know that some use high quality but somewhat lower cost oil in Opti’s that is not specifically Merc DFI oil. I also know you can buy Merc. DFI in bulk in large drums around 50 gal. which sounds like the source for Fishtofino's $8.00 a liter oil, taking his own containers.

They have like a 250 gallon tank. The motor runs quieter with the optimax oil in it too.

For your TCW3 oil, blue is bad, green is good, brown is best. Also be aware that Merc will not warranty new Optimax's if they are not using genuine Merc TCW3.
Just wondering where you come up with blue is bad ? is that just in Merc tcw3 mix oil or in all tcw3?

I am referring to the cheaper non Merc TCw3. You save in the short time on cost by using it but it definitely shortens the life of your motor and the build up in the head is very noticeable when you compare engines that have run on Castrol TCW3 (blue) for instance vs Merc TCW3. Even though it meets the "standards" it is an inferior product. I learned from experience and heard about it every time I took my 225 opti in for service.

Back