On sale at CDN Tire 2.5W SOLAR BATTERY MAINTAINER

GLG

2a1a1961-11a4-451a-bec1-b210a57d280f.jpg

COLEMAN 2.5W SOLAR BATTERY MAINTAINER

was $30 now on sale for $10

I'm not finding it in this weeks flyer. Where did you come across this item and would they be suitable for over wintering marine batteries? Thanks.;) eman

Just checked and looks like Royal Oak Cdn Tire has some. Gonna pick one up today. Saves using an extension cord across the driveway for my trickle charger.

I'm not finding it in this weeks flyer. Where did you come across this item and would they be suitable for over wintering marine batteries? Thanks.;) eman

Picked up a couple yesterday at CDN tire here in the Comox Valley.
Looks like they have 50 or more in that store.
Yup they work for over winter trickle at least as I understand.

Thanks GLG, I'll drop by tommorow and scoop one. I'm not to up on the solar thing. Not unless you include lawn lights.lol And they sucked.;) eman

3.5 stars/5...7 reviews...varying reviews;some mention it only puts out 1 -1.5 amp,to cheap to be true?

Dec/2013 Can Tire cust review:
" Drained my battery - Defective or no diode. Either way, I am not pleased, as I have to fork over $150 for a new battery. Should test battery after a day with this unit to ensure it is working. "

I found I needed two of that size to keep a charge on the type 24 battery, l use in my tyee row boat. 2.5watts is not much at 12v its only 200milliamps, and less as the voltage gets higher. And all l use the battery for is nav lights in the early morning and evening. But for me it is a big plus not to have to drag the battery home to charge it.

Good info guys... I'm using them for maintaining not so much for charging.
During the summer I fish one or two days a week so won't need them then.
Come winter that's when I hope to see value.
Don't have to drag the charger out to top up the batteries.
Thanks SS for the tip ...I checked them out on the voltmeter so they seem to be working.

gungadin time to switch to led on your nav lights...:rolleyes:

Good info guys... I'm using them for maintaining not so much for charging.
During the summer I fish one or two days a week so won't need them then.
Come winter that's when I hope to see value.
Don't have to drag the charger out to top up the batteries.
Thanks SS for the tip ...I checked them out on the voltmeter so they seem to be working.
gungadin time to switch to led on your nav lights...:rolleyes:

Voltmeter really doesn't matter - it's the amps that the charger delivers that's important. If the battery is fully charged when you put the boat in storage, and there's no phantom current draw, these chargers might keep the battery up. If we get a real cold snap, and/or periods where there's not much sun light on the charger, all bets are off.

Used to use these up till a couple of years ago when my boat was in a storage facility.They seemed to work fine.Just
pointed them toward the high noon sun and my batteries were always fully charged and ready to go no matter what
time of year it was.I've moved the boat home since then and have upgraded to the larger 7 watt panels.These provide
close to 1 full amp and will recharge a 12 volt battery from a depleted state in about 48 hrs.If I need them topped up
quicker than that I just throw them on the plug in charger at a 2 amp trickle charge.I find the solar panels very
convenient and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Back