OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished north arm 2-6. A couple of hits and a nice 20+ lost at boat when it crossed over my down rigger. Note to self, pull up all the frigging gear when u hit a nice fish fishing solo in the wind.

anyone else see the yahoo throwing seal bombs all day at sandheads saturday? we put 3 in the box, fishin shallow green can, herring.
All our action was shallow today as well, 30 - 45 ft. Picked up an 11, 14 and 18 lb - all springs. Interestingly, all were marbled to varying degrees: one almost all white, one almost all red and one 50:50. Seemed to be a good bite for about an hour around 11 am when we picked up the first two and saw lots of other boats with fish on. Got the last one right at 2 pm. Thought about trying for our limit, but saw the squall coming from across the straight and decided to go out on a high note.

Nice that there were hardly any seals around today, we only saw one, maybe two all day. Don't think it was due to the dude chucking fireworks as he has been down there the last two weekends and the place was crawling with them. Either the transients came through or they are all in a food coma from the easy pickings!

I remember my uncles and grandpa would shoot them with shotguns when we were gillnetting
With a license commercial guys are still allowed to do that with glee. If a seal interferes with commercial gear it becomes a "nuisance seal" and is free game, with a license of course. Wish they would come up with such a license for us recreational types who pump a lot more money into the economy per fish caught that any commercial outfit does. Anyways, hoping to get out on Tuesday. Will report if anything worthwhile. No report - no fish.

I'm going to hit a 4 hour shift in the am or pm on Wednesday. Anyone worked the flood or the ebb to any success at T 10 or north arm in the past couple of days?

Fished the Sandheads from 10-3...1 hatchery coho 1 spring almost 62cm but not close enough and a couple of shakers. Anchovies fished above a kone zone flasher had the action. Had a seal following us most of the time. 5 other boats out a little chop to start then it calmed down

It's done some time ago, if your lucky u might find one or two. They are crabbing as deep as 400 feet and shallower. Hammering them before any one else has a chance. Plus FN fishes it ALL year ....... Hard. Dam sickening really. Once the commy fleet is out for two to three weeks, that area is usually done. If you hit the odd pocket of no traps, there are some around. Personally I don't bother after the commies set up there. Good luck to you.

It's done some time ago, if your lucky u might find one or two. They are crabbing as deep as 400 feet and shallower. Hammering them before any one else has a chance. Plus FN fishes it ALL year ....... Hard. Dam sickening really. Once the commy fleet is out for two to three weeks, that area is usually done. If you hit the odd pocket of no traps, there are some around. Personally I don't bother after the commies set up there. Good luck to you.
Roger that,

Fished the Sandheads from 10-3...1 hatchery coho 1 spring almost 62cm but not close enough and a couple of shakers. Anchovies fished above a kone zone flasher had the action.
Try fishing the Kone Zone in-line and use the other slot as shown to give your bait a twitch once in a while.

IMGP2954.jpg

IMGP2955.jpg

Had spoke to a guide from the west coast of Vancouver Island today and he claimed it was the worst year in over 20 years for everyone he spoke with.
Claims it was due to the commercial Alaskans getting some really high prices for their fish this year and somehow having gotten away with grossly over fishing their quotas. Don't know how much truth their is to it but he seems quite confident in what he was saying. May indeed not be happening in a big way for us like last year.

Few being caught at the cap.

Dickheads who can't operate in a crowd aren't welcome. Bout to start going ape ****.

How many boats fishing the cap area today Eastmon. Have the harbour patrol been strictly enforcing the new boundaries, or are guys still fishing near the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back