OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense to Fishing Solo or others, but the fishing on other boats that I saw yesterday was not on fire. We caught two decent fish, one spring one coho and some smaller ones.

To me when you can look around you in a crowd and see multiple boats with fish on at the same time the fishing is hot. When you are getting double headers of sizable Chinook, I'd say the fishing is "on fire". I guess I'm just older, and younger people's idea of what's "on fire" now is lot different than it used to be.

Personally I haven't seen a day on the water anywhere locally this season that I would categorize as on fire. When I see a half dozen boats at the same time all with fish on that's hot fishing. Seeing a half dozen boats with the nets out during a full days fishing isn't all that hot in my book. I saw one Grady yesterday that hooked up more than once during the day and seemed to be doing well. Most boats we asked had nothing, a wild released, or maybe the odd guy caught a spring that we talked to. As I've stated before, some boats may be doing well out there, but the fleet average is not that great from what I've seen. I guess that's just my opinion because as I've stated without an actual creel census report it's all just subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

I'm glad for the guys that have been doing well individually, but I think the average guy is still having sub par fishing this season overall. Congrats to the guys doing well, but just because your boat did great does not mean the fishing is great. You need to go by the overall catch rate of the boats around you to realistically say fishing is "on fire"

Just my opinion

The old story... 10% of the boats catching 90% of the fish.

When the bite is on, you need to capitalize. Yesterday morning the bite was on fire.
Even when the bite slowed we still saw fish being landed around us.

Tubbed out in couple hours biggest was 27lbs QUOTE="TheBigGuy, post: 803717, member: 11"]No offense to Fishing Solo or others, but the fishing on other boats that I saw yesterday was not on fire. Wecaught two decent fish, one spring one coho and some smaller ones.[/QUOTE]​
To me when you can look around you in a crowd and see multiple boats with fish on at the same time the fishing is hot. When you are getting double headers of sizable Chinook, I'd say the fishing is "on fire". I guess I'm just older, and younger people's idea of what's "on fire" now is lot different than it used to be.

Personally I haven't seen a day on the water anywhere locally this season that I would categorize as on fire. When I see a half dozen boats at the same time all with fish on that's hot fishing. Seeing a half dozen boats with the nets out during a full days fishing isn't all that hot in my book. I saw one Grady yesterday that hooked up more than once during the day and seemed to be doing well. Most boats we asked had nothing, a wild released, or maybe the odd guy caught a spring that we talked to. As I've stated before, some boats may be doing well out there, but the fleet average is not that great from what I've seen. I guess that's just my opinion because as I've stated without an actual creel census report it's all just subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

I'm glad for the guys that have been doing well individually, but I think the average guy is still having sub par fishing this season overall. Congrats to the guys doing well, but just because your boat did great does not mean the fishing is great. You need to go by the overall catch rate of the boats around you to realistically say fishing is "on fire"

Just my opinion

I'm not looking to argue, but I've fished the chuck for well over 40 years. I have yet to see "on fire" fishing anywhere locally this season.

I recently returned from Barkley Sound. I would say the fishing there was very easy and would classify that fishing as very good. I fished at a very relaxed pace getting up late and still had no problems getting springs every day. I only had one double on springs, but I was not fishing hard. I was fishing with my girlfriend (who's not an experienced fisher) and was only running two lines. If I was with another experienced fisher running four lines and fishing seriously, I probably would have seen numerous doubles.

The fishing over there was very good, but not on fire by any means. Any individual can do well on any single day that does not mean fishing is on fire. A couple days back someone posted the annual firemans derby was held with fifty boats in the derby. The post said only 4 fish were weighed in for the entire derby. Either all those firemen in the derby are lousy fishermen, or perhaps the fishing overall isn't as red hot, or on fire as some seem to believe. The derby was held in perfect weather, so conditions weren't a limiting factor.

I'm not saying fishing at the south arm is a waste of time, I'm just saying in my estimation it's far from on fire either.

I've yet to see multiple fish on at the same time at any location I've fished this year. That to me is the primary indicator of "hot" fishing. My idea of what is hot fishing is just differs from others I guess.

Well there's only two guys here that use the words "on fire" big guy. One of em lives on his boat at sandheads lol. I think a better term would be "bites on" but still nice to hear fish coming strong in september. Harrison and vedder whites aren't in the rivers yet (I checked myself yesterday) so more to come

Was at ambleside beach this afternoon, saw the hovercraft weaving in/out of the boats doing it tough in the chop.
Looks like he might have left a few guys a bit wet with the spray he was putting out. Lol

I'm not looking to argue, but I've fished the chuck for well over 40 years. I have yet to see "on fire" fishing anywhere locally this season.

