Opinion On Older Boats

Oglthorpe

Hey guys, I am just looking for some opinions. I am thinking, once my boat sells, of getting into an older boat as kind of a project, not stringers and transoms, but something older that can be cleaned up and updated a bit, and putting on reliable power.

I am thinking about hard tops in the 19'-23' range, stove, sink, bed in the cabin and the cuddy. I know that the Hourston, Sangster and Double Eagles are a good, but kind of hard to find and usually are expensive for what you get.

I have been kind of looking at Glasply's lately. They are kind of goofy looking but the more I look the more they are growing on me, and you can find them relatively cheap.

Does anybody have experience with Glasplys, or these other boats, or have another make in mind that I missed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

><///(°> ><///(°>

Don't know the first thing about Glassply boats :) but usually you get what you pay for...eh ;)

gonefishingsign.gif

I used to have one they are great hulls, In the old ads they dropped one from a helicopter into the water then had a diver swim out to it and drive it away. I took it out in a big storm just to see how it would handle it, the waves were huge, but it made out just fine. I noticed that in a 4-5 ft chop when your trolling along all of a sudden you would take the odd one over the bow. I would say the amount of floatation in the hull troubled me a little bit. They are kinda famous for the hulls getting waterlogged. We took our floor off and took out the old sponge (foam) from under the floor. Then re-did the floor again. All in all an ok boat.

I noticed that Boston Whaler wasn't on your list of boats to consider? Did you know that they did make an older cuddy cabin style? Unsinkable can't hurt.;)

Take only what you need.

A couple of friends have them...... its a very heavy and sturdy hull, and a very good ride for their size.... Ive seen a couple changed to outboard from IO`s... pretty nice set up..... and below the border should be alot of the around

i have a 20ft glasply.
fantastic boats, great hull. very stable compared to what i had before....
just make sure its powered right, mine was underpowered with a 120.
i threw a 200 on wow what a difference...

iscootblue.png

Howdy,

Bang on RS... I'd be all over that puppy if the stringers and transom are half solid. If this is an early 70's Fiberform (and it may well be) I can attest to the quality of the hull build; I owned a 71' - 18/footer and I once hit a 2-foot diameter X 50/ft log beneath Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver that basically stopped me cold in the water and blew out the hydraulics on the sterndrive as we slid over it. When I finally pulled the boat out of the water a week later, I could only find some anti-fouling paint scraped off and that was it. That was it!

Back in them days fiberglass was dirt-cheap and the better boat-builders laid it on in spades. I did what you are talking about doing Oglthorpe. I found a 1980 19/ft Zeta last year and repowered her with a new Merc 4.3/MPI Sterndrive then plunked her onto a brand new trailer.

Total cost: about $24/K.
To buy the same boat new: About $60/K

Good luck in your search.

Terry

If you are looking at building up an older boat, and doing the updates yourself, usually you will get yourself an awesome fishing machine for less then 1/3 the price of new, and you have control over what goes in them.

Glasply boats are excellent for our waters, and the narrower beam at the waterline makes them somewhat better on fuel. It may be hard to find one without rot in it, but stringer/transoms are not that hard at all on those style of boats, and can be well worth the effort as one of them needing structural work should pretty much be a haul-away special anyway.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

><///(°> ><///(°>

A glasply ad at Eagle Eye, posted in July, so might be gone.

Ron, 474.2415

I think it's at sooke harbour marina. Sounded like it's already fixed up, didn't have a price.

PS free boat on usedvictoria
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/6920995
22' fibreform, no trailer or motor

When you decide what you want to do for a boat and it is a glasply you buy you can if you want give me a call and ill tell you what I have learnt working on mine from taking the io out to podding it.to completly re wiring it etc as I did most of it myself.

If you want you could always buy mine LOL LOL for a price.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

When you decide what you want to do for a boat and it is a glasply you buy you can if you want give me a call and ill tell you what I have learnt working on mine from taking the io out to podding it.to completly re wiring it etc as I did most of it myself.

If you want you could always buy mine LOL LOL for a price.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thanks for the offer Wolf, I will definately pick your brain if I do end up buying a glasply.

I would miss out on all the fun if I just bought yours off of you, looks nice though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

><///(°> ><///(°>

Back