Old Scotty blue Saltaire Downrigger

sushieater

I was recently given a couple of the old style scotty manuals call the Saltaire. These are the blue ones with the short boom that look like this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-of-Scot...ry-Nice-Fishing-Metal-Line-Boat-/350885105318

Anyone have much experience with them? They look in great shape. The small size is nice as this isn't for a serious fishing rig, but it would be nice to occasionally drop a ball down.

Any thoughts on the max weight of cannonball to use with it?

thanks

I used those years ago, worked just fine, On my tin boat, I mounted them just ahead of the tiller seat, everything was easily accessable, no braid in those days, don't believe I went beyond 60ft or so and used a 10lb cannonball.

I have one I bought in the early 80's and used it till 2008. They work great. I used 10lb ball max.

I grew up fishin those with my old man. Brings back memories

I still use one on my kayak with a 7 lb ball or 5 lb in the summer. They will easily handle 10 lbs tho. Works great and makes me think of all the great times I had using it with my father.
Here's a pic.

T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotty's fishing gears are tough and very good products. Can't be go wrong. It's worth for better anglers and Fishing guides.!

T2, I love that setup. Looks like no matter the conditions, you are ready.

Thanks for the info guys! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Back