OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canso i was nailing them last night ive been finding the flood tide a few hours away from high tide to high tide is the ticket!!when the bite was on last night there was 6 boats out i find most people dont fish the right tides. Im gonna get out tomorrow hopefully for a bit also.also all my fish except one or two where caught 70 feet or under max depth on dr was richard petty 43 lol

Fished Saturday, Sunday and Monday at the sandheads putting in an average of 10 hours each day. 1 small hatchery coho, Couple bigger wild coho and a couple hits that didn't stick. Few ppl seem to be getting them but I haven't had a hot day out there for a few weeks. Hopefully tomorrow after work will be the ticket!

Our strategy was to fish away from the pack and away from the seal orgy. We caught all but one of our fish well away from other boats. like I say... Out in the deeper water... My sounder would mark...and it was fish on in a half minute... If that!! Planning to head out again this afternoon. See you down there! Was cleaning and vacusealing for a while..even dad was excited and that was the best part.

To rough for my liking trying to get out to the sandheads right now in my buddies boat. Turned around and headed back to steveston.

To rough for my liking trying to get out to the sandheads right now in my buddies boat. Turned around and headed back to steveston.

Too bad, sorry to hear that. How big was your buddies boat. Says the wind is 15mph on fish weather app right now, so I guess it's getting a little snotty for a smaller boat. Bad luck.

Fought seals all day, Tried to get away but they were on me. Only 10 or so boats out, each boat must of had a few seals following.
A few jacks, a couple more fish under 10lbs taken by seals. fished 7-3pm.
Didn't see any nets or crazy action.

After a good battle, I thought I was getting my fish.

Nope, just a fish face. Probably under anyways

Pulled out a couple 14lb'ers and an 18lb white from Sandheads over the weekend. All of our action was also out of the pack about a half mile north of the green can and along the 90-120ft contour, usually around a tideline. All fish hit around mid-day and on anchovy's at 50-55 ft on the dr. We had one massive hit in 200ft that was about a mile north, but did not stick. Things died down on Sunday late afternoon so we bailed and hit Point Grey .... fished it down to the bell and hit a 10lb red at 85ft on dr in 120feet of water; nice way to end the weekend.

Too bad, sorry to hear that. How big was your buddies boat. Says the wind is 15mph on fish weather app right now, so I guess it's getting a little snotty for a smaller boat. Bad luck.

Only 14.5 ft. I'll be taking my boat out Sunday I think. Probably woulda been better off doing that today.

Fought seals all day, Tried to get away but they were on me.

After a good battle, I thought I was getting my fish.

Nope, just a fish face. Probably under anyways

I think I've come up with a good way to teach the fur bags a lesson. Any mangled up fish carcass your left with you thread it though with 200lb mono. At the end attach a suitably large like 16/0 hook. Troll the carcass on the surface attached directly to your Downrigger line (no weight) . Game on.

:)

I think I've come up with a good way to teach the fur bags a lesson. Any mangled up fish carcass your left with you thread it though with 200lb mono. At the end attach a suitably large like 16/0 hook. Troll the carcass on the surface attached directly to your Downrigger line (no weight) . Game on.

:)
You will get in very serious trouble if you get caught doing that!! Just Sayin!!

image.jpeg Fished Sandheads today from 8am-~3pm. Got one about 9lbs. Lost another in the low 20's - had it to the boat & then it took a long run - not sure if it spit the hook or was sealed. Had another one that didn't stick. Seals were on us all day as well. Killer whales arrived just after 3pm. Really cool show. Hooked and released an undersized about 3-4 pounds while the whales were rolling around us - we were really surprised to have any salmon hit the line with the number of whales that were there. Whales were flipping on their backs and slapping their tails on the surface - cool way to end the day.

I cannot believe the problems you guys are having with seals. Ive never been sealed. Kinda lucky living around Campbell River. Big red neck population. Flood tides always seem to bring in a lot of floaters. Not that I condone that kind of thing.

Put in a lot of time at Sandheads under rewarded.Last year had me dreaming. Haven't had bigger fish anywhere, still believe my biggest is yet to come.

Last year, we lost 7 fish to seals over a 2 day period at Sandheads. We ended up with 6 fish in the boat over the same period so we were running <50% success rate. On days like today, there were so many seals around it was hard to envision how we could possibly get a salmon to the boat. We have been forcing the fish rather than properly playing it with the hope of getting a net on it before it gets grabbed by a seal. That's probably why we lost the larger fish today. All that said, we know there really isn't anything we can do about it - we are resigned to giving up a few fish to seals every trip in order to get a few into the boat. We have been sealed in other areas of the coast the odd time over the years but nothing close to the regular occurrence we experience in Vancouver. We seem to have an unusually robust local seal population compared to other areas of the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back