Okanagan Perch???

I've heard stories, but personally never have in Okanagan Lake.. There used to be lots of small ones in Shannon Lake but not so many now. Lambly Lake has lots, mostly small.

Used to catch perch in Okanagan with my Grampa. We used to fish along the weeds at the extreme north end of the lake by the Indian reserve. No Jumbo Perch. Just the little guys. Wouldn't be surprised if there's jumbos in there now though. Wood lake also had a healthy population about a dozen years ago. Not sure what it's like today but again, we fished the north end of the lake in the weeds.

I've heard you catch them at the side of the bridge that kelowna is on .. Anchor or fish from shore and just use a piece of bait ..

There used to be lots of small ones in Shannon Lake but not so many now.

We used to catch them and tons of Bass ( on Shannon Lake) as well back in late 70's-early to mid 80's or so.We released almost every one as they where muddy. fun fishery as kids and good ice fishing the perch as well. Is the lack of them now due to development or over fishing? I heard they stocked it with trout in the last decade or so?? if so dose that play a roll.? Spent hundreds if not thousands of hours at that lake as a kid. Anyway I personally never caught perch in OK lake to stay on topic here.

Used to catch perch in Okanagan with my Grampa. We used to fish along the weeds at the extreme north end of the lake by the Indian reserve. No Jumbo Perch. Just the little guys. Wouldn't be surprised if there's jumbos in there now though. Wood lake also had a healthy population about a dozen years ago. Not sure what it's like today but again, we fished the north end of the lake in the weeds.

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it. So they were small perch you're saying. If there are small ones in a lake that size there must be bigger ones. I've looked and there are some shallow weedy areas in that far north area. Might have to give it a try this summer to see if there are any bigger ones around and set the rumors straight, haha!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Jumbo Perch are the bigger type while a regular perch is a different fish altogether, and was what we used to catch. I wouldn't be suprised if there's jumbos around now though. About 10 years ago this area saw a spike in people bringing the thier favorite fish from back home and sort of self stocking some of the local water bodies. Haven't heard of it happening in a long time though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to catch them and tons of Bass ( on Shannon Lake) as well back in late 70's-early to mid 80's or so.We released almost every one as they where muddy. fun fishery as kids and good ice fishing the perch as well. Is the lack of them now due to development or over fishing? I heard they stocked it with trout in the last decade or so?? if so dose that play a roll.? Spent hundreds if not thousands of hours at that lake as a kid. Anyway I personally never caught perch in OK lake to stay on topic here.

Yes they stock it with rainbows, not sure if that plays a role, but we caught some 2-3 pound trout last year, rather catch them than Perch. Bass and rainbow are the norm now, a good thing since the bass are plentiful and the odd rainbow keep the kids busy. No real need for Perch as they can be found elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Jumbo Perch are the bigger type while a regular perch is a different fish altogether, and was what we used to catch. I wouldn't be suprised if there's jumbos around now though. About 10 years ago this area saw a spike in people bringing the thier favorite fish from back home and sort of self stocking some of the local water bodies. Haven't heard of it happening in a long time though.

A Yellow perch is a yellow perch. A jumbo perch is just a big yellow perch. There is no different species. Perch often stunt if over populated or the food supply is limited and in that case a lake will just be full of small perch. But I figure the Jumbos must be there if there are little ones they come from somewhere.

I caught a few beauties out in front of the SS Sicamous in Penticton out of my tube about 8 years ago working some weed beds.

I caught a few beauties out in front of the SS Sicamous in Penticton out of my tube about 8 years ago working some weed beds.

Thanks old blue... so this is more than a rumor since you have actually personally caught some nice perch. So they must be there. I'm guessing there are some big ones hiding out in such a big lake and minimal predation or even fishing pressure from what I understand. Thanks. If I have some time this summer I'll go check out some weed beds and see what I can turn up.

There's perch in Arlington Lakes chain off hwy 33. The third lake use to have the larger ones but i targeted rainbows in the first lake. Perch in Vaseaux and Osoyoos Lake. I had seen nice size ones pulled from Yellow Lake about 10 yrs ago but there was a fish kill one winter sometime after that which whipped out all the fish but not sure if any perch survived and have rebounded or not. Could be worth a try as its stocked with brookies and rainbows if nothing else. Skaha lake has bass but never caught any perch. Have fun out there.

There's perch in Arlington Lakes chain off hwy 33. The third lake use to have the larger ones but i targeted rainbows in the first lake. Perch in Vaseaux and Osoyoos Lake. I had seen nice size ones pulled from Yellow Lake about 10 yrs ago but there was a fish kill one winter sometime after that which whipped out all the fish but not sure if any perch survived and have rebounded or not. Could be worth a try as its stocked with brookies and rainbows if nothing else. Skaha lake has bass but never caught any perch. Have fun out there.

Thanks I'll have to look into that. I know yellow lake has rebounded and people are catching some nice perch there. Thanks for the info on the other lakes.

Back