Oil Filter

totally tyee

Running out this morning and my oil alarm goes off for the Yamaha 150hp 4stroke. Go to the back and there is oil everywhere. Pop the cowling and the oil filer is completely off. Happened about 3 minutes from the dock. Luckily I was able to shut it down before it did any damage, had about a half liter of oil left, and limped back to the dock on the kicker.

It was an after market oil filter. I had been out about a half dozen times including the day before and no issues or oil leaking. No recent work done on the engine. Brought the boat up from Michigan a couple months ago.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? Strange.........

TT

cut the filter open and see if its plugged or restricted,
only time I have seen that was in severe cold weather and too heavy of oil, filter blew right off due to extreme pressure.
I would run an OEM filter only, a lot of those aftermarket filters are junk and meant to fit a variety of engines and not necessarily yours in particular. may not have been the right fit to begin with,
for the price of a filter its not worth killing your engine
JMO

I've had an after market oil filter split on me at the seam many years ago, same thing, oil everywhere. Only high quality filters from there on......

i use aftermarket filters every day, never had a problem. You need to ensure you have the proper filter for your application as threads can be slightly different. Plus you need to make sure you tighten it adequately, and not too much.

Back