OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 hours in the mayhem at the Cap this aft... saw 2 nets and a dogfish. Caught 2 shakers. The highlight was a Sewells rental boat with no downriggers / aka 'fishing gear distribution system' trolled by us and wrapped around out downrigger line. Brought the downrigger up with a brand new flasher and a spoon - tiny shaker on the spoon :) If it was your gear that we got, you should really pinch your barbs.

4 hours in the mayhem at the Cap this aft... saw 2 nets and a dogfish. Caught 2 shakers. The highlight was a Sewells rental boat with no downriggers / aka 'fishing gear distribution system' trolled by us and wrapped around out downrigger line. Brought the downrigger up with a brand new flasher and a spoon - tiny shaker on the spoon :) If it was your gear that we got, you should really pinch your barbs.

Good one

Well we landed three nice wild cohos. All healthy and plump. All at 65' on anchovies. No hatch fish or Springs for us today. Consolation was a few crabs for dinner.

We had a decent day at Sandheads, probably one of the better days so far this year (which isn't saying too much). Dropped lines at 8 am and before I could get the second line down the Mrs had one on. Unfortunately lost it when the flasher broke the surface. About half an hour later I was checking my side (anchovy above dummy flasher) and had one take it on the way up. Didn't feel like much at first and we kept the other rod down. Then the fish broke the surface with a big roll and headed for bottom followed by me yelling "Clear the gear!"

Had a good battle for the next 10 - 15 minutes and the first time we get it up near the boat 250 lbs of seal shows up, grabs my fish by the tale and goes for a runner. Unfortunately for Mr Seal, I wasn't going to let him get away so easy with one of the few decent fish I've had this year, so told the Admiral to grab the helm and chase that MF-er down! My theory being that if we stayed on top of him we could keep him under and/or whack him with the boat/net when he came up to catch his breath and maybe get our fish back. Finally after 30 minutes going back and forth over hells half acre, I see the leader break the surface next to the boat. Just as the Mrs grabs the net and gets ready to take a big swing, fish pops up - sans seal - and in to the net it goes while our nemesis watches in disappointment, huffing and puffing, from about 20 ft away. 22 lb white, and the best part was that there wasn't a scratch or tooth mark on the fish! Have to give credit to my better half for the awesome driving and netting, I may have had the easy job.

Had a few other long line releases and hits that didn't stick, but came home satisfied after our epic battle. Saw quite a few nets out through the day, pretty consistent really although most looked like either jack springs or coho. Saw at least five other boats get sealed, some with decent size fish on. All our action was between 45 and 70 ft.

PS, on the way back in saw the Port Authority keeping a close watch over the boats at the Cap which were all well away from shipping channel and in the confines of the new fishing permitted zone discussed elsewhere on the forum. Chatting to some other boats back at the dock, sounds like they were doing the rounds and making everyone aware of the new regs coming into effect in a couple days.

Great day at Sandheads today! The day started with loosing one at the boat, bummer. Then we picked up a big wild Coho witch was promptly released shortly after that we got a beautiful 25 pound White spring.
Followed by 12 pound White. And a couple of shakers just for fun. We even managed to hook the girls in the DFO boat. True but Funny story there. All fish taken on Anchovies at 40-70 feet. Mr Seal even tried to snag our fish while it was beside the boat in the landing net. But we won!

We had a decent day at Sandheads, probably one of the better days so far this year (which isn't saying too much). Dropped lines at 8 am and before I could get the second line down the Mrs had one on. Unfortunately lost it when the flasher broke the surface. About half an hour later I was checking my side (anchovy above dummy flasher) and had one take it on the way up. Didn't feel like much at first and we kept the other rod down. Then the fish broke the surface with a big roll and headed for bottom followed by me yelling "Clear the gear!"

