Open for any advice for prince Rupert , Skeena area all ears

Travo

Heading to prince Rupert from July 14-22 to do some salmon fishing , halibut and drop some pots , also want to do some short float fishing in the local rivers if water is low enough on them yet ... Will be hiring a guide for a few days on ocean but I want to bring them on are boat a 22 foot north river outboard 150hp merc .. I will absorb every bit of knowledge I can from are guide but am all ears to any flashers, hootchies bait I should bring up with me ... Bait I will buy there ... I own about 80 different Lyman plugs should I bring any . . .? Lots of spoons etc ...

Travo,

You will be hitting the tail end of the spring run on the ocean. The first two weeks of July are usually the best. I lived there for years and fished the ocean and rivers regularly. Spoons and hootchies work but bait is king. Cut plug or teaser head. Avery Island, Squatterie, Tree Knob, goble point, the brain, and Simpson rock are all good spots for a boat your size. There are lots of Hali holes in Chatham sounds, and if the weather is good you could probably venture off into the Hecate strait. I would suggest Traylings tackle shop to find out what is hot and where fishing has been good. Prince Rupert requires some long runs to the fishing grounds.

As far as rivers go there aren't many in prince Rupert. You need to hit the Siemens closer to terrace. China bar and the mouth of the kasiks don't require a boat, but they are big rivers. Lead and spin and glow on the spleens and spoons are typical on the tribes.

Thank you , do you know if the local tackle shops will be well stocked with a good selection of both ocean and river Gear ? Or should I buy all my gear in kamloops or vancouver ?

Kitimat ,Terrace and Prince have well stocked tackle shops that will put you into a money spending trance. :)

Like was said B4, Terrace and Rupert are fishing towns and have the gear and the up to date knowledge on hot sizes and colours, which change quickly due to water levels and colouration. Support the towns you fish and you will be rewarded.
Usually for the rivers you can cast Kitimat or Coho spoons (get the right size and colours) or spin and glows and weights on a steelhead style rig. Coho like the green/chartreuse and silver and the chinook are picky and it varies. Take rods with backbone and make sure your drag works well. My neighbours used to throw back any chinook under 15 lbs and any coho under 10.

http://www.noelgyger.ca/current-fishing-reports.htm

I already came to conclusion I was going to support the local shops you should see my tackle collection lol I def support the local shops I was just clearing off all my freshwater gear so I can load up with salty when I get there I'm stoked ... I just wish I had more than a week there so I could explore time flys when your having fun ... I have already contacted Noel he lined me up with a guide who is goimg to take us out for 2 days while we're there .thanks guys

I'll be heading from Bella Bella to Rupert by boat on the 25th of July. Any springs around then? What about in the waters south of Rupert?

I'll be heading from Bella Bella to Rupert by boat on the 25th of July. Any springs around then? What about in the waters south of Rupert?

Stop at Shearwater, ask them where Cheney Point is if you do not already know. Find a spoon with Chartreuse, Bobs your uncle.

Skeena and Nass runs are earlier most Springs will be up river.

Stop at Shearwater, ask them where Cheney Point is if you do not already know. Find a spoon with Chartreuse, Bobs your uncle.

Skeena and Nass runs are earlier most Springs will be up river.

Thank you SeaWolf. I have done this trip once in the past during the same time of year and it was more of a Coho show, didn't get into too many springs. I'll check out Cheney Point (Athlone Island?).

Anywhere along the kelp beds of Athlone can be good. Cheney gets the most traffic especially from lodge boats.

Back