I recently returned from Barkley Sound. I would say the fishing there was very easy and would classify that fishing as very good. I fished at a very relaxed pace getting up late and still had no problems getting springs every day. I only had one double on springs, but I was not fishing hard. I was fishing with my girlfriend (who's not an experienced fisher) and was only running two lines. If I was with another experienced fisher running four lines and fishing seriously, I probably would have seen numerous doubles.

The fishing over there was very good, but not on fire by any means. Any individual can do well on any single day that does not mean fishing is on fire. A couple days back someone posted the annual firemans derby was held with fifty boats in the derby. The post said only 4 fish were weighed in for the entire derby. Either all those firemen in the derby are lousy fishermen, or perhaps the fishing overall isn't as red hot, or on fire as some seem to believe. The derby was held in perfect weather, so conditions weren't a limiting factor.

I'm not saying fishing at the south arm is a waste of time, I'm just saying in my estimation it's far from on fire either.

I've yet to see multiple fish on at the same time at any location I've fished this year. That to me is the primary indicator of "hot" fishing. My idea of what is hot fishing is just differs from others I guess.
I don't know how you didn't see mu

That derby pretty much tells the story, I suppose if you have only fished local the past 20 years or so catching a couple of fish in one day is good. We used to go out at 7a.m. and be on our way home with 16 sox and limit of springs by 9 am. Now guys start at 6 am and are out till nightime trying to catch different tides.

To me on fire is people limiting out and heading home. Have not seen many people if any doing that. I have seen many times like two or 3 boats hook up but statistically speaking when 50+ boats are out that's not much. The most I've seen at the launch is a group for 4 with 3 fish. If this is what on fire has come down to then its greeting pretty sad. I've been out a lot and have had horrible luck this year. Been out 10+ times and one fish. So I think your should consider your self pretty lucky if your getting fish this year.

Had 8 fish to the boat yesterday in hour and a half maybe some of you guys need to try different tackle depths methods tacks etc. I agree fishing isn't what it was 20 years ago when anybody could throw any gear over and catch something. The days of lazy fisherman and pure luck are long gone

Well, everybodys opinions are right on here...because we are all speaking to our own experiences. As for this fall, being on fire has been a limited experience to just a few people.

What we should all be doing on here, rather than debating definition and reference #itsonfire, we should be looking forward to mid or end of the week when it really does get on fire out there for Harrison fish....not Cap fish.

I am going to work on making sure that I am standing at the wicket cashing in when it does finally light up...as in double digits for everyone when they show at Sandheads

Last edited:
Not sure its "it on fire" but, one thing I know, being able to fish in a city of several million people a couple of miles from your house and actually catch decent fish is not the norm any place on earth. Try dropping your lines 5 minutes out of LA or New York or any other major capital on the this earth. I got a 15 lb spring a week ago 5 KM from my house. That is on fire for me.....(oh and a 10 lber yesterday at the north arm). Enjoy it. Its as "on fire as it gets today".

But seriously though, this has been the slowest fire seasons in BC in years.

Im out on a Bayliner 245 cruiser with manuals. I've been out two or three days a week all season and have had a couple three fish days. Many more no fish days. That 27lber I posted above was at the bell Wednesday night. Im up in Osoyoos now wishing I was home. I remember 4and 5 years ago jigging off my 18' Maxum bowrider my uncles and I used to limit out every day we went out. THAT was on fire! Best of luck to all, none uf us can complain about the privileged lives we all have.

Yeah so I guess 4 springs and 2 hatch hos and releasing some wild and smaller springs in under 3 hours isn't on fire lol.

I think you're taking what I'm trying to say rather personally. I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent. Obviously you personally have been doing very well. The fishing for you personally would definitely qualify as "on fire". The fleet as a whole fishing either of the Cap or the Fraser has probably seen generally lack luster results.

I'm not doubting you and some others have been doing very well. If you're out there very regularly you get far more tuned in to what is working than the average weekend fisherman. I believe you, I'm sure your having great results. It makes me extremely happy that you are. I guess this topic just highlights how everyone's expectations, and how we define hot fishing is different. I'm sorry if you felt I was belittling your fishing prowess, far from it. Obviously you are slaying them out there, I just wish more guys were sharing your experience. All the best to you, and I hope your fishing continues to be on fire.

So... Just have to say this. Land 3-4 springs in an 1.5 hrs is a good bite. Went 2-7 when they were biting soft.

Last year a buddy and I landed 35 springs in 3 days on the west coast not including all the hits and missed fished. Now that's "ON FIRE". Lol

Cheers, Rob.

Been a weird year with the warm water locally. I think a lot of fish didn't stage and headed straight up the Fraser. Same as the west coast where fish would come in but when they did they shot straight for the rivers. Short bites for an hour or 2 and then tough fishing. Had to put in long days to get our springs.

when the fire is on fire for anyone off the Fraser this fall...I want you to have this song cranked.....and we'll all come flying up and drop lines.... Some lucky guy will be DLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back