OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished north arm 2-7 pm 2 shakers saw one net out. About 6:00 dfo pulled up checked our gear very professional and polite, checked the 4 other boats out there as well , nice to see them, talked to a few guys back at miltown nobody had anything,

Yesterday I fished t-10 for about 2 hours and got nothing. On the way back I lost 2 crab traps around the north arm area with big red balloons. :( Then I fished north arm and picked up a nice 15lb around 3:30 and at 75". Probably should have stayed longer but went searching for my buoys.

Fished down south all day yesterday. Landed a spring 12 lbs early on before the tide change and the went quiet until the flood kicked in. Landed and released 2 beauty wilds about 10 lbs, one on herring and one on a big ugly. Lost what looked like another coho hit on the ugly before switching to all naked herring or chovy. Had 2 big fish on with the naked herring one came unhooked after peeling lots of line and the other one hammered the rod really hard and broke off. Landed another small just keeper size mature spring. Pretty good action. The current was really strong, made it a little tough to control boat single handed and run the gear. Most action was all on naked herring my wife and boy jigged up the night before

Nice one! Did you get the salmon in shallow Dave?

Going to fish the morning flood tomorrow till 10am.
Debating on Sandheads or T10.
Bought whole herring for the first time, could use some input on how to use; bought a jug head teaser to use with it; dummy or no dummy flasher is really what I'd like to know; and if yes to dummy, how long do I run the dummy? On that same note, was wondering how long most people are running their gear from their cable...I usually run it a good 15' from the boat, but was thinking what with the strong currents at Sandheads, is it better to be closer to the boat?
Well I'll try a live post if I see I action tomorrow . Otherwise I'll post later that day :).

Trophy, you can use a herring teaser head and simply run your leader directly to your mainline swivel, I normally set naked baits 20'-30' from the release clip.

You can also rig the herring without a teaser head by pinning the tail up at 45° with a toothpick (so the bait looks like a hockey stick, eh!) and your forward hook set by going up through the chin and out the top of the nose. This keeps the mouth shut and the belly and Gill plates from blowing out. Set your strike hook mid body as you would a teaser rig. Definitely a more technical method but a favorite if rigged correctly.
You can run a dummy or not. Wherever you have most confidence, go with that.
Good luck hope that helps.

Just crossed back across the strait from the gulf islands. EC blew the forecast again. 24 mph winds from the west crossing back over. It was pretty nasty in my 18 footer. They had forecast 10-15from the south east. It would be nice if they were right once in a while. Only 4 boats fishing the south arm when I went past. Doubt they were catching much with the wind kicking like it was.

Glad I went over to the Islands for some bottom fishing. It always seems good in Sept. My GF and I caught 2 of the biggest ling I've ever seen over there. Kept some smaller for eating, so a very productive trip. I love the islands. The largest I caught was probably well over 30 lbs. Very nice trip.

Trophy, you can use a herring teaser head and simply run your leader directly to your mainline swivel, I normally set naked baits 20'-30' from the release clip.

You can also rig the herring without a teaser head by pinning the tail up at 45° with a toothpick (so the bait looks like a hockey stick, eh!) and your forward hook set by going up through the chin and out the top of the nose. This keeps the mouth shut and the belly and Gill plates from blowing out. Set your strike hook mid body as you would a teaser rig. Definitely a more technical method but a favorite if rigged correctly.

Nicely done, thats what this forum should be about. Good hands sharing knowledge with the new bucks that are curious.

Thanks for the info Finished, much appreciated.
I've seen the tooth pick method on a tv show before, so I'm fairly certain that I'm catching what your putting down :)...ill let you all know the result, cheers

Is just me or is no one else curious on where Wildthing caught that Hali? Finished business is the only guy to ask and I see no reply ;-)

Fished the cap from 4-7 got 3 undersize and one nice 22lb white all on bait from 30 -60 on the dr.Seen most boats get into fish .

i did state 7 mile out in the middle
but thats' as much info, just like asking for prawn spots its not going to happen ....lol
but it was taken on skinny G and Gibbs flasher
here is another pic with the boats deckhand .
Lorraine20with20halibut2.jpg

i did state 7 mile out in the middle
but thats' as much info, just like asking for prawn spots its not going to happen ....lol
but it was taken on skinny G and Gibbs flasher
here is another pic with the boats deckhand .
Lorraine20with20halibut2.jpg

I'm surprised he even posted this ........ But good on YA wild thing. That's a bonus fish right there.

HT

Great water low wind seen a few decked. From Sandheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back