OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Guy, please read up on sockeye mortality and the study's that have been done. As for the water temp we are actually doing pretty good, 1 degree above normal. Any other facts you think you know?

Dude I wasn't slagging the guys fishing on the river. I don't know why you took such offense to what I said. It is simply a statement of fact. Water temperatures in the river are generally higher than in the Ocean. Regardless if the river temps are only a degree above normal ATM. We haven't hit a real heat wave yet. When we do that will obviously place severe stress on Sockeye that are going upriver if they are caught. I'm sorry your fishing opportunities have been shut down, but that's not my fault. Don't get all bent out of shape at me. If you'd like to come out for a day of fishing on the ocean I'd be happy to take you. I can tell from your posts you are a hard core Salmon fisher, and I'm sorry your favorite thing has been taken away from you. I feel for you.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you'd like to go fishing on the ocean. Sorry for your loss, bro.

"The Department will manage all fisheries to minimize sockeye
impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social
and ceremonial purposes."

Fair call I guess, but they left out "..and extra income from sales."

I jammed out today after reading latest reports and now they have closed the banana, my neighbour and friends have all bought "ceremonial" from natives. My mom bought them at $10 a fish and some are close to 8 lbs.

Big guy thanks. But am on the ocean if Im not on the rivers!!!

That is good. I am glad you have not been totally shut out. I can tell that Salmon fishing is one of your greatest passions in life from your posts. These are trying times for sports fishers. I'm sorry your opportunities have been shut down in your back yard, (so to speak, as I assume you live in the valley). Glad you can get access to the ocean. Good luck out there, and the offer still stands if you'd like to go out for the day.

I jammed out today after reading latest reports and now they have closed the banana, my neighbour and friends have all bought "ceremonial" from natives. My mom bought them at $10 a fish and some are close to 8 lbs.

Drives me insane!

Typical PC ********, and people wonder why guys like Trump are gaining in popularity.

Can someone please clarify what you guys mean when you refer to the Banna. I use this site for the fishing areas http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/map-carte-eng.asp along with the other regs and cleary don't see it. I have been told that you can't fish T10 yet when you chart it its clearly in 29-3 not 29-10. Most of all 29-10 is in like 40 feet or water or less so not sure why someone would fish it with a rigger. I have also been told that you have to fish north of a line drawn from QA to bell yet don't see it on this Map at all. When you chart 29-10 it barely comes out past the point and certainly does not make it all the way to QA. Could you guys please help i don't want to fish in a closed area.

FM, having been on the Fraser pretty much everyday bar fishing except for last Friday. I can tell that you have no idea what you are talking about in terms of people flossing. 95% of the people out there are bar fishing. But please keep informing us on something you have not seen first hand. How many days have you been above Mission since the salmon opening!
Dude! You were not at Hope bar or Jones bar! Lol

Sorry I don't have the regs in front of me. It has been referred to as the banana for 25 years because of the shape of all the management units when grouped together off the Fraser River mouth. Basically the management units off the river mouth are closed now. Go to the fisheries website and you will see where you are supposed to fish. Generally it is not a huge impact not being allowed inside the boundaries, but it is nice not too have the restrictions in place when fishing that area.

Seen an Asian dude at army and navy last week buying a box of bouncing Betty's and a spool of 200 ib leader line... The guys workin there gave him ****. Not racist to Asian people but they sure do like to bottom bounce. The fishing in BC this year is a ****** joke.

Wiseguy, the numbers you saw for those bars are **** all.
Tockeyetalmon, most of those people who are flossing are of that race
Lol!!!!

FM, having been on the Fraser pretty much everyday bar fishing except for last Friday. I can tell that you have no idea what you are talking about in terms of people flossing. 95% of the people out there are bar fishing. But please keep informing us on something you have not seen first hand. How many days have you been above Mission since the salmon opening? Up until last night there was set nets and drift Nets going on non stop. Pretty selective lol....

