omc adjustable kicker bracket - help

fishies

Hi guys
I recently bought a new to me boat with one of those omc adjustable kicker brackets with the hydraulic piston. When I bought the boat the old owner made it look so easy, switch the lever to lower, lift slightly till you hear a click and it disengage s, then lower.
I can't seem to get it to disengage so I can lower it. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong or what might be wrong with the bracket? Worked fine when I bought it but after the long tow home I can't get it down.

Thanks in advance!

Flick the lever and push it down to release, I think you need to lift it up a little bit to disengage it to lower it. Mine does, but it sucks I'm going to get a metal one fabricated.

My boat also came with an adjustable OMC bracket. Without the kicker you will have to put considerable downward pressure on the bracket to lower it and also need downward pressure to release it to raise it. I replaced the OMC with custom made fixed bracket. The OMC bracket was well made, but it just wasn't suitable for my situation.

Just my opinion---those OMC brackets are complete junk--the sooner you get it replaced with a fixed bracket, the better off you'll be. Unless you strap your engine down (and I mean REALLY strap it down---both while you're trailering or underway on the water) your kicker will bounce on that bracket and each time it bounces it will start to "pear out" the P.O.S. notches OMC cut in the bracket sides---eventually, the entire bracket will be sloppy and the bouncing will just get worse.

I have heard anecdotal tales of OMC brackets eventually falling apart and people's kickers ending up 100 fathoms under the boat or worse, bouncing off the transom on a torn up bracket which promotes a dangerous situation

I was able to get a fixed bracket fabricated for $ 250 which matched the holes of the OMC bracket--getting rid of it and going to a fixed bracket was the best up-grade I ever did to my boat

IMG_3229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back