Oil for Mercury Optimax Engines

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
So I needed some oil for my Optimax this weekend so I went to my local Marine store to pick some up. Man was I surprised to find a price tag of 64 dollars + tax for 4 liters of oil. I didn't have an option so I bought the oil but this morning I did some online research and found that in the states I can order 5 gallons (18.92liters) for 161.4 dollars including tax and shipping which works out to 8.53$/liter compared to 18.38 $/liter dollars locally. The local stores should not be surprised when boaters don't support local business when they are gouging people to these extremes. I ordered the oil online today and will continue to do so!

As the owner of 2 optimax's I can tell you you can buy cheap blue 2 stroke oil (ranging from $20-30 gallon) that works, I have used it, BUT it is terrible for your engine. My mechanic yells at me every time he sees it in my oil reservoir. He says it can take hundreds of hours off your engine life. Mercury makes a 2 stroke oil that is like $8 or $9 a litre but is specifically made for optimax's. So you can pay now or pay later when you have to replace the motor.

I have just lined up my purchase of my ETEC oil (XD100). I can get it from the states from Suncoast or DOMO at $40 shipped, here was close to $60. I was planning to buy 6+ gallons (I have a 3 gallon tank) but before buying US, I checked with my dealer (Lordship) and they offer bulk pricing in 6 Gallon cases for $45/gal (rather than $60/gal) . Happy with that, I will shop up North for this purchase. IMO if your dealer or anyone selling you a product isn't willing to make a reduced profit in lieu of zero profit, then well, you shouldn't feel bad about shopping south.

I have just lined up my purchase of my ETEC oil (XD100). I can get it from the states from Suncoast or DOMO at $40 shipped, here was close to $60. I was planning to buy 6+ gallons (I have a 3 gallon tank) but before buying US, I checked with my dealer (Lordship) and they offer bulk pricing in 6 Gallon cases for $45/gal (rather than $60/gal) . Happy with that, I will shop up North for this purchase. IMO if your dealer or anyone selling you a product isn't willing to make a reduced profit in lieu of zero profit, then well, you shouldn't feel bad about shopping south.

Its not always the dealer but rather the manufacture that jack the price up up here cause there selling less then in the US.Mercury products is a great example.

You used to be able to buy bulk Opti oil through RPM in Tofino as well; I switched to a Verado; so I don't know if Stefan is still selling it in bulk. Maybe one of the Tofino members would know if he still does!

You used to be able to buy bulk Opti oil through RPM in Tofino as well; I switched to a Verado; so I don't know if Stefan is still selling it in bulk. Maybe one of the Tofino members would know if he still does!

Yup, still does. Got some the other day

Another option is the high performance Sierra brand looks the same as the merc stuff and was what i used when we tore the engine down one time for the changing of the reeds was impressed how clean it was inside, my buddy who is a merc mech. got me onto that oil and its very good.

wolf

Mercury Premium Plus oil. Easy to find in bulk, works great in the Optimax and is pretty cheap compared to the Opti Oil.
Dave

Back