Online shopping

Rayvon

I've found it frustrating trying to buy fishing gear and electronics online.I've ordered out of the states a couple of times and was either shocked by the added fee's,customs,shipping and of course the dollar difference or they don't send the exact item ordered.I'd like to order in Canada,has anyone found a good Canadian site to order from? I spend lots of money locally,but it's nice to compare pricing online.

I have used Amazon.ca for purchases (not fishing gear)
and they have always shipped quickly and accurately.
usually prepaid freight

I've recently had a couple of good experiences ordering stuff (Garmin radar unit and radar mount) from the US on ebay.ca. They offer an international shipping option that includes shipping cost as well as any custom clearance charges up front. No surprises at the door. Delivery was within two weeks of order. All priced in Canadian $.

I'm currently looking for a new VHF and antenna and don't mind paying for quality gear. I'm running a new Simrad NSS7 evo2 on NMEA 2000 network.All the new VHF's come with DSC and most of the better ones have built in GPS and AIS. I can't see how I need GPS or AIS and do I need to be NMEA 2000 compatible,most VHF's aren't. I've been looking at Lowrance Link8,Simrad RS35,Icom 506,and Standard Horizon GX1700 matched with Shakespere Galaxy 8 Ft 5225-xt antenna.Can anybody recommend one of these or others,I'm low tech and just want something bullet proof reliable.

1. but from the posts on this forum it sounded like a great store that catered to the local fisherman. I wish them well with whatever happens next....

This is another case of folks looking for the "best buy" online or through other avenues.

Buy local folks. It supports your local economy. It is good to go talk to people face to face and be social about fishing related topics.

Last edited: Yesterday at 11:44 PM
    Yesterday at 11:33 PMReport
    LikeReply

2. ziggyWell-Known Member
    New

Very sad indeed, liked shopping there even though I never bought anything big. Heard that they were boycotted by some suppliers which didn't help the product selection. But what they did have was good and useful.
    I heard that as well. I find it very troubling, if true, that an established tackle store was applying pressure on the suppliers to hold back stock.

I'm all for shopping at home. As I've stated 99% of my tackle comes from local retailers. The local stores get most of my business. However, in this day and age you can find a far better selection of stuff that is hard or impossible to find online (usually at far better prices). You can't fault a guy for doing some shopping online. Unless you live in a major city it is often a hassle to get what you are looking for sometimes as a lot of travel time may be involved. Most individual anglers don't have a commercial account with the resultant discount at their local tackle stores. They also don't get their GST rebated through input tax credits from running a business. So, you can't fault a guy who's on a tight budget or lives in a remote area for doing some of his shopping online.

It's a big world and I like to order stuff that is not available at home online occasionally. The vast majority of my gear was purchased at home and it always will be. Giving guys static because they do some online shopping is out of line in my opinion. I own a North American made vehicle and I always will. Unless your boat is running a North American manufactured power plant and everything else you use is sourced at home as well, I think you are being a little hypocritical.

Where a guy chooses to shop is really no business but his own. Everyone likes to support there local businesses, but sometimes the prices and selection leave much to be desired.

I spent a small fortune shopping at Nikki over 30 years. I sorely miss their closing. It left a huge hole in the local retail tackle business. I certainly don't think their closure can be blamed on guys not shopping locally. Like many of the larger tackle businesses that have closed locally I think the downturn in sales from the commercial fishing industry was far more of a factor.

A guy should be able to make a post about where is the best option to purchase something without getting a big guilt trip. Just my opinion.

I've been talking to Harbour Chandlers with mixed results,I think it might depend on who you talk to for best pricing.Believe me,my local stores(Victoria)get plenty of my money.

Chandler treats me pretty good and I don't have an "in"

A lot of online businesses are also local. Please also realize that many online retailers may not be able to put certain things into store based on the margins or wholesalers.

This happens frequently when manufacturers in North America compete with Asian offshore products. It can be tough to make money off your products.

The best situation is to support stores and online retailers locally within bc or canada if you can. That is how I do it myself.

I always thought this forum was about learning from well informed people that share a common interest (Sport fishing). I asked what I thought was a simple question and have no interest in a debate about buying online or locally. Can anyone give me some advise on the best VHF and antenna to buy and where or not?

I'm currently looking for a new VHF and antenna and don't mind paying for quality gear. I'm running a new Simrad NSS7 evo2 on NMEA 2000 network.All the new VHF's come with DSC and most of the better ones have built in GPS and AIS. I can't see how I need GPS or AIS and do I need to be NMEA 2000 compatible,most VHF's aren't. I've been looking at Lowrance Link8,Simrad RS35,Icom 506,and Standard Horizon GX1700 matched with Shakespere Galaxy 8 Ft 5225-xt antenna.Can anybody recommend one of these or others,I'm low tech and just want something bullet proof reliable.

Got a great Standard Horizon GX1700 with GPS and DSC from Trotac and it was a great deal with a rebate. Only draw back is no speaker on the mic, so had to remount it high on my dash, instead of under. The GX2000 would be good for a noisy boat. http://www.standardhorizon.com/pdf/7-14-2016_2016_Endless_Summer_rebate.pdf

I always thought this forum was about learning from well informed people that share a common interest (Sport fishing). I asked what I thought was a simple question and have no interest in a debate about buying online or locally. Can anyone give me some advise on the best VHF and antenna to buy and where or not?

Go to Trotac or Harbour Chandler.

Pacific Net and twine is now a authorized Lowrance dealer for the Richmond & Prince Rupert stores only. Richmond store now has Brent (who had ran the Nikka program) running the electronic & accessories program for PNT .....

Just a caution on buying locally. I made the journey to Nanaimo in late June to check out the new Fishing and Hunting box store ( let's just call it "C"). Picked up a Ugly Still Tiger Lite for Hali fishing after the salesman told me they were awesome and had a great warranty. Yesterday the top six inches broke off when a dogfish took my bait. Called the local box store and was told, too bad, so sad, we only honour the warranty for 90 days. After that you have to deal with the manufacturer.

So from my perspective, if the local stores simply direct you to contact the manufacturer, why bother using them? Why not shop online and get the best deal possible.

I doubt I would have had this problem with Trotac, but at the time, they didn't have this product. As I said to the C's fishing manager, if you provide no service, why should anyone buy through you? Might as well do the whole transaction online and avoid paying for your fancy store

Anyway my point is that online shopping is preferable to driving up island to an American box store. Support the local guys, but only if they support their customers!

Standard Horizon VHF with what options you need for you and your boat; 5225-XT (Galaxy) antenna; you always want a high watt output VHF and a good antenna. If you want AIS; then get same brand with a Galaxy AIS antenna and your set. The higher quality (SH, Icom and Lowrance) are all good radios, but I have had numerous SH radios and never had a problem with them.
I have my plotters and both VHF radios networked all together for the DSC, easy to do as well if you can read directions and aren't color blind, or you can talk with Moose and get him to install and network everything for you.

I buy all my tackle locally regardless of the price because really it's not that expensive and to maybe save a few bucks is not worth the hassle. As for electronics online I would highly recommend GPS City out of Calgary.

Back