OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advice for everyone later this week when the wind dies down...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 135
Went out to SH this morning at 10ish. Planned to fish till the slack in the afternoon but with 20kt NW the water was way to rough for our little boat. What was I thinking. No other takers out there either. Back to the dock for a few cold beverages and enjoy the sunshine.

I was by no means questioning anyones truthfulness, I am refering to the general fishing conditions this year as I know them from my eperience along with my friends and charters I have paid for. That is a report as well.
This year has been an anomaly starting with the May/June hump and thrasher fishing, the fish just weren't there, we picked up the odd one here and there, but no big numbers like years past.
I started fishing HITW and bell bouy during May/June and finally my rods were lighting up. HITW has never produced for me until this year.

Then my favourite fishery, Sandheads for the past 10 years, it's like clock work August. 14th to 20th best fishing of the season. I can troll away from the other boats, do my own thing and catching fish all day.
This year is a different story, action didn't start till after the 20th and fishing still seemed slow. After some searching, it seemed fishing tight and in crazy currents was the only thing producing. Looking at the last few years of gps trails tells the story, this year has been different in every way.
Same old, same old, isn't working.

I stopped fishing bait years ago, but this year the bait cooler was brought out of storage.

Was at a family reunion yesterday and chatted with my cousin-in-law just after wrapping up his charter fishing season. He's been doing it for 40 years and they start up in the Queen Charlotte's and follow the fish using 85 foot luxury old wooden tug boats as their base. He claims everything up the coast was 2-3 weeks later this year. So if that holds true and last year was still going strong this time at Sandheads then there good be plenty of action to come yet!

This year has been an anomaly starting with the May/June hump and thrasher fishing, the fish just weren't there, we picked up the odd one here and there, but no big numbers like years past.
I started fishing HITW and bell bouy during May/June and finally my rods were lighting up. HITW has never produced for me until this year.

Then my favourite fishery, Sandheads for the past 10 years, it's like clock work August. 14th to 20th best fishing of the season. I can troll away from the other boats, do my own thing and catching fish all day.
This year is a different story, action didn't start till after the 20th and fishing still seemed slow. After some searching, it seemed fishing tight and in crazy currents was the only thing producing. Looking at the last few years of gps trails tells the story, this year has been different in every way.

I stopped fishing bait years ago, but this year the bait cooler was brought out of storage.

Yup it was not on fire yesterday I promise and I didn't catch all this in under 3 hours

Absolute masterful work! guess we're going to your place for the BBQ! What was your secret yesterday in that wind storm! were u using bait? how did you keep a constant roll? you are doing something right out there!

Sending you a p.m.

Waters: Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth).

Management measure: Effective 00:01 hours, Monday, September 19 until 23:59
hours Saturday, December 31, 2016:

- The daily limit for chinook salmon is two (2) with a minimum size limit of 62
cm.
- The daily limit for pink salmon is four (4).
- The daily limit for chum salmon is four (4).
- You may not retain sockeye salmon.
- You may not retain coho salmon, except in that portion of Subarea 29-10 that
lies easterly of a line from Gower Point to the Tango 10 light Buoy, then to
the northern tip of Lulu Island where you may retain two (2) hatchery coho per
day.

Variation Order Number: 2016-407

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters of British
Columbia.

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and
coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Anglers are advised to check http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-
eng.html for fishing closures and other recreational fishing information.

Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences can be purchased via any computer connected
to the internet at https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm
or by using Google search key words "Recfish Licence".

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336 or the British Columbia's toll-free RAPP line (Report All
Poachers and Polluters) at 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barbara Mueller, Resource Manager (Fraser River) - Delta (604)666-2370

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0984
Sent September 13, 2016 at 1352

Attempted to fish T10 on Monday. Between the beam sea and strong Northwesterly, decided to try elsewhere. Fished Tunstall Bay then down to Hutt Island. No takers.

Going to tackle Sandheads this week, and welcome suggestions. Have been mixing it up with bait, depths, speed, however not very successful. Fishing on the flood tide from low tide or before.

Appreciate suggestions as to bait/lures, trolling/mooching, presentation speed & depth.

Thanks in advance.

Attempted to fish T10 on Monday. Between the beam sea and strong Northwesterly, decided to try elsewhere. Fished Tunstall Bay then down to Hutt Island. No takers.

Going to tackle Sandheads this week, and welcome suggestions. Have been mixing it up with bait, depths, speed, however not very successful. Fishing on the flood tide from low tide or before.

Appreciate suggestions as to bait/lures, trolling/mooching, presentation speed & depth.

Thanks in advance.

I would work the south arm to cap area. Any where in between could be good . T 10 bell, North arm but I think cap mouth or Fraser mouth are best. I like bait and hootchy fished 80 to 30 feet deep with the rigger cable at a 30 to 45 degree angle. I fish my flasher rod length to the release clip. Low to high tide is a good bet. Most importantly be prepared to put in lots of time. So many people expect to go out and slay it within an hour or two. Be prepared to put at least 5hrs in. The guides and people who are killing it out there are putting a lot of time and effort in. Can be epic locally when the bite comes on.

A bit late but fished the Cap on Monday morning for the first 3 hours of the flood. Not a sniff from a salmon for us but we did see a couple from other boats. Given the fleet out there it was not good fishing.

Has anyone been seeing the harrison whites show up yet off the Fraser? They typically show up a few weeks ago but any springs I have caught off sandheads/T10 have been reds. I haven't fished the Fraser mouth in 2 weeks so hopefully others are seeing whites by now. thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back