Had a good battle for the next 10 - 15 minutes and the first time we get it up near the boat 250 lbs of seal shows up, grabs my fish by the tale and goes for a runner. Unfortunately for Mr Seal, I wasn't going to let him get away so easy with one of the few decent fish I've had this year, so told the Admiral to grab the helm and chase that MF-er down! My theory being that if we stayed on top of him we could keep him under and/or whack him with the boat/net when he came up to catch his breath and maybe get our fish back. Finally after 30 minutes going back and forth over hells half acre, I see the leader break the surface next to the boat. Just as the Mrs grabs the net and gets ready to take a big swing, fish pops up - sans seal - and in to the net it goes while our nemesis watches in disappointment, huffing and puffing, from about 20 ft away. 22 lb white, and the best part was that there wasn't a scratch or tooth mark on the fish! Have to give credit to my better half for the awesome driving and netting, I may have had the easy job.

Had a few other long line releases and hits that didn't stick, but came home satisfied after our epic battle. Saw quite a few nets out through the day, pretty consistent really although most looked like either jack springs or coho. Saw at least five other boats get sealed, some with decent size fish on. All our action was between 45 and 70 ft.

PS, on the way back in saw the Port Authority keeping a close watch over the boats at the Cap which were all well away from shipping channel and in the confines of the new fishing permitted zone discussed elsewhere on the forum. Chatting to some other boats back at the dock, sounds like they were doing the rounds and making everyone aware of the new regs coming into effect in a couple days.

Awesome story, I'm sure others weren't so lucky to get their fish back from snuffy today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 135
What web cam is that?

I agree, if that is a web cam, what is it? I'd love to add it to my list!

Just to share incase some haven't seen these:

Here is one I use to check conditions. Not close to the cap mouth tho, its at Jericho Sailing Centre:
http://jsca.bc.ca/services/streamcam-ptz/

Telemark Systems is somewhat handy, shot looking over the Burrard Bridge into English Bay
http://www.katkam.ca/large.aspx

View of English Bay from the south side further west than Jerich Sailing Centre:
http://www.kiteboardbc.com/webcam/jericho/

Shot from the other side of the bay (North Shore)
http://www.kiteboardbc.com/webcam/westvan/

Just a thought on cams... when i was heavy into kiteboarding and the community we did a few drives to raise funds for web cams. We purchased two really good cams, web controls with zoom and pan, good quality etc and we approached people who lived somewhere with a good view of our kite beaches and worked to make a deal with them where we paid their internet fees if they let us put a cam on their house. We also would ensure their property or their neighbors where never in the shot, for privacy. We had one out in Boundary Bay and another at the Port in Squamish. Just thought i would drop the idea in case someone thought it was worth pursuing.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
What web cam is that?

Not a webcam sadly... A pic I took this morning while drinking a Starbuck's Coffee at Prospect Point

No offense to Fishing Solo or others, but the fishing on other boats that I saw yesterday was not on fire. We caught two decent fish, one spring one coho and some smaller ones.

To me when you can look around you in a crowd and see multiple boats with fish on at the same time the fishing is hot. When you are getting double headers of sizable Chinook, I'd say the fishing is "on fire". I guess I'm just older, and younger people's idea of what's "on fire" now is lot different than it used to be.

Personally I haven't seen a day on the water anywhere locally this season that I would categorize as on fire. When I see a half dozen boats at the same time all with fish on that's hot fishing. Seeing a half dozen boats with the nets out during a full days fishing isn't all that hot in my book. I saw one Grady yesterday that hooked up more than once during the day and seemed to be doing well. Most boats we asked had nothing, a wild released, or maybe the odd guy caught a spring that we talked to. As I've stated before, some boats may be doing well out there, but the fleet average is not that great from what I've seen. I guess that's just my opinion because as I've stated without an actual creel census report it's all just subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

I'm glad for the guys that have been doing well individually, but I think the average guy is still having sub par fishing this season overall. Congrats to the guys doing well, but just because your boat did great does not mean the fishing is great. You need to go by the overall catch rate of the boats around you to realistically say fishing is "on fire"

Just my opinion

Hi Big Guy... I agree with most of your post. However, depending on the location and day and anglers it depends. However, there are many anglers out there who regularly underperform.... Despite fishing around other boats which are catching regularly. As in like "fish every few minutes".

I've learned that sometimes the best thing to do is "do your own thing and make your own fishing report by fishing how you would like to fish. A few years ago us guides were hooking fish fast and furious... And waiting on the bite when it came on or going to where the fish were... Yet the other boats were not doing well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back