Okanagan Fishing

Bambam

Hey guys! New to the forum here and looking to figure out some stuff around the Okanagan! When Ice-Off occurs what are some the best lakes to try! After I set up my boat I'm looking to fish Okanagan Lk, Wood Lk and Kal Lk! Any Tips ?

I mostly fish Mabel Lake and my largest out of there is an 11lb Bow.. Also a 34lb Chinook a few years back! Is it close to the same?

Okanagan Lake fishing has declined in the last five years, prior to that it was decent for about 5 years for Rainbow. Kalamalka has been excellent for Kokanee for the last two years, whereas Wood Lake no, the fishery there has all but died. Fishing in the Okanagan is slow at best. Stick with Mable and Shuswap.

Lots of higher elevation lakes to try if you fly fish though

Yeah seems like that's the thing to do... Any tips on kal lake this time of year ?

I know a spot or two for big lakers in Kalamalka. Unfortunately there's no provincial launch open on Kal for another month and a half. You can launch in Wood lake and navigate under the road and through the channel if you want. There's also a public launch somewhere on the east side of the lake but no parking. It's more of a local launch. Fish north of Kekuli bay campsite, west side of the lake. Look for 80' deep and fish right on the bottom. PM me for specific directions if you would like. You can also google kalamalka lake trout and check the photos. Some really good pics. Study the background scenery and when your on the lake you will recognize the spots.

No fishing in wood lake until may I believe? Then we get a month of good fishing for large Kokanee. Good for the smoker because they're a little mossy tasting. If you've fished Mabel it's only an hôur and a bit from the Lumby end to the Arrow lakes. Different world of fishing over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks! Anyways what would you use for those lakers? Spoons? Plugs?

Small silver spoons about 2" to 3" long. Was there one day in early May and saw a fish about 20 lbs caught and released on a 2" ruby eyed wiggler. Most of what we catch if we try there is in the 15-18lb range but there some monsters in there. Arrow lakes is a better deal. More fish less peeps. Bit of a haul though. Where do you live? I'm in Lumby so only know this end of OKanagan, again she's a slow lake. They are in there though. Can have some really good action on swan lake sometimes but wouldn't eat anything out of there. You could also try the Shuswap river for whitefish anytime now. There probably already in there being it's so warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good! Will have to try it out! Is the Kokanee fishing good this time of year ?

Kekuli is open to launch. I was out there the other day. Fishing was slow. Next to non existent actually. Only located 1 bunch of fish and they wouldn't hit anything we threw at them. It'll pick up in the next little bit though. Gonna give okanagan a try in the next few days if the weather is nice.

Kekuli is open to launch. I was out there the other day. Fishing was slow. Next to non existent actually. Only located 1 bunch of fish and they wouldn't hit anything we threw at them. It'll pick up in the next little bit though. Gonna give okanagan a try in the next few days if the weather is nice.

Let me know how you do! Are you going out of ok centre?

No. I usually launch at the eldorado. It takes less time for me to run north of the bridge with the boat than to drive to ok center. I have a few places I fish south of the bridge that seem to produce fish so I just stick there. Until the water heats up, I exclusively fish the surface of OK Lake.

Yes I am looking to fish that lake too! Just bought some buck tails online from risky business bucktails! They are sweet!

Don't be afraid to try other things. I fish everything from spoons, hootchies, plugs and apexs up top. Spoons seem to be my goto these days.

Yup! Will do! Please let me know how you do!

Anybody know how the Kokanee fishing on Kal Lk would be this time of year ?

The Kalamalka launch that Clint is talking about is off Kinloch Dr, it is maybe 2-3 parking spots so if you get there early you should be ok.

Anybody know how the Kokanee fishing on Kal Lk would be this time of year ?

I would pop into Surplus Herbys in Vernon and check. My usual go to source for info on that lake has only one report of slow fishing, but why not try, weather is cooperating right now!

If your from the kootenays go to gill and gift by far the best trout tackle spot in the interior. I have heard ken craft near Vernon is good. Fishing on Okanagan lake has been a little better this year from what I have heard

Hey guys! Any places on Shuswap lake that would be capable of shore fishing ?

Email Sherm at Reelfishingadventures.net he is always willing to help and he know shuswap inside out

Back