OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now back to the fishing reports......out today at Sandheads, fished 6 am-2pm. Chovies, hoochies and spoons, no luck for us.
Although all those dogfish really enjoyed the chovies.
We didn't see any other boats around us hooking up either.
Wind and weather were good, unfortunately the salmon weren't cooperating.

Thanks for a fishing report.

These natives clean the fish and pack them in ice then deliver to your door, the poachers up the river have them sitting in garbage cans for a day or longer and don't even clean them. The natives did really well so far.
Ya packed in ice they shovelled from the closest Ice arena, complete with spit and blood from the hockey game the night before.

I'm pretty sure that it's got a lot to do with the closing of the natives openings in the lower Fraser. Genius DFO has exercised "special management actions" to treat all stakeholders equally. From the FNs perspective, if we can't fish, sporties shouldn't fish either!! All the incidental sockeye catch in the tidal is BS as there's more damage to the stocks from 6 weeks of FNs netting the entire River. But probably it should be discussed in another thread.... Sigh...

Yes you are correct. Before I got into ocean fishing I use to be a Fraser river guy. (Haven't looked back) I use to fish the Fraser with a DFO buddy for a few years. Now saying that if the river is open to recreational fishing then the FN folks can fish how ever they want. The DFO can only control the nets if the river is closed.

As for sockeye mortality rates they did a study a few years back at I think it was Peg Leg bar and found the the mortality of catch and release sockeye was very low. something like 2 or 3%. They caught a bunch, put them in pens, tagged them to see how survived heading up river.

Now as for warm low water conditions, the DFO played that for card years and I see are starting to bring it in again. I spent the time and did the research and in 2006 was the lowest and warmest water conditions in the Fraser in years. Well 4 years later in 2010 was the largest sockeye run in 50 years.

Now its my opinion but maybe the fish need the warm water to get them to turn and spawn quicker before they die of disease or parasites.

Research always pay off... All the DFO needs to say is low numbers of a certain run and they can justify shutting it down... (There's a little help for them)

One last thing. There has been quite a few fish go up the Fraser but no where close to a good year. When you look at test nets understand what the "effort" means. The DFO can make it look like there is no fish or a lot more that there is.... lol. You have to look a previous years to compare.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks for people that have been getting out and posting. I'm shooting for tomorrow afternoon and or Friday.

Just got back from up the coast. Fished Upwood Pt last weekend an landed 2 coho 2 spring in just under an hour. 95' all on spoons. Lost 1 big boy at the boat. Maybe the fish are north still...

Sandheads, 140' water riggers at 50. Tom Mack spoon, caught 4 landed one.

Awesome, glad to hear you got into some. I've been thinking of using the smaller size Tom Mac spoons. I was thinking about using the 3" size in a half & half. With all the talk of the small bait on the west coast I was thinking they might be used to the smaller size forage this season. I'm an old school fisher quite often, so I still have a good assortment of Tom Mack's. You can't beat the old metal at times. I was thinking of washing my old Canadian Wonder spoons as well.

Glad to hear you had a good day out there. Bravo

Last edited:
And now back to the fishing reports......out today at Sandheads, fished 6 am-2pm. Chovies, hoochies and spoons, no luck for us.
Although all those dogfish really enjoyed the chovies.
We didn't see any other boats around us hooking up either.
Wind and weather were good, unfortunately the salmon weren't cooperating.
We where also out yesterday from 700 to 500 at sandheads and T10
Must of caught 15 dog fish with one undersized
No luck for us

Heading out tomorrow AM and will be fishing bell down to T10. Will give a report tomorrow aft when back. Trying jughead nano squirts, bait and will throw down some spoons down as well. I have a lot of old Tom Mack spoons about 2-1/2" - 3-1/2" long so will bring em too. Obviously reports haven't been great so far, but you have to think the fish will show up at some point. There have been decent reports from across the Straight - maybe they are just waiting for a hot day like today to rip across to our side - haha.

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0838-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Area 29 - Fraser River Mouth: Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 - Immediate Closure of all Salmon Fishing

Effective dates: 23:59 hours on Thursday, August 11, 2016 until further
notice.

Waters: Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth).

Management Measure: Fishing for salmon is not permitted.

Current run size estimates of Fraser River Summer Run sockeye salmon have
resulted in no allowable harvest and a conservation concern. The Department's
first priority is to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the
spawning grounds. The Department will manage all fisheries to minimize sockeye
impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social
and ceremonial purposes.

The Department will continue to review sockeye stock status information on a
regular basis to help inform future fisheries management decisions and fishing
opportunities. Updated information will be announced by fishery notice.

Variation Order: 2016-365

[QUOTE=". I have a lot of old Tom Mack spoons about 2-1/2" - 3-1/2".[/QUOTE]

Would part with any? Lol

Awesome, glad to hear you got into some. I've been thinking of using the smaller size Tom Mac spoons. I was thinking about using the 3" size in a half & half. With all the talk of the small bait on the west coast I was thinking they might be used to the smaller size forage this season. I'm an old school fisher quite often, so I still have a good assortment of Tom Mack's. You can't beat the old metal at times. I was thinking of washing my old Canadian Wonder spoons as well.

Glad to hear you had a good day out there. Bravo

New or washed /polished spoons give lots of flash. But old ones that have blemishes give sparkle ❇

We where also out yesterday from 700 to 500 at sandheads and T10
Must of caught 15 dog fish with one undersized
No luck for us

Only one dog for me on Sunday. Maybe speed up .5mph. Dog fish are slow/ lazy and are more opportunist feeders. Imho

Check the regs. I think the banana just got shut down again effective midnight tonite.

Fishing Bell down to T10 would only put u in the Banana if you were fishing in like 50' or less water. I haven't seen many boats do that. Have you had much luck fishing in shallow depths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back