Big Guy, please read up on sockeye mortality and the study's that have been done. As for the water temp we are actually doing pretty good, 1 degree above normal. Any other facts you think you know?
https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/files/FraserSockeyeHookReleaseMortality08FSWP175.pdf

With the Fraser being almost 25% below normal it's an absolute slaughterhouse for the drift sets that are being done around the choke points in Agassiz, chilliwack and Hope. The set nets are doing very very well to. Because of the low water. Almost all of our springs this last week have had net marks and burns on them. Worrying about sockeye mortality from guys flossing? Give your head a shake.

I have no problem not fishing with this closure, but only if it's for conservation and actually trying to help these stocks that are already barely hanging on. But by saying that FN can still target springs by nets regardless of the grid size is complete ********. We are very very close to having some of these stocks go extinct

Just 2cnts from someone who is on the Fraser daily.

Oh....and in the chuck on Friday we got 4 socks while targeting springs. Maybe they should close down Vancouver harbour as well!!!

Lota of evidence indicated on other forums about flossers above the Lower Fraser boundary. I don't have to see it to know what is happening when I read all about it elsewhere and hear about it from people who observe it first hand... Often... And yes.... Right. Ow... Daily... ...and it's being moderated by freshwater enthusiasts and they don't challenge the statements being made by other members.

The number of "anglers" on the Fraser is much more impactful on any Fraser stocks than all of the saltwater intercepts combined. Pretty funny when freshwater "anglers" as they call themselves claim they have no impact on anything when there are several thousand rods if not tens of thousands on the Fraser and some of it's tributaries on any given day vs. 400 on a busy busy day in the Chuck off the Fraser mouth. Pretty hilarious when I see a bar with 40 guys in it and that continues on and on and on... And never mind the boats... etc etc

They are more than welcome to close down the harbour or anywhere else they determine sockeye intercepts to be a significant problem in the chuck...... I have no problem spending the time or money to go fish elsewhere....while the restrictions are in place. Lots of places to fish! as opposed to playing hide and go seek in a few dozen square miles of water off the Fraser Mouth enticing a non feeding fish to strike trolled gear in a August, September and October terminal fishery.

I know alot about the Fraser's individual stock issues.

As for jumping on Big Guy... Back off on that one... Because he is right... Any fish, including Sockeye, are more succeptible to stress in a river during their upstream migrations.

While we both agree that a race based or user group fishery has serious issues, for the tens of thousands of river anglers who observe all the issues on a frequent basis... There's more they could be doing. But, we'll save that for another thread.

Sorry I don't have the regs in front of me. It has been referred to as the banana for 25 years because of the shape of all the management units when grouped together off the Fraser River mouth. Basically the management units off the river mouth are closed now. Go to the fisheries website and you will see where you are supposed to fish. Generally it is not a huge impact not being allowed inside the boundaries, but it is nice not too have the restrictions in place when fishing that area.
Asian dudes and Eastern Europeon dudes up at Jones bar! And even some white ones born and raised in B.C...

Come on guys we're all sports fishers. Let's not start a huge flossing flame war on the Saltwater thread. There's no point. It's done. The river is closed, so there's no point in arguing about it. Let's all put the Hatchets away for a few mins. If we using our fileting knives to clean a few fish nobody would be arguing, but it's been a tough summer. It is what it is, let not beat up on each other out of frustration.

amen to that you couldn't pay me to buy that ****
These natives clean the fish and pack them in ice then deliver to your door, the poachers up the river have them sitting in garbage cans for a day or longer and don't even clean them. The natives did really well so far.

And now back to the fishing reports......out today at Sandheads, fished 6 am-2pm. Chovies, hoochies and spoons, no luck for us.
Although all those dogfish really enjoyed the chovies.
We didn't see any other boats around us hooking up either.
Wind and weather were good, unfortunately the salmon weren't cooperating.

Not wrong bout the dogfish. I hooked 7 of them, switched to hoochies and they stayed away.
One rod pop, but lost it. Prob was another dog